3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Switching from TST to Smarty...Maybe.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Switching from TST to Smarty...Maybe.

Reason for switch:

I currently have the TST Powermax CR PDA. I used to run a bully dog, which has since been removed, but some of the auxiliary setups I changed with the bully dog remained, even after I "returned to stock", such as speedo adjustment, high beam + fog, etc.

Please comment on any of these bullet points if you have an opinion.

1) The primary reason for the switch is that I throw a lot of codes, and I feel that the additional wiring with the TST, is at the very least, not helping the cause.

2) I have not been following the forum much, but it seems that the Smarty still gets the "peoples choice" award, EFI live seems to get equally good reviews, but I'm in the "multi-tune" camp.

3) I assume all I'd need to do is take the TST off, to restore the wiring to stock, and plug in the smarty, retaining the parameters I set up with the bullydog, that I don't think I can set with smarty (lighting, door locking, etc), or would I be best to get an OEM flash. To be clear, bully dog was "returned to stock" not just set on no added power, when I quit using it. I was surprised the other parameters I set stayed.

4) Can the power levels with the smarty be changed "on the fly" as in while I am moving, or would I need to stop.

5) I welcome any other comments.

Thanks
Old 04-02-2013, 09:47 AM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Some complexity to your situation, I don't think you'll get all you desire regardless of the direction you choose.

First, I run a Smarty/TST stack so I know both well. The TST is just a suppliment and gauges now. The smarty is that much better. The TST is infamous for throwing a few codes- the crank position sensor the most common. Smarty adds more power, less smoke and lower egts than TST.

I would say regardless of what you choose, do a full dealer flash with the ECM. Bullydog was also infamous for frying ECMs. Sometimes there will not be backward compatibility going from Bullydog to Smarty. That is sometimes-- I personally wouldn't chance it and have to buy an ECM as a result. This is just internet advice though... caveat emptor. This means possibly losing some of the goodies (like highbeam + fog) left over from Bullydog.

Smarty has "power on demand" or "POD" which allows you to detune on the fly. This is not the same as changing tunes though and requires the unit to be hooked up which is cumbersome. Changing the actual tune requires stopping and takes about 5 minutes to download.

Then there is EFI. Very good reviews indeed and provides maximum tunablity. Smarty also provides a similar product with "UDC" which provides "3D" tuning like EFI. Either are good although EFI is more refined/user friendly.

I don't think you can go wrong with either EFI or Smarty. The real difference is whether you want to really play with the fine adjustments to suit you (EFI) or like well developed stand alone tunes (smarty-- although you can buy stand alone tunes from many sources now for EFI and it will come with base tunes as well)

Good luck
Old 06-10-2013, 05:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
soulezoo, Thanks the in depth reply.

I had been experiencing some off and on electronics problems that were resulting in dramatic loss of power. I thought it may have been in the TST harness, but turned out it was my dipricol rail pressure gauge, I unhooked it and everything was good. I still throw occasional codes, but I'm not going into limp mode, so I feel better about life!

Now that I'm not in a hurry to get rid of the TST wiring, I'm thinking of stacking with smarty. Do you just set your TST to 0 on everything then tune with smarty? Will this give me the smooth smokeless power of smarty the 99% of the time I want that, then I can use the TST for additional fuel the 1% of the time I want that?
Old 06-10-2013, 06:11 PM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
I agree with the advice soulezoo has given you on the TST Powermax and the Smarty. Soulezoo has been a good member here and he has alot of experience with many of the performance products we all run on our trucks.

FWIW,...I also run them both on my 2006 Dodge CTD CR Pickup and love them both. I have NEVER had ANY of the issues with the codes on the TST that many here claim they have had. Maybe I am just lucky. My Smarty TNT R stacked with the TST makes great power when I want it and I can still turn everything down when I tow. EFI Live is a good alternative too but it can pricey from some of the vendors.

Good luck Sir!

---------
John_P
Old 06-10-2013, 07:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've had the PMCR R49 for almost 1 year. It set the crank sensor a couple of time, early in the game, but not again since. I love all the features but it's not as zippy, down low rpm, like my Predator. The TST looks at boost to help control smoke and that probably why. I've had AC gremlins, common when used with aftermarket lift pumps, but I've changed some grounding point and worked around that one. I was having long crank times but I've figured out how to cure most of that, too. Overall, I still really like it and love the true change-on-the-fly and turbo cool down. My egt is way cool towing and I gained 2 mpg - 14 towing now. Maybe I'll try stacking w/smarty someday. I thought TST had so much trouble with the comm system on the 06-07s and they gave up on a box for those years. Craig
Old 06-12-2013, 10:18 AM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by maddog1927
soulezoo, Thanks the in depth reply.

I had been experiencing some off and on electronics problems that were resulting in dramatic loss of power. I thought it may have been in the TST harness, but turned out it was my dipricol rail pressure gauge, I unhooked it and everything was good. I still throw occasional codes, but I'm not going into limp mode, so I feel better about life!

Now that I'm not in a hurry to get rid of the TST wiring, I'm thinking of stacking with smarty. Do you just set your TST to 0 on everything then tune with smarty? Will this give me the smooth smokeless power of smarty the 99% of the time I want that, then I can use the TST for additional fuel the 1% of the time I want that?
As my TST is (or at least "seems") old now, it throws the crank code every start up. I've learned to live with it, and it does not affect performance.

What you describe above is correct, or at least this is what I do. I run the smarty as the "primary" and do all tuning and adjustment through it. On the TST, I do not run any timing through it, nor do I use the fuel pressure adjustment. (I run dual pumps and the TST tends to surge the pumps a lot if I use pressure adjustment through the TST). I run the TST on "late twins" tuning (on mine, this shows as "TT05"). This is the most aggressive tune-- as opposed to standard, economy or "early twins-- TT03". Using this, I can only go to level 2. Some are able to use level 3. (naturally level 1 is timing only which you should keep at stock and allow the smarty to use its dynamic timing) but BEWARE! Watch your gauges very closely. The TST will add quite a bit over the smarty as it is now able to exceed ECM limits. You will see spool much faster, with higher EGTS, and more smoke than smarty alone. This is due to the agressiveness of the TST. Part of the warning is because you can have so much duration and duration overlap that it is possible to torch a piston top (injector still spraying after ignition within the combustion chamber) or hang an injector open which will accomplish the same.

I put the warning for you in strong terms so you heed the possible consequences. The TST will do this regardless of smarty settings.

I don't know if you reload firearm cartridges... but the principles in reloading apply here... start low and build up being very careful to observe the warning signs. Stop when you see EGTs higher than what you are comfortable with.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I finally got around to calling Mark and I just needed to run a little RP to perk up the bottom end. I'm very happy with it now and I won't stack with a smarty. I tried it just for kicks and TT05 was way too smoky. I run 12 Timing, 3 RP, 3 TQ and 7 HP and it does better than any of the Diablo stack tunes and egt maxxes at 1350. That's my comfort limit. I will go back to 12 Timing, 0 RP, 3 TQ and 2 HP for towing and that gives me plenty of power (better than Pred 100 which I thought was great for towing) really low egt and awesome mpg. I still want to play with the timing. Mark says 12 is plenty but that sounds low to me. My 97 P7100 had 13.5 built in and I added 4 when I lived at high altitude and it did great. That's for the advice on the excessive fueling! Craig