3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Best seat cover material

Old 03-28-2015, 10:17 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 151 Likes on 117 Posts
Best seat cover material

The cover on the drivers seat in my truck is starting to wear thin, so it is time to replace the cover. The rest of the interior is still good. Have checked on the internet and see that there are many choices of material and companies, so am getting confused. Not going to do anything about the back seats, but will only replace the covers on the front seats.

The question I have is, what is the best material for looks and a long life? Am tempted to go with leather. What about leatherette? Or is cloth still the best all round material?

Anybody had any good experiences with any particular seat cover company? Any company to avoid?
Old 03-28-2015, 02:18 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Marathon Seat Covers, since 1978, is your home for high quality custom waterproof seat covers. | Marathon Seat Covers.
They use Dupont 505 denier material which is waterproof and dogproof.
They'll send you 3 fabric samples too.
I've had them on my last three trucks and they wear like iron and fit super.
Old 03-29-2015, 09:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll give a strong second vote for Marathon covers. I've had them on my seats since September of 06 and the still look virtually new, not to mention the customer service was great as well.
Old 03-29-2015, 01:45 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Thanks. Took a look at their website and from what I can see, this material is very plain or utilitarian. It does not appear to be very classy or to match the OE material. Am I wrong?

As I only intend to replace the front covers, I need some sort of material that matches the rest of the existing interior. In other words, the same sort of OE cloth or maybe even leather.

Still searching.
Old 03-29-2015, 02:21 PM

Another option. I don't know how well they wear. Neoprene just doesn't yell out sturdy to me.
Costco - Coverking Custom Fit Seat Covers 3 Different Materials To Choose From customer reviews - product reviews - read top consumer ratings
Old 03-29-2015, 08:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've had neoprene...it sucks as far as long life. And it fades pretty fast also. My next seat covers will be heavy nylon cordura.
Old 03-29-2015, 08:37 PM

The neoprene stuff looks like a tuxedo.
Old 03-29-2015, 11:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I thought I'd do a custom leather interior in my truck when I bought it new- I've done lots of custom interiors over the years (my wife sews them), from waterproofed suede in a Scout, to marine grade vinyl for our boats and convertibles, to high end German leather. I had all kinds of ideas for the cowboy limo, but I'm stilling running the stock covers.

I have three kids- and my rear seat has seen it all. When we clean the truck with cheap turtle wax brand upholstery cleaner, the stock seat covers come clean every single time- not a stain remains. I've never owned a fabric more durable, or more resilient to staining than what came in this 06 from the factory.

I like them so much, I bought an extra set from someone who "upgraded" to a Katskin leather kit. He had a whole 75 miles on his OEM covers, and I snagged them up for when mine wear out. That was 5 years ago- I wholly expected my kids to have killed these by now, but like a Timex, they take the licking and keep on ticking....so the extra set stays in the attic. Someday I'll use it...maybe.

FYI- when I jumped in my truck with wire cutters in my back pocket and tore my drivers seat, my local upholstery shop easily got OEM fabric for me. It is plentiful, and very reasonably priced.
Old 03-30-2015, 11:15 PM

Tried to get samples from Marathon, but for some reason they will not ship to Mexico, not even the samples.
Still looking ..................

The OE material in my truck has lasted pretty well, especially considering how the sun very quickly kills most materials down here. Have been debating whether to find a company that can match and supply the same material and color of my OE stuff.
Old 03-31-2015, 08:39 AM

That's unfortunate. I recently removed my Marathon seatback to fix the lumbar support and the seat material looks like new.
We covered our '05 Pilot from new and those covers are still fine aside from needing a wash.
Old 04-14-2015, 01:03 PM

Still fighting this problem. Does anybody know what the OEM 'cloth' material is on these seats? All the companies I have looked at show a slew of materials that look close, but on real close examination, do not quite match. For example, this morning was looking at what appeared to be an exact match with GT Covers, but when I called them, they could not confirm an exact material or color match. There site says that they ship internationally, so I asked them to mail me some samples. Well, it turns out 'international' only means to Canada.

If the exact material is not known, then what would be the closest? Like the look of leather, but leather gets very hot in our sun.