3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

CA smog, buying 2004 truck out of state

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 12:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CA smog, buying 2004 truck out of state

Talk with my mechanic about buying a truck out of state and he thinks it would be fine. I am driving out tomorrow to do the deal but have been speed reading about CA smog rules and my head is spinning only because I know nothing about the Dodge trucks. I have a 93 that requires no smog.

This is a 04 with a HO engine. I just read that it may not pass Ca smog as it was never legal in the state.
Old 02-16-2017, 12:52 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
I am certain you will have to make it CA compliant
Old 02-16-2017, 02:06 PM

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
as long as the truck is over 1 year old or has over 5,000 miles you can register it in Ca. it will be smoged as a federal (49 state smog requirement) you do not have to make it Ca compliant. check with your local smog shop or AAA office. the age or mileage requirement keeps people from buying a NEW truck or car that is not Ca. smog compliant and bringing it into Ca.if it is a year old or has over 5,000 (I think) miles it comes into Ca. as a used vehicle.
Old 02-16-2017, 04:26 PM

Oh good, that's good to know.
Old 02-16-2017, 09:33 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Yep. Smog it and weigh it and AAA will register it with membership. This keeps you out of the state DMV nightmare. As stated it will be smogged as a federal engine.
Public scales or a Mayflower branch will issue you a DMV certified weight.
That'll determine your weight fee. You will owe a use fee also(fancy word for sales tax) on the bill of sale. If you paid sales tax out of state the use fee will be waived.
Lot's of crap but once you get through it an '04 HO will be worth it.
After that smog every other year. If you run a tuner my smog guy has me set to stock and drive it a hundred miles before future smogging.
Old 02-16-2017, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by Danderson
Yep. Smog it and weigh it and AAA will register it with membership. This keeps you out of the state DMV nightmare. As stated it will be smogged as a federal engine.
Public scales or a Mayflower branch will issue you a DMV certified weight.
That'll determine your weight fee. You will owe a use fee also(fancy word for sales tax) on the bill of sale. If you paid sales tax out of state the use fee will be waived.
Lot's of crap but once you get through it an '04 HO will be worth it.
After that smog every other year. If you run a tuner my smog guy has me set to stock and drive it a hundred miles before future smogging.
I have never bought anything out of state before so go easy on me. Do you suggest I register it there or pay the sales tax in AZ? GEt it done at AAA there and register it in CA?

I just spoke with the seller, he said its the HO engine and its an 2004.5 truck.
Old 02-16-2017, 11:01 PM

What's so special about the Carli suspension compared to stock? Tuner? That means a computer chip to better power or...? AS you can tell by my questions, I am a total greenhorn when it comes to these trucks. I am the guys that just put in fuel and drive.
Old 02-17-2017, 12:29 AM

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts
My understanding is that there are no "CA" versions anymore but rather all vehicles are CA smog compliant as its too costly to build different versions of the same vehicle just to deal with different state laws. So they just build them according to the strictest state.....that be CA.

And it doesnt matter what it has or was or has been modified to whatever extent, CA smog law will supersede and you cant smog a factory registered vehicle unless it complies with the current smog laws for that year/model vehicle.

But that said, it would be nice if I was wrong so please let us know how it goes at the DMV.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by look171
I have never bought anything out of state before so go easy on me. Do you suggest I register it there or pay the sales tax in AZ? GEt it done at AAA there and register it in CA?

I just spoke with the seller, he said its the HO engine and its an 2004.5 truck.
If it's a private sale,a bill of sale,title,weight and money will get it done.
As I said going through AAA is a lot easier and their towing plan is great.
All '04.5's were 325 hp engines nationwide.
Register it here.
Old 02-17-2017, 12:11 PM

cool, thanks
Old 02-17-2017, 12:25 PM

You bet. Smog is bi-annual after this initial test. If you're lucky enough to live in a smog exempt area you're good to go after the test. No more until you sell.
Best of luck. The 5.9's are sure simple compared to the 6.7's.
Old 02-17-2017, 05:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Been through this twice.
I have an '04 Crew Cab 2500 4x4 5.9 6 speed truck that was bought new in Nevada. No Cat from factory. Bought private party.
I had to get a VIN verification, certified weight, smog cert and bill of sale, and title from seller's state.

The smog guy struggled to buy in to the fact that the truck had no cat from the factory, but made a call and all was well.

I bought an 07 last November, a dually to tow heavy with. Same deal but more $$ due to the weight fees. The 04 is going to go up for sale as soon as I can detail it out a bit.

Can't wait to get outta here...
Old 02-17-2017, 10:25 PM

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts
I thought only the '04.5 and up after came equipped with a cat.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:21 PM

That's correct but my friend's truck didn't call for one according to the smog guy's vin info.
The smog tech questioned why he had one?
The truck's equipment sheet plainly states that it is catalyst equipped. Go figure.
My truck's vin came up as a 6.7 auto. Go figure.
AAA helped me get that straightened out.
A guy down the street has an '03 HO NV5600 qcsb 3500 w/68K on it. I keep bugging him to sell it to me. It's been smogged here and the state got it right.
This state's so overregulated but we've got the Bullet Train. The private investors we were promised would show up haven't appeared and probably never will. They no better. Rant over. Good night all.
Old 02-21-2017, 04:19 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by KATOOM
I thought only the '04.5 and up after came equipped with a cat.
No... 03-04 trucks sold in CA came with a cat.

Quick Reply: CA smog, buying 2004 truck out of state