3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Clutch Replacement-Flywheel Resurfacing??

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2006, 08:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch Replacement-Flywheel Resurfacing??

Installing a SBC Con FE next week. Service manual says not to resurface flywheel, SBC says to do it. Was wondering if anyone didnt resurface the flywheel? Besides losing warranty, what are the effects if i dont?
thanks Jon
Old 02-19-2006, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by Jnoble
Installing a SBC Con FE next week. Service manual says not to resurface flywheel, SBC says to do it. Was wondering if anyone didnt resurface the flywheel? Besides losing warranty, what are the effects if i dont?
thanks Jon
I have heard that the flywheel is not flat from the factory and the SB has to have a flat flywheel to mate with correctly. Have it ground , I won't put a new clutch in w/o having the flywheel machined. Listen to SB, it is their product, not Dodge's.
Old 02-19-2006, 09:32 PM

I just installed the FE a couple weeks ago. A little advice. Call and talk to Peter at Southbend. Ask him about just exchanging your stock flywheel with the small needle pilot bearing for one that Southbend has already flatened/surfaced and installed the heavyduty roller bearing. The exchange price will surprise you. Its cheap to say the least. I did it and it is worth every penny to just take the flywheel out of Southbends box install it and take your old one and ship it back. No hassle with any machine work and its already done to Southbends specs for the FE.