3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

timing, rokktec, timing boxes, how do they relate?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2006, 06:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
timing, rokktec, timing boxes, how do they relate?

Someone please explain the dif to me. I have never owned a diesel before this one. I know cam and ignition timing on my race car but I am lost on this diesel thing.

I am confused on all these talks on timing.
does the tone/ring rokk tec sensor and the way say a timing box changes the timing one and the same?
I ask because so many people talk about the tone ring mod and that is max of about 2degrees and some folks say that their perfomance was worse or their mileage went down. also that it has more clatter.

so how does a timing box differ? isn't the tst a timing box and with 9 level, how much can it be changing the timing? ok, I could ramble forever and I am sure you guys know what I am asking, so please fill me in or am I way off here.
Old 01-08-2006, 07:18 PM

the roktech sensor and the tone ring mod does the same thing. the principle of injector pump timing is much the same as distributer and spark plug timing on your race car. i'm sure your well awhere of advancing the timing say 36* or there abouts on a chevy. well the same prinicple applys to diesels, just we are referring to injector pump timing not spark.

the roktech sensor adds 2* of advanced timing, not nearly as much as a gasser. the tone ring will do same thing, but u can mill the ring and get alittle more timing out of it. mine's 2.5* and the engine is actually quiter and smoother at idle.

timing boxes do the same thing too, but they will increase timing alot more than the sensor or ring would. the TST on level nine probably increase the timing alot. so much so that it would be hard starting. (cranks long)
Old 01-08-2006, 07:27 PM

Thanks, I thought it was the same, I just can't understand why so many people have posted that they have no dif with the sensor or it actually hurt performance or made to much clatter. there are a ton of folks running TSt boxes and I don't hear that from them. Maybe I am trying to think to much. Thanks for the description though.
Old 01-08-2006, 07:34 PM

ron, that's an interesting question, one that i'm really not sure i know the answer to. why is every engine alittle different? i guess it's the same reason why timing on gasser is alittle different for each engine too. take 2 similar small blocks, one will run better with 34* timing, the other 36*. oh well
Old 01-08-2006, 07:37 PM

yeah I hear ya, I just guess I had too much time to think. I mean with 9 levels on the TST and the performance it adds, it just seems that there has to be some other factor involved. Oh well. I will let it go.
Old 02-21-2006, 03:39 PM
Banned

Well I will post results when I get them as well, just got off the website from buying the sensor, I looked under the truck at the tone ring and did not want to deal with getting in there and doing the work so the sensor is on its way. quick link again for those interested. http://www.rokktech.com/_mgxroot/page_10437.html
Old 02-21-2006, 03:50 PM

The big difference is in the amount of timing. With the roktek or the tone ring mod you are tricking the computer to gain 2 degrees of base timing. This timing is always the same. Same as base or initial timing on a gasser. With a timing box you are adjusting the timing curve across the board. Same principle as adding vacuum and mechanical advance to the gasser.
Old 02-21-2006, 05:24 PM

Now there is an answer that makes it a little more clear and to think I didn't even think about that. So these boxes are adjusting the timing as the load differs? thanks for that.
Old 02-21-2006, 06:50 PM

thats correct i believe....2 degrees timing across the board with a sensor/ring mod,,,,with a box,similar to a vacuum advance,adds more timing proportionally with revs....tst i think says they add up to 12 degrees...........bama
Old 02-21-2006, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by bama
thats correct i believe....2 degrees timing across the board with a sensor/ring mod,,,,with a box,similar to a vacuum advance,adds more timing proportionally with revs....tst i think says they add up to 12 degrees...........bama
Can anyone varify just how much timing the TST actually adds? And am I hearing right that it senses how much is good and how much is too much with changing conditions while it remains on the same setting?
Good Thread!
Old 02-23-2006, 07:03 PM
Banned

sensor arrived and installed, boy this looked simple, untill I tried to unplug the sensor from the harness. almost not enough clearance to get the connector off! got it and the install went ok. Started truck, sounded about like normal, reved it, again normal. Took for a short test drive just to make sure I wouldn't somehow strand myself tomorrow morning on the way to work and it felt a bit peppier, not off the wall noticable. I will most likely top off the tank saturday and get a good run with it sunday, bout a 125 mile trip scheduled. Will report back after this next tank is done and mileage is hand calculated.......... can't get much worse, 12.6 mpg last tank and that was with 32 oz power service white bottle.
Old 02-24-2006, 01:54 PM

hey there , 2003 dodge ram. tryin to mod the crank sensor and ring, any body direct me to some info on how to do that??

thanx
Old 02-24-2006, 02:12 PM

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...=tone+ring+mod

post number 8....