3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (6.7L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 6.7L ONLY!

6.7 VGT: Cleaning Soot from Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 09:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6.7 VGT: Cleaning Soot from Turbo

ok i had a 5.9 for ever and now i have a 6.7. i have been wanting to mod it since i had bought it, but didnt have the money. perform service light and engine light has been on for a month and fuel gauge has died. take it to dealer. $1100 for egr and turbo cleaning, $450 for fuel sending unit.

so instead of paying the dealer $1100 i am gonna delete egr and cooler, dpf delete, 5" exhaust, and a smarty jr. maybe add a smoke switch later.

my question is about cleaning the soot from the turbo. how would one go about this?

what size is the stock exhaust? i am thinking about just putting a piece of exhasut tubing in place of all that other junk.

thanks guys
Old 11-17-2010, 03:07 PM
"California Style"

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
There is a special port on the turbo (or it needs to be drilled/added) and some cleaning fluid is injected. There is some process to it. Maybe some here knows more specifics.

The stock exhaust is 4" and this is more than adequate. That's what I did was bolt in a delete pipe. Simple, and spend your $ on other stuff.
Old 11-17-2010, 04:07 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For the price of a delete pipe just for the Nox cat and DPF, you can get an entire downpipe set to go from the turbo to the muffler. That would be my suggestion, $250 should do it.
Old 11-17-2010, 04:53 PM
"California Style"

Originally Posted by Lil Dog
For the price of a delete pipe just for the Nox cat and DPF, you can get an entire downpipe set to go from the turbo to the muffler. That would be my suggestion, $250 should do it.
That's what I'd do, but don't want to hassle with removing the crossmember or sawzall to the stock exhaust... Especially, when I most likely will need to remove/replace every couple years for smog...

Delete pipe is 3 flange bolts and a muffler clamp... You can have your own pipe made for less than $80 if needed.
Old 11-17-2010, 06:08 PM

i am just gonna go to local muffler shop and let them do it...i live in alabama, so it will be hmm 100 years before they do smog checks here!!

do you think there would be any sound difference in the 4" vs the 5". i want louder...i miss my 5.9.

i am not looking for any extra power so do you guys recommend the tv delete and the air intake...just remove the baffle and im good to go?

love the sites guys. my head is hurting from reading 6 hrs of posts!
Old 11-17-2010, 06:27 PM
Chapter President

You are not running a programmer to drop the DPF? The HP increase would come with that if you want to use it and take care of the EGR (the real engine clogger) and intake throttle valve.
Old 11-17-2010, 06:27 PM
"California Style"

Sounds like you need to just read Blake's tutorial which is a sticky at the head of this forum and go the full delete route and get rid of everything you can. Most people seem to like the sound of the 5".
Old 11-17-2010, 06:34 PM

so instead of paying the dealer $1100 i am gonna delete egr and cooler, dpf delete, 5" exhaust, and a smarty jr. maybe add a smoke switch later.

i have read the sticky...twice. maybe it mentions what needs to be done regarding the tv and air intake, will read a third time.

is there a noticeable sound difference btwn 4" and 5'?

thanks
Old 11-17-2010, 06:50 PM
"California Style"

Originally Posted by king cotton

i have read the sticky...twice. maybe it mentions what needs to be done regarding the tv and air intake, will read a third time.

is there a noticeable sound difference btwn 4" and 5'?

thanks
Don't get lost in the needs vs. the wants. The TV and Intake are not must haves, but are nice to have.
Old 11-17-2010, 10:31 PM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by mega-engr
Don't get lost in the needs vs. the wants. The TV and Intake are not must haves, but are nice to have.
Agreed..
Old 11-18-2010, 09:52 AM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Well said. Full deletes will not net much of a gain in the performance or MPG side of things, but are more for a "I can so I will" peace of mind.

Full deletes lend more to a physical benefit also, Ive now got a ton of room under the hood to play with.
Old 11-18-2010, 04:37 PM

Anyone have a pic of the cleaning port and the procedure for cleaning the turbo?

When I did my deletes, the down pipe had a good coating of soot on it. Looked like a chimny. I can only assume the turbo was dirty. I've been running it hard every now and then hoping it would help clear out some of the soot in that might be remaining.

ben
Old 11-18-2010, 04:59 PM
Cummins Guru

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts
Here you go.
Old 11-18-2010, 05:05 PM
"California Style"

As time goes on deleted or undeleted, this document will certainly be in demand I think. Might end up as a sticky.
Old 11-19-2010, 06:54 AM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
As time goes on deleted or undeleted, this document will certainly be in demand I think. Might end up as a sticky.
Done.

I did change the title a bit. Hope Mr Cotton doesnt mind.

Quick Reply: 6.7 VGT: Cleaning Soot from Turbo