3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

New to Cummins.

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2016, 03:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to Cummins.

Greetings Ladies and Gents. I just bought my first Cummins. 2006 with the 5.9 and love driving it around. It's got 125k miles, 6" lift and 33" tires. Straight pipe from the turbo back. Other than the straight pipe and the lift I don't think it's been molested at all from what I can tell. Looking for a way to find out if everything is running the way it's supposed to in the motor. Nothing sounds out of place but I just want to be extra sure there isn't anything I should replace before I start modding. What are some things I should look out for/ be the first to replace or add. I'm aiming for a decent HP boost while maintaining fuel economy all while making sure my engine is bulletproof. If there's a thread that can answer all these questions than I'd love to read it. Also my name is Russ and I live in Virginia Beach. If anyone is in the area that would like to chill and go over our trucks than I'd be more than happy to bring the beers. Cheers guys
Old 10-28-2016, 09:44 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Hey, Russ, welcome to the DTR and to your new Cummins.

Check out your exhaust manifold, see if it has any plugs in it... meaning that it was tapped for a pyro and then capped/plugged.

You can do an oil sample and see how that looks to get a feel for what's going on inside the engine. I'd also test to coolant to see if that has been changed, it's due around 100k if I remember right.

Go to your dodge dealer and ask them to pull the records for the VIN to see if Dodge has done any maintenance on it.

I'm aiming for a decent HP boost while maintaining fuel economy all while making sure my engine is bulletproof.
When you say decent HP boost, what do you mean? A little pep in your step, or burn the back tires off of it? And the bulletproof engine... well, if you want one of those, you're going to have to dump about 20k into it for a bulletproof-ish engine That comment has a touch of humor in it... the stock engine is pretty solid at a 450-500 HP level as long as you take care of it (not running crazy timing, excessive fuel, high EGTs or boost).

Let me know what your goals are and I'll offer my suggestions.
Old 10-29-2016, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by madhat
Hey, Russ, welcome to the DTR and to your new Cummins.

Check out your exhaust manifold, see if it has any plugs in it... meaning that it was tapped for a pyro and then capped/plugged.

You can do an oil sample and see how that looks to get a feel for what's going on inside the engine. I'd also test to coolant to see if that has been changed, it's due around 100k if I remember right.

Go to your dodge dealer and ask them to pull the records for the VIN to see if Dodge has done any maintenance on it.

When you say decent HP boost, what do you mean? A little pep in your step, or burn the back tires off of it? And the bulletproof engine... well, if you want one of those, you're going to have to dump about 20k into it for a bulletproof-ish engine That comment has a touch of humor in it... the stock engine is pretty solid at a 450-500 HP level as long as you take care of it (not running crazy timing, excessive fuel, high EGTs or boost).

Let me know what your goals are and I'll offer my suggestions.
Great info thanks. I think 450-500 HP is right around where I'd like to be. A little pep in my step to put a smile on is what I'm after. You think there's anything wrong with doing a baseline fluid changeout of all the systems just to get my own solid timeframe? I think a sturdy maintenance schedule is a good idea.
Old 10-29-2016, 07:33 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

I don't think there is anything wrong with changing the fluids to get a baseline at all. Changing the coolant out can be a pain, I'd advise against using the draincock on the radiator, just pull the lower rad hose. When you flush the rad, sometimes an air pocket can get trapped in the head causing overheating. If you have any issues after flushing, there are a few threads on how to cure that here.

I'd say go with a mild turbo upgrade, some mild injectors, gauges and a solid programmer. 2006 can use EFI live, it's expensive, but the best tuner on the market. If you don't want to drop that kind of money, I'd say look at a smarty second. The plug and play boxes like an Edge are ok, but only at lower power levels.

With mild power upgrades, you're going to need to upgrade your torque converter at a minimum. Through painful experience, I've learned if you're going to do it, do it right the first time... flexplate, input, output, TC, deep pan...

Fuel delivery and filtration will be another thing you'll have to upgrade. There are a lot of high dollar pump/filter combos on the market, but if you take your time, you can find a reasonably priced stand alone pump and add your own filtration for a lot less than the combo.

I'm hesitant to give specifics on mods, you need to do the research and see what you want. Browse through the third gen forum, look at truck signatures and see what mods folks have that are similar to what you want. Take your time, ask questions.
Old 10-29-2016, 07:35 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

What kind of money are you looking at spending?
Old 10-29-2016, 09:32 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
madhat has you dialed in for sure!

I started out with a BullyDog TripleDog programmer... it was like $500 new back in 2006. I haven't changed since. It made a solid 420hp/800tq everything else being stock back when I only had 40k miles on my truck. I put 295k on it before my engine needed to be rebuilt. Now with the injectors and turbo, Im hoping to be in the +550hp range with great street manners and towing capability. Already in the tow/haul setting (+60hp) it runs just about as strong as when my programmer was turned up to the max before the rebuild. I have been happy with my BullyDog - though I know others have moved on to Smarty and now EFI Live for added performance.
Old 10-29-2016, 10:12 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Another good idea... There are a few truck chapters, I know we have a Virginia chapter, but I'm not sure if they're active. Find a truck meet, ask to ride in trucks to see how it feels with certain mods... maybe someone will have a smarty they can load on your truck so you can see what it feels like- I've done that for a few guys before.

I've got to warn you... this is addictive- and expensive. Don't try to blame me for your empty wallet in the future
Old 10-29-2016, 10:15 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Here is the VA link:
VADTR #7 - Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

I feel a little funny saying this... but don't forget there are other truck forums out there as well... The DTR might not have an active chapter in your area, but someone else might. You can spend a lot of money on a truck doing mods to it, I just want to make sure you have all the knowledge to do it right the first time. I got into diesel performance back in 04, I spent about 3k on stuff that I could have avoided if I would have done a little more homework.
Old 10-30-2016, 11:23 AM

Awesome info guys thanks for all the help. I'll try and get used to this forum setup and upload some pics of my build.
Old 10-31-2016, 02:53 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

I suggest just using a photsharing site like photobucket...
Old 11-06-2016, 03:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by madhat

I'd say go with a mild turbo upgrade, some mild injectors, gauges and a solid programmer. 2006 can use EFI live, it's expensive, but the best tuner on the market. If you don't want to drop that kind of money, I'd say look at a smarty second. The plug and play boxes like an Edge are ok, but only at lower power levels.

With mild power upgrades, you're going to need to upgrade your torque converter at a minimum. Through painful experience, I've learned if you're going to do it, do it right the first time... flexplate, input, output, TC, deep pan...

Fuel delivery and filtration will be another thing you'll have to upgrade. There are a lot of high dollar pump/filter combos on the market, but if you take your time, you can find a reasonably priced stand alone pump and add your own filtration for a lot less than the combo.
with just EFI live he will be in the 500HP area. injectors, turbo and a fuel pump are not needed at all for his goal, it would just be a waste of money unless he plans on more power in the future. better fuel filtration is a good ideal to have. the Donaldson P551313 is best fuel filter that you can get. its a 3m absolute filter. i know the tranny needs to be beefed up, but i have a manual and dont know enough to comment on what the auto tranny needs to hold the power. even the stock air box is good till around 500 HP.