3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Transmission Flush vs. filter and fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 04:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission Flush vs. filter and fluid change

I had my transmission flushed at 30,0000 miles. The dealer recomended this over dropping the pan and changing the filter. They said the transmission is flushed backwards, which cleans out the filter. Any comment on whether or not this sounds right...?
Old 08-03-2007, 04:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by THEDIESEL
I had my transmission flushed at 30,0000 miles. The dealer recomended this over dropping the pan and changing the filter. They said the transmission is flushed backwards, which cleans out the filter. Any comment on whether or not this sounds right...?
BS on the DEALER

If they flushed it backwards, they would at least RUIN the pump, pump seals, or the entire transmission.

Flushing machines work by allowing the trans to pump out it's own fluid into a reservoir. While the trans is pumping out it's fluid, the flushing machine pumps fresh fluid from a separate reservoir into the trans.

ABSOLUTELY NO flushing machine or company can claim 100% new fluid, because the new and old fluid gets co-mingled in the TC and the pan.

Personally, I have the trans flushed every other year (~30k miles), and every other year drop the pan & change the filter. At years 1, 3, 5, etc. drop the pan & change filter. At years 2, 4, 6, etc. flush fluid.

HTH

Tony
Old 08-03-2007, 05:35 PM
Banned

I would kindof be skeptical of the flush systems. When I worked at the transmission shop a couple years ago, it was amazing how many people came in having transmission problems, who had just had their transmissions flushed.

It seems as if the flushing often dislodges something either from the filter, magnet, etc, and debris becomes stuck on a valve in the valve body, or other close tolerance bore. Although we had a flush machine, we always recommended dropping the pan, and changing the filter instead...even though it meant more labor and not as much profit.

If the customer wanted a "complete" fluid change, we would drop the pan, fill back up with fluid. Then, drive around the block a few times, and do it again.

Flushing seems to work for some, but I've seen a lot of problems coincidentally arising from flushes as well...too many to recommend to a friend, for sure. --Eric
Old 08-03-2007, 06:25 PM

Sold/handled FLIUD EXCHANGE on many many D.C. auto trasnnys over 3 years and its the best thing that ever happened to as auto tranny and a car owner.Never had any issues unless it was about to crash to start with.
Old 08-03-2007, 06:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i have had my tranny flushed twice-at 30,000 and 60,000 miles. i personally prefer this method over dropping the pan and putting in just four or five qts. personal preference, i guess.
Old 08-03-2007, 07:27 PM

Its the only way to go.I change filters in my personal vehicals at 90k.Flush(OPPS EXCHANGE) every 30k etc.Very little depris in pans,Filters look good etc.Neighbor just changed filter in his 05 dually with 114k on it and same resukts.He flushed every 30k and tows a 3 horse trailer about 90 percent of those miles.Truck has over 125k on it now.
Old 08-03-2007, 10:22 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Here we go again......

I do the exchange. I change all the fluid, not part of it, every 30,000 miles. Never had a problem either.
Old 08-03-2007, 10:59 PM

I do the flush with a filter change every 30k .
Old 08-04-2007, 12:44 AM

What is the best way to do a DIY flush?
How many quarts of ATF is it going to take.
What synthetic ATF is recommended?

Thanks,
Old 08-04-2007, 02:06 AM

When it comes to transmission flushing the proper way to do it is drop the pan, change the filter and gasket, clean out the pan. Then hook the truck to the flush machine and flush out as much of the old fluid as possible. You will never get all of the old fluid out in one shot, but the flush machine gets dang near all of it. I have never seen or heard of a tranny flush machine ruining a transmission, unless that bad boy was already taking a crap and the customer failed to inform us of the issues they were having with it.
Old 08-04-2007, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by Hounddog
Sold/handled FLIUD EXCHANGE on many many D.C. auto trasnnys over 3 years and its the best thing that ever happened to as auto tranny and a car owner.Never had any issues unless it was about to crash to start with.
Same here. I couldn't agree with Hounddog any more. When I worked at my fathers shop over 20 years ago we dropped the pan and changed the filters. At my shops we flush. There has been much better results. The transmissions are preserved a lot longer. But if it makes you feel better, do a flush then change the filter.
Old 08-04-2007, 08:33 AM

-MAYBE- a trans flush will not hurt your trans, but it also does not benefit you any more than the standard filter change and re-fill. And those who do not change the filter at all are looking for trouble. Dropping the pan and changing the filter and fluid per the maintenance schedule is all that is required and recommended per the trans folks who are in the know and are not trying to soak you.

I would consider a full flush in the rare circumstance that I burned the fluid by running hot. 240* for an extended period of time or 260*+ for any amount of time.
Old 08-04-2007, 09:42 AM

Mybe I'm missing something? Removimg 99% of the fliud in my mind does not come close to to removing and adding 5 qts. Most all G.M. and D.C dealers I've been using Fliud exchage machines a long time and their used a lot.I've been in the shop meetings when BOTH D.C. reps and the B&G rep demoed these units and filters discussed and pros and cons of these machines discussed.The D.C. shop I was in had two machines that we wore out the fittings on them twice a year and at times goes waiting in line to use one.Plus in 25 years in service the ONLY times customers would say it was the only time they noticed better shifting,smoother torque convertor lock etc.On Wally wagons etc we serviced the filter at 90k and work trucks at 60k.Want to satisfy ther factory and change a few qts and filter go ahead.Want the tranny to last and perform a LOT LONGER like maybe 1.5 to 3 times the mileage then the factory way use a exchange machine.Fleet owners LOVE how it improves their bottom line.
Old 08-04-2007, 09:59 AM

I too believe in flushing. I also believe in adding a transmission drain plug to the tranny. My father worked for a city garage. The first time he dropped a pan on a new vehicle around 30K he added a drain plug. This was before flushing machines became popular. Anyway it makes dropping the pan a whole lot easier with most of the fluid out. BTW whenever I heat my fluid above 230* degrees I simply change out 6 quarts with the drain plug and drive until I can do a complete flush and filter change. I will see how long this tranny keeps going before I get a goerend.
Old 08-04-2007, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by rjm022
i have had my tranny flushed twice-at 30,000 and 60,000 miles. i personally prefer this method over dropping the pan and putting in just four or five qts. personal preference, i guess.
I AGREE. BEING IN A DODGE DEALER FOR 20+ YEARS, I LOVE THE BG FLUSH SYSTEM. THE DEALER WHO TOLD YOU IT WAS A REVERSE FLUSH, MISSPOKE.

I DO MINE ANNUALLY (47RE), ONLY TO MAINTAIN FLUID INTEGRITY. WITH A SPILL AND FILL...DROPPING THE PAN AND FILTER, YOUR ONLY RELACING ABOUT 6 QUARTS. WITH THE FLUSH, YOU ARE REPLACING ALL 16, WHICH IS CRUSIAL AS FAR AS T.C. AND PLANETARY HEALTH, AS WELL AS CLEANING DEBRIT FROM INTERNAL VALVE BODY. IF YOUVE DRIVEN 100K AND NEVER SERVICED THE TRANNY, THIS ISNT FOR YOU...I BELIEVE YOULL BE OPENING A CAN OF WORMS AT THAT POINT AND SOON WILL BE SCHEDULING A O.H...BUT IF YOUR PULLING 12,000 POUNDS OF TRAILER EVERY WEEK..LIKE I DO, AND DO REGULAR MAINTENANCE, ITS CHEAP INSURANCE.

MY 2 CENTS

Quick Reply: Transmission Flush vs. filter and fluid change