3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Change transmission fluid using MityVac?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2016, 05:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Change transmission fluid using MityVac?

I need to change my transmission fluid and filters. I know the typical way is the drop the pan, but it can be quite a mess. So I was wondering if anyone has ever sucked out as much fluid as they can through the dip stick tube using a MityVac?

This way, when I do drop the pan, it will basically already be empty.

ben
Old 10-14-2016, 09:53 PM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
I've done power steering systems before with the mighty vac, but never the trans because of the volume you'd need to remove before it was near empty (6-7 quarts). It would take a long time to do, I would imagine.

What I would do is buy a new (aftermarket) deeper pan with a drain plug, and port for a temp sender in there. It's not the ideal place to get the temps for the trans (or so some say), but it does give me an idea of the temperature of the fluid that is in the pan that's being sucked back up into the transmission as I drive along. Close enough for me, IMO.

I bought this for my truck, as well as the pick up tube extension to get the fluid lower in the pan. I love it, except that I live in the rust belt, and the insides of the cooling tubes started to show rust inside them. Now, each year, I spray a little penetrating oil in there (or fluid film) to keep the rust away. Aluminum pans would be a better choice, here I guess.

https://www.amazon.com/Derale-14210-...ansmission+pan
Old 10-15-2016, 12:42 AM
Banned

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts
If it was my truck or one you where going to work on it again here is what I would do. Look at the fsm and learn where the valve body sits in relation to the trans pan. Next time your at the parts store buy a weld in drain plug. Then once you have that figured out drill a small hole in the trans pan and walk away and let it drain. When it is mostly empty pull the pan and drill the hole the size you need for the weld in drain plug.

Now you are ready for any and all future service intervals, no need for anything fancy to suck out your old oil. If you do use your truck for what a truck is suppose to do then yes one of the aftermarket pans with a drain and a temp probe hole is the way to go.
Old 10-15-2016, 11:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm one of those guys who bought my truck intending on getting a big trailer, but that never happened. So, I don't use my truck to pull. I still love my truck, and use it for long trips hauling things like dirt bikes, street motorcycles, camping gear, etc. I've rented a toy hauler a couple of times, but those are rare occasions.

I already have the MityVac, and the unit I have can hold 7 liters. So that isn't an issue. Even still, I'd likely stop when half full, drain it, and finish off.

Does the dip stick actually reach into the drain pan? I wouldn't want to try this without knowing that I'd be actually sucking the fluid from the pan itself.

ben