3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

OBD II digital gauges?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2016, 04:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OBD II digital gauges?

I want to replace my POS Glowshift gauges. I currently have the EGT and Transmission Temp gauges. I don't necessarily need, nor want, more gauges but would consider it. What I really need to know is if there is a product out there that gets the needed information directly from the OBD II port and converts it into usable information in the form of a digital gauge. At this point I'm not particular whether it's a gauge that will mount on my A pillar or a free standing gauge. Thanks for any responses.
Old 12-20-2016, 06:24 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Smarty Touch.
Old 12-22-2016, 12:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the reply. I also looked at Edge products. It appears that both the Smarty and Edge digital gauges include a programmer. I already have a Smarty Jr. so all I'm really looking for is a gauges only product that connects through the OBD II port. Is there any such thing? Thanks.
Old 12-22-2016, 08:12 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
This is a monitor only, no programmer. I thought i recall smarty offering the same thing but i cannot find it.

Insight Cts2 84130
Old 12-23-2016, 01:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the Insight CTS2 gauges. You will probably need to buy the EGT sensor that works with it (which is what I did). The OBD port provides all other input for my gauges. It includes the TFT (trans fluid temp) from the stock sensor. I believe you can add an analog trans temp sensor if you wish. For me, I like to watch the EGT, TFT and ECT (coolant temp) when I'm towing. I also have mine configured to report rail pressure and boost.

It works very well. However, if you don't let it fully initialize (i.e. start the engine and shut it off too soon), it sometimes gets stuck and requires a reboot (unplug/replug). Other than that, I've had no issues with it.
Old 01-15-2017, 09:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NJMurvin
I have the Insight CTS2 gauges. You will probably need to buy the EGT sensor that works with it (which is what I did). The OBD port provides all other input for my gauges. It includes the TFT (trans fluid temp) from the stock sensor. I believe you can add an analog trans temp sensor if you wish. For me, I like to watch the EGT, TFT and ECT (coolant temp) when I'm towing. I also have mine configured to report rail pressure and boost.

It works very well. However, if you don't let it fully initialize (i.e. start the engine and shut it off too soon), it sometimes gets stuck and requires a reboot (unplug/replug). Other than that, I've had no issues with it.
I went from analog guages to a Quadzilla module (now out of business) to the Edge Insight.
IMHO, the Insight is decent, but way over priced. They get ya on the connection system when you want to add things. I think I spent right at a grand for EGT/Tranny/Boost and a back up camera.
I havent seen the Smarty unit, but given that company's diligence and continued support, I wouldnt hesitate to go with them.
Old 01-18-2017, 10:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JThiessen
I went from analog guages to a Quadzilla module (now out of business) to the Edge Insight.
IMHO, the Insight is decent, but way over priced. They get ya on the connection system when you want to add things. I think I spent right at a grand for EGT/Tranny/Boost and a back up camera.
I havent seen the Smarty unit, but given that company's diligence and continued support, I wouldnt hesitate to go with them.
I paid $500 for the Insight Monitor and the EGT Expandable starter kit. If all you will ever need is the EGT, then the dedicated sensor is cheaper. I use the factory sensors for tranny and boost. If I were to do it again, I probably would have seriously considered the Smarty Touch because I am now wishing for a tad more towing power when pulling my 12.5K fifth wheel.