3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

5.9 Engine Rebuild Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 06:06 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
5.9 Engine Rebuild Suggestions

Whats up, been sometime since I have posted on here... I have just tripped 217k on my 05 and noticed she is burning oil. I went 9k on my last oil change by accident and when I dropped the plug on the pan, I got only 1gallon out... So, I know she still has some miles in her, but Im trying to plan now, so when its time, I can do the rebuild the way I want the first time.

I know I want to have the heads worked and studs installed and maybe an aftermarket cam installed... of course the block decked and cylinders bored, and crank honed.

Other than that is there anything I need to do special? Is there any particular engine rebuild kit out there that is superior one way or the other?

Has anyone a link to a thread here on a rebuild that is good? I have been searching first, of course. but I havent found any specifics that I need yet.

Thanks!
The following users liked this post:
DarcySandra (10-15-2016)
Old 01-12-2013, 08:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd run another oil change before spending money.

When your oil goes bad it gets used up faster. My dad's car uses a quart between 3000 and 4000 miles, another between 4000 and 4500.

See the same thing on the 4840 when I'm planting corn.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:44 AM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Since you are running a relatively low HP engine, in addition to what you list I would do a full balance job and add an aftermarket harmonic balancer. There are 2 main ones to choose, either will serve well.

I think the most important part is choosing the right machine shop/rebuilder. Someone that knows the Cummins well and is reputable. As far as rebuild kits, use Cummins factory parts; there is not anything better for your purpose.

You can look at piston coating and bearing coating probably not necessary for you, but adds some insurance.

Pay special attention to your rocker arms-- I'll bet they need replacement from galling on the pivot shaft.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What are the plans for HP in the future? Maybe Billit rods?
Old 01-18-2013, 10:33 PM

Thanks guys. Doubt I will ever go over 700hp with any plans in the future. I dont think billet rods are needed for my plans. I will look into coatings, etc. and maybe roller rockers.
Old 07-18-2016, 09:07 PM

Well, the day is getting closer. I have 295k on the stock engine. She is burning oil pretty good, and the blowby out the crankcase is getting considerable. How long should I let this go? Engine builder said it will take about 5 weeks to complete the rebuild - thats kinda rough when its my daily driver. I would like to make it to the winter time when I already plan to take some time off, that puts me in the 300-305k realm. Think she will hold out?
Old 07-19-2016, 08:08 AM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
you guys that are burning oil had better revise your air cleaners ! i have close to 300,000 miles on mine and don't use a drop between oil changes (10 to 15 thousand miles!)
Old 07-19-2016, 01:45 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Originally Posted by 2-Stroke
Well, the day is getting closer. I have 295k on the stock engine. She is burning oil pretty good, and the blowby out the crankcase is getting considerable. How long should I let this go? Engine builder said it will take about 5 weeks to complete the rebuild - thats kinda rough when its my daily driver. I would like to make it to the winter time when I already plan to take some time off, that puts me in the 300-305k realm. Think she will hold out?
yes...
Old 07-19-2016, 01:48 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Originally Posted by johnh
you guys that are burning oil had better revise your air cleaners ! i have close to 300,000 miles on mine and don't use a drop between oil changes (10 to 15 thousand miles!)
Higher HP engines will wear out faster... period. Regardless of air cleaner.

More cylinder pressure on rings and other components and presto!

That's why a stock 12v will go a million miles... 04.5 and up not so much.

That said a K & N will wear you out at an accelerated rate as well.
Old 07-26-2016, 10:42 PM

I plan on pulling the engine out in the next week or two and am going to rebuild it myself. I am welcoming recommendations on injectors and a turbo. I don't want to go crazy, as I plan on keeping the cp3 stock. So something in the 50-90hp range? What is the best for my plans? There are many variables - I get over saturated with options. I just want a solid built engine that will produce 600 RWHP that will tow trailers and get great fuel economy as a daily driver. Surely someone has "the" recipe for a good build. Thanks for the support.
Old 07-30-2016, 09:00 PM

I've been doing alot of reading on set ups and talking to the pros.

So far, Im narrowing things down to:

f1 injectors at 50hp or 85 hp
and
HTT 62/64/12 or 62/64/14 or 62/68/14 turbo

Anyone care to weigh in on which match to make? I drive in stop in go for about 20 of my 70 daily miles and tow occasionally and when I do, its heavy. I dont want any surging or the like. Just solid power that stays pretty cool when working hard. I plan on towing and driving on my BullyDog in the tow mode, and only playing around in Crazy Larry here and there.
Old 07-31-2016, 08:40 AM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by soulezoo
Higher HP engines will wear out faster... period. Regardless of air cleaner.

More cylinder pressure on rings and other components and presto!

That's why a stock 12v will go a million miles... 04.5 and up not so much.

That said a K & N will wear you out at an accelerated rate as well.
if you look at my sig, you will notice my hp WAS 419. but i have since increased it to a little over 480
Old 08-05-2016, 12:24 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Originally Posted by 2-Stroke
I've been doing alot of reading on set ups and talking to the pros.

So far, Im narrowing things down to:

f1 injectors at 50hp or 85 hp
and
HTT 62/64/12 or 62/64/14 or 62/68/14 turbo

Anyone care to weigh in on which match to make? I drive in stop in go for about 20 of my 70 daily miles and tow occasionally and when I do, its heavy. I dont want any surging or the like. Just solid power that stays pretty cool when working hard. I plan on towing and driving on my BullyDog in the tow mode, and only playing around in Crazy Larry here and there.
If you want 600 then you will have to have the 85hp injectors. The 62 turbo is too marginal at that HP range. Something like a super B special (which is an overperforming 64mm) is rated to 550hp... that may be more to your liking. However, the 62 is more for towing. With 85hp injectors, you will want the 62/68/14 and then live with what that combo gives you.
Old 08-05-2016, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by soulezoo
If you want 600 then you will have to have the 85hp injectors. The 62 turbo is too marginal at that HP range. Something like a super B special (which is an overperforming 64mm) is rated to 550hp... that may be more to your liking. However, the 62 is more for towing. With 85hp injectors, you will want the 62/68/14 and then live with what that combo gives you.
Thanks for your input. I have also since posting looked at the 63/68/14 from HTT - Would that still tow good in your opinion?
Old 08-05-2016, 06:32 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
As far as the aftermarket external dampener that was mentioned before (sometimes referred to as a harmonic balancer), I purchased a 6.7 dampener, new fan pulley and fan bolts. The new dampeners are fluid based, which is what the high dollar fluid dampeners are.

As far as turbos, I kick myself a lot for going with a big single turbo and big sticks... it's a beast at more than half throttle, but daily driving I have to drive around the throttle. I would suggest some 90 HP sticks and a S400/stock turbo combo for twins. I've seen some big numbers made with this combo, but very streetable. Biggest thing you need to do... decide what you want, then look at truck setups and ask questions.

Good luck on that rebuild. As far as injectors, I recommend Don M at F1 diesel... I've been running his sticks for years. Great folks.

Quick Reply: 5.9 Engine Rebuild Suggestions