3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Smarty Revolution vs Smarty POD vs Smarty JR

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 11:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Smarty Revolution vs Smarty POD vs Smarty JR

I’m ready to buy a Smarty but not sure which one. Can someone advise the main differences between the SMARTY REVOLUTION and the SMARTY POD? According to the product description, the SMARTY POD has the “REVO parameters”. Does that mean both programmers do the same, except the POD can be changed on demand? Or is there a benefit to either one?

Also, besides maximum horsepower, can the Smarty JR (POD) do everything the Smarty SR (POD) and the REVO can? I’m ready to make my purchase, but reading all the posts about Smarty has caused more confusion for me. I'd hate to purchase one only to find out the "other model" had more options for my needs.
As far as the TNT version goes, I’m assuming that’s a more extreme HP programmer, which isn’t for me.

Thanks for any and all input.
Old 04-12-2011, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by stock03
Does that mean both programmers do the same, except the POD can be changed on demand?
Bingo! You are 100% correct here. Revo is just the name of the standard software that comes with the Smarty. I believe MADS has stopped selling the S06 and you can now only purchase the S06 PoD. The software is the same for both programmers, the only difference is the PoD is adjustable on the fly. With the PoD, you set the programmer at the level you want (level 0-9) and you can adjust the TOTAL power output on the fly.

Here's an example:
Revo level 3 is 60 additional horsepower. You must first load level 3 into your truck's computer with the Smarty. This must be done with the truck parked and engine off. Once the programming is complete, you can leave the Smarty plugged in and adjust the TOTAL power on the fly by typing in a % of total power (from 0-99) on the Smarty. This means if you have a 325hp truck and the Smarty is set at level 3 and 50%, you have 192hp. (325+60)*50%. To get the full power potential of level 3 (385 total hp), you must type in 99.

The TNT is just a different software and can be loaded onto the smarty for free from the MADS website (www.madselectronics.com). It is more extreme and is not a good idea to run it on a stock truck. I believe the minimum requirements are upgraded lift pump, injectors, turbo, and CP3.

I would recommend visiting the MADS website to learn more about the difference between the Smarty Jr and the Smarty Sr.
Old 04-12-2011, 03:06 PM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by randallp84
Bingo! You are 100% correct here. Revo is just the name of the standard software that comes with the Smarty. I believe MADS has stopped selling the S06 and you can now only purchase the S06 PoD. The software is the same for both programmers, the only difference is the PoD is adjustable on the fly. With the PoD, you set the programmer at the level you want (level 0-9) and you can adjust the TOTAL power output on the fly.

Here's an example:
Revo level 3 is 60 additional horsepower. You must first load level 3 into your truck's computer with the Smarty. This must be done with the truck parked and engine off. Once the programming is complete, you can leave the Smarty plugged in and adjust the TOTAL power on the fly by typing in a % of total power (from 0-99) on the Smarty. This means if you have a 325hp truck and the Smarty is set at level 3 and 50%, you have 192hp. (325+60)*50%. To get the full power potential of level 3 (385 total hp), you must type in 99.

The TNT is just a different software and can be loaded onto the smarty for free from the MADS website (www.madselectronics.com). It is more extreme and is not a good idea to run it on a stock truck. I believe the minimum requirements are upgraded lift pump, injectors, turbo, and CP3.

I would recommend visiting the MADS website to learn more about the difference between the Smarty Jr and the Smarty Sr.

Awesome, thanks for the info! The more I read about Smarty, the more questions I have; I'm used to the "3-power levels, via toggle switch”. haha

Just to clarify, is the Jr just less power? If that’s the only difference, I think that will work for me. I’m not looking for a race truck, but I miss having the extra power my Van Aakens had. I ran that on the tow mode (65hp I think), and it was great.

Again, thanks for your help. I'll be purchasing my Smarty very soon.
Old 04-12-2011, 03:22 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The Jr doesn't offer the option for turning the wastegate on/off, its always off, nor can you adjust rail pressure or shift defuel. The Jr is more for stock trucks and the Sr is the all out.

