3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Rail pressure gauge questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 08:16 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
Rail pressure gauge questions

Thinking about installing a fuel rail pressure gauge. Looks like I only have one choice, Autometer. Any other brands to consider? Want the face to match my existing gauges.

The instructions for this say; To install the gauge you will need to tap into the factory wiring harness as it does not come with a factory-type plug. Can anybody tell me what this means? Is there an existing harness that I tap into, or do I need to buy something else from another supplier or even Dodge? Is there a rail pressure sensor already on my truck that I tap into?

I am nervous about buying this now in case I get it here and find that I need other 'stuff' to make it operational.

Any other sources to consider besides Genos?
Old 02-23-2017, 07:06 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Stan,
I've had a quadzilla electronic rail pressure gauge for years, and it finally went to gauge heaven (or hell)...

I'll do my best to help you out, as I'm searching for a new gauge. You shouldn't have to tap into anything serious, should be a straight forward install.

I'll get back to you if I do something in the next few weeks.

mad
Old 02-23-2017, 07:35 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Mark, thanks for the response. Been doing lots of digging myself and discovered another diesel site that had a fair bit of info about this. In all the years that I have owned this truck, have never really taken note of that thingy next to the relief valve on the common rail. Never had any problems that would make me look at it. From what I can ascertain, that thingy is a pressure sensor. Seems like it is necessary to unplug the harness from this sensor, plug in the new plug and harness and then plug the OE harness into that. Sounds very simple. Plug and play.

May order this tomorrow and see if I can find a techie type there that can confirm this before actually placing the order. I am more confident now that the new gauge will work, but it would still be nice to have some live body confirm this.

Must admit that I am surprised that so many folks have looked at this question and only you responded. I mistakenly thought that this would have been a fairly simple question for the gearheads and diesel sniffers here to answer
Old 02-24-2017, 10:08 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
My cts 2 moniters rail pressure, not sure where its picking up the signal at.
Old 02-24-2017, 11:43 AM

It is where it picks up the signal that concerns me.
Old 02-24-2017, 03:08 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Mexstan
Mark, thanks for the response. Been doing lots of digging myself and discovered another diesel site that had a fair bit of info about this. In all the years that I have owned this truck, have never really taken note of that thingy next to the relief valve on the common rail. Never had any problems that would make me look at it. From what I can ascertain, that thingy is a pressure sensor. Seems like it is necessary to unplug the harness from this sensor, plug in the new plug and harness and then plug the OE harness into that. Sounds very simple. Plug and play.

May order this tomorrow and see if I can find a techie type there that can confirm this before actually placing the order. I am more confident now that the new gauge will work, but it would still be nice to have some live body confirm this.
Stan that's how it hooks up I have the autometer guage on my truck the hardest part is wiring the guage light into the headlight switch so you can adjust brightness.
That guage helps diagnosis/ give early warning on any fuel related problem
Old 02-26-2017, 07:32 AM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
It should be picking up the signal from the factory RP sensor if it plugs in at the OBD2 port, thats how I read mine with my computer hooked up to the truck...
Old 02-26-2017, 09:08 PM

After more research and a chat with Genos it appears that the Autometer rail pressure harness taps into the existing harness. The Isspro gauge is a plug and play as it has a plug that goes directly on to the sensor and the OE harness goes into that. So far I think that I will go with the Isspro. Once I have the gauge and have it installed and working will let y'all know how it worked out an post some pictures. It may take a while.
Old 02-27-2017, 06:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I picked up a set of used glow shift gauges, the rail pressure gauge comes with a harness that plugs in line with the factory wiring. It's an easy install..
Old 02-28-2017, 08:27 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
mextan genos is the best, the tap is very easy, about one minute max time, why bother with the light, waste of time, you are going to use it to spot troubles and do not need it lit up, we add a autometer to our rigs when we are trying to diagnose a problem and just leave them installed on the truck, here is a pix of where we mount them, this truck had three different problems that were intermittent and saved us weeks of troubleshooting time. one caused by faulty ats part, one by ats mechanic improper connect and last a sticky fca, for the purist none of my autometer gauges are accurate, the one in the pix reads 11% high but this is no big deal.
http://i1141.photobucket.com/albums/.../gauge/278.jpg