3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Odd puddle...cooling system trouble?

Old 09-03-2015, 03:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Odd puddle...cooling system trouble?

Last I checked my coolant level it was 2 or 3 months ago. Last night I noticed a small puddle of water (more than ac condensate makes) just left of the passenger front tire. Mostly watery, a little oily and maybe a pint of liquid or a little more. I checked my engine coolant to see that the reservoir was EMPTY. I refilled that and took it for drive and there's been no massive loss of coolant. I did notice an odd drip occuring basically underneath the radiator That drip stopped soon after the engine was off.

The motor sounds fine and the temperature and oil pressure are totally normal.
No check engine light or warning lights of any kind have happened. Maybe it was a massive loss at one point or maybe it was a slow loss. I don't know.

I checked the engine oil level while I was there and it seems the oil level is HIGH. I didn't overfill it last time I changed the oil. Could coolant be leaking into the engine oil?

I'm not sure where to start???? Any advice????
Old 09-03-2015, 07:30 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
There is a drip under the radiator you said? I'd investigate that first.

If you are sure the oil level has gone up, I'd send an oil sample to Blackstone or another lab.

Lastly there is a short section of like 5/8 hose down by the turbo that has been known to leak. Look at that closely. Tightening the clamps might solve it, or there is a new part number for redesigned hose and spring clamps.
Old 09-04-2015, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by grishfish
I did notice an odd drip occuring basically underneath the radiator That drip stopped soon after the engine was off.

I'm not sure where to start???? Any advice????
Start looking for source of leaking coolant.
Old 09-04-2015, 12:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Water pump? That's how mine started leaking when I had to replace it. The WP is right behind the radiator.

It didn't affect my oil level though. I doubt that water on the ground and water in the oil are related. Maybe 2 different issues? I'd be more concerned about the latter.
Old 09-04-2015, 10:36 PM

Arrow crossing my fingers ... think i got it

Since it was the original water pump (110000mi) and mostly original coolant, I replaced the WP and did a distilled water flush one time then drained the radiator and refilled with mopar coolant and distilled water to roughly 50/50. The old coolant looked fine. There was about three gallons that drained from the original radiator draining. So I'm guessing the coolant system was on it's way fast to empty when the puddle got my attention.

That oem water pump failed pretty rapidly once it got going. But it made it 110000 mi. That's a proper part. I hope my replacement lasts as long. No reason it shouldn't. It's about as simple a part as they get, but it was DONE. It had play in every direction. I was also surprised how easy it was to get off the block. The book says 18ft-lb that feels pretty light but it doesn't matter because I couldn't get my torque wrench back there anyway. I put the half-ninja on them and I used extra gasket sealant.

Without the proper tools, it takes two to put the supertine belt back on. It's just me I'm sure. And for me, removing the air box was a must to remove the old WP and get the new one in.

I did an oil change while I was at it. The oil looked fine. No froth, just oil.

I've been good to this truck and it's never gotten hot... ever. I think I just got lucky I didn't run it dry! Knock on wood: I've driven around a bit tonight (returning prestone!!!!) and it:
starts fine
sounds fine
runs fine
comes up to temp and stays there
no drips or puddles!!! I'll will let it sit overnight and we'll see in the morning.

All these things this truck has always done.
Like I said, cross your fingers.

p.s. No problems today. Thank God.