Randall offered a good description of PoD, but I want to clarify that its not linear. Really what it seems to do is effect the pedal input to the ECM. Under normal conditions the APPS sends throttle signal to the ECM in 100 increments, 0-99. What I notice PoD doing is recailbrating that signal, so if you were PoD 50 and WOT the ECM would only be fueling like you were at 50% throttle and PoD 99. This doesn't equate to a linear power decrease, and based on tuning/mods each truck will react different. I like PoD 75 in the winter as the throttle is less touchy, and PoD 40 on dirt roads to keep the tires from spinning so easily.. I'll never tow with the PoD on anything but 99, because I want my full fuel pedal.
Old 04-12-2011, 03:33 PM

Thanks for the clarification. That makes more sense to me.
Old 04-12-2011, 03:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
quick question

Hello everyone - since this thread is about the three smartys, I would like to get your opinon on which controller is right for me. I have a 2004.5 truck wtih a mileage max. Right now I get right around 10mpg when towing a 33' gooseneck trailer with 2 cars in it. The trailer is 5300lbs empty, cars are typically 3500lbs each. Empty I get around 11 or slightly better. I do drive 75mph, sometimes a bit faster when it is flat. I am looking for a smarty to increase mpg when towing. My thoughts is that the jr is fine for my needs. From my understanding I can adjust timing as well as fuel with the jr. Is there anything that the smarty senior will give me that the Jr does not when it comes to my need of a daily driver / towing? I do not race the truck - I have a mustang for that need of speed.

Currently on the flats with a loaded trailer at 75mph the EGTs are around / slightly less than 900F, boost is at 18 psi. Tranny temps are typically 100 degrees over ambient (outside) temperature.

On a seperate topic, my truck has a donaldson muffler, I do not know the part number. i believe it has 4" in and 4" out and is around 50" long. Quiet at 18psi boost but truck gets LOUD at 24+psi of boost when climbing a hill. I was wondering if adding foam to the rear cab of the truck where those vents are would help. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 04-12-2011, 03:45 PM

If I did not mention it, I am looking to get your feedback on getting either a Smarty SR or JR. I think the JR is right for me but I would like your opinions.

Thanks
Scott
Old 04-12-2011, 04:22 PM

The Jr sounds like a good option for you. I would be looking into better fuel filtration ASAP towing with a pressure box.
Old 04-12-2011, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by AH64ID
The Jr doesn't offer the option for turning the wastegate on/off, its always off, nor can you adjust rail pressure or shift defuel. The Jr is more for stock trucks and the Sr is the all out.

Randall offered a good description of PoD, but I want to clarify that its not linear. Really what it seems to do is effect the pedal input to the ECM. Under normal conditions the APPS sends throttle signal to the ECM in 100 increments, 0-99. What I notice PoD doing is recailbrating that signal, so if you were PoD 50 and WOT the ECM would only be fueling like you were at 50% throttle and PoD 99. This doesn't equate to a linear power decrease, and based on tuning/mods each truck will react different. I like PoD 75 in the winter as the throttle is less touchy, and PoD 40 on dirt roads to keep the tires from spinning so easily.. I'll never tow with the PoD on anything but 99, because I want my full fuel pedal.
Thanks for the info, now it’s making more sense to me. But I have a few more questions before I buy:

What are the benefits of the SR (besides wastegate options, rail-pressure, and shift-defuel) vs the JR: I'm not sure if the wastegate applies to my truck , because there are no electrical connectors on my turbo. The last time I ran a “pressure box” on my truck, the injectors rattles, so I probably won’t raise the rail-pressure. Would shift-defuel be beneficial for a standard transmission?
Old 04-12-2011, 04:41 PM

The biggest advantage to the SR (other than those you just mentioned) is you will probably never outgrow it, no matter what kind of mods you do. Not saying the Jr isn't a great product, I just don't see the point when you can be as mild as you want with the Sr and still have more potential than you will probably ever need. This is why I bought the Sr. If I decide I want to add a bigger turbo and injectors and an upgraded CP3, I can go as big as I want and still have the programming to get the full benefit of those components.

