Go Back   Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums > 3rd Generation Ram - Years 2003 and up > 3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

submit to reddit

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-24-2012, 07:09 PM   #1

Strong dpf smell

I have a 2008 6.7 Megacab ...whenever the dpf goes throught the burnoff there is STRONG smell inside the cab. Anybody ever have this problem. Of course the dealership has never heard of this before.
brattboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 12:36 AM   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to johnh
Quote:
Originally Posted by brattboy View Post
I have a 2008 6.7 Megacab ...whenever the dpf goes throught the burnoff there is STRONG smell inside the cab. Anybody ever have this problem. Of course the dealership has never heard of this before.
the cure is to delete
01 3500 ho 2WD;4 inch exhaust bully dog stage 3 inj edge comp(removed hybrid hx 35/40 8/25/04) dyno 419.2 hp 891.8.torque w/stage 2`s on a dyno jet 6/25/03 ,htb2 turbo installed 8/25/04, not a dually any more,conversion done in 04... added home designed propane march 07 (to improve mileage) new vp 44 from industrial injection 3/july/07 181000 miles, removed stage 3 injectors ,reinstalled stage 2 to try to control EGT's better.new head gasket by industrial injection 17 dec 2010
johnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:46 PM   #3

strong smell

I would love to but its hard to get around emissions BIG fines for polution control equipment removal!
Old 04-30-2012, 09:24 PM   #4

Quote:
I would love to but its hard to get around emissions BIG fines for polution control equipment removal!

Drop the exhaust and disassemble it all. Then with a good piece of 1" angle iron ground to a point you can drive it right down through the cat, then the N02 and the dpf. Reinstall your newly ventilated all oem exhaust and follow up with a smarty jr and your disgusting regen scents will be gone.

That's the cheapest way I know of.

Also you may want to check the manifold and egr to manifold bolts. They always seemed to back off on my 07.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:16 PM   #5

strong dpf smell

if I gut the dpf will it still pass emissions?
Old 05-02-2012, 02:53 PM   #6
"California Style"

Quote:
if I gut the dpf will it still pass emissions?
That's the funny part. With the basic deletes, mine passed the functional test no problem, but failed the visual... I had to bolt the junk back on to pass the visual only. So, I'd say you have a very good chance to pass the visual and with the stuff stealthly disabled and with a programmer (I had my smarty set to SW3) should be no problem...
2007.5 Ram 3500 SLT 6.7L Megacab, 4x4, 6sp. Auto, Electric Blue, Nav & 6 disc changer, Smarty S67ME, Revertable EGR Plugging and Exhaust Deletes, Edge Insight, S&B intake, Amp Research Steps, Prodigy Brake Controller, Wolf Liner O.T.R., Nitto Crosstek tires(285/70R17E) on semi-gloss black powdercoated Powerwagon wheels

DTR Megacab Club Member #152
mega-engr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 02:54 PM   #7
"California Style"

I would still never guy my stock equipment though. Way too expensive to thrash like that. I'd rather bolt and un-bolt...
mega-engr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 03:50 PM   #8
Cummins Guru

Sounds like exhaust leak somewhere, I would start by tightening clamp on turbo outlet. Torque to 12 ft lbs. Check egr crossover pipe and check clamps and tighten if loose. Check for any black soot on exhaust manifold. May need mirror and flash light to check really well. Check exhaust tailpipe for any black soot, if any soot on inside of tailpipe then DPF is cracked internally. Covered under warranty until 100k miles

2003 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD , Patriot Blue
BigIron70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 07:32 PM   #9

strong dpf smell

thanks for the tips......of course i will have to try to fix this myself. Tired of the trips to the dealer 4X in 4 years called Chrysler they said they would get back to me....ya 2 years ago.

there is no black soot, i wish there was my nice big exhaust tip looks terrible (rusty)
Old 05-02-2012, 07:32 PM

submit to reddit