If you never plan to upgrade any of the stock mechanical components, I guess it may be worth it to save a little money and go with the Jr.

The wastegate option only works on the 04.5+ trucks with the electronic wastegate.

As far as the shift de-fuel, I have no idea what he's talking about unless it's built into the software because I know you can't adjust it separately like you can timing, rail pressure, torque management, and wastegate. If it does exist, I would assume it would be for automatics only.
Old 04-12-2011, 05:08 PM

What does the wastegate option on the SR do? Does it allow the boost to go higher than what Dodge intended or set the truck up for? For me, I can not see having any more boost than 30 psi. Seems more boost is more fuel which is less MPG.
My goal is to have a truck with low end grunt that can tow with little pedal position. I guess that is a dream goal to have.
Old 04-12-2011, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by randallp84
The biggest advantage to the SR (other than those you just mentioned) is you will probably never outgrow it, no matter what kind of mods you do. Not saying the Jr isn't a great product, I just don't see the point when you can be as mild as you want with the Sr and still have more potential than you will probably ever need. This is why I bought the Sr. If I decide I want to add a bigger turbo and injectors and an upgraded CP3, I can go as big as I want and still have the programming to get the full benefit of those components.

If you never plan to upgrade any of the stock mechanical components, I guess it may be worth it to save a little money and go with the Jr.

The wastegate option only works on the 04.5+ trucks with the electronic wastegate.

As far as the shift de-fuel, I have no idea what he's talking about unless it's built into the software because I know you can't adjust it separately like you can timing, rail pressure, torque management, and wastegate. If it does exist, I would assume it would be for automatics only.
I don't plan on upgrading my truck for competition and such, but I agree with you about the idea of having a programmer that has the potential for extreme upgrades/power just in case I decide to go fast.

However, I’m really interested in what the shift-defuel does for a standard transmission.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by nvr-enuf
What does the wastegate option on the SR do? Does it allow the boost to go higher than what Dodge intended or set the truck up for? For me, I can not see having any more boost than 30 psi. Seems more boost is more fuel which is less MPG.
My goal is to have a truck with low end grunt that can tow with little pedal position. I guess that is a dream goal to have.
Both the Jr and the SR with the WG off allow for more boost that stock. On the lower power levels your not over boosting the stock turbo, but are getting more cooling air. You do run higher drive pressure, but the stock turbo isn't very good about drive pressure anyhow. 35-38 psi is the top of the efficancy range, and can easily be done without more fuel.

The smarty adds timing which adds fuel economy. The low end isn't effected with the WG setting at all, but the added boost on hills really helps cool. You will get more boost for the same fuel as the WG isn't diverting flow.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:31 AM

This imo of all the Smarty's

Revolution - truck with mods, injectors, turbo, built auto/aftermarket clutch, guy races or pulls on occasion.

Revo - stock truck, or stock truck with mild mods, like intake/exhaust, possible mild injectors and hybrid turbo, possbble trans work, guy does not race or pull, used as a towing/everyday vehicle. User wants to adjust timing, But added price is costly.

JR - stock truck, or stock truck with mild mods, like intake/exhaust, possible mild injectors and hybrid turbo, guy does not race or pull, used as a towing/everyday vehicle. User doesn't care about adjusting options, just wants to plug and play easy use. User wants low cost.

TNT programming - heavy mods, races, truck pulls, built auto, dd clutches, big turbo, big sticks, user is there own warranty station
Old 04-13-2011, 06:43 PM

Timing with Smarty JR

I assume that I should remove my Quadzilla mileage MAX box when I get my smarty JR (should be here by end of the week). For mileage, can I get the Rotech timing adjuster? Does anyone know what the smarty JR does for advancing the timing? When do I know if I have reached the limits of adding timing? Is it EGT? From my understanding I want NOx coming out of the exhaust to have a lean / complete burn therefore good fuel economy / power / Effiency.

Thanks
Scott

Quick Reply: Smarty Revolution vs Smarty POD vs Smarty JR