3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Minor Help Needed for my '03 Truck..Some Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2017, 09:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Minor Help Needed for my '03 Truck..Some Questions

Hi everyone, I think it has been about 8-9 years since I have been here last so has been a long while. Recently I got an 03 Ram with the 5.9L engine and have some minor issues I would like help on.

For one, I have the case where my truck won't start unless its been plugged in awhile, even in warm weather. Being in Texas we don't see extreme cold temps. Now having read past posts here with that problem I discovered for the most part that its the injectors. The batteries are still good, engine turns over strong but doesn't start. The air heater doesn't work of course since I don't hear the relays but that's not as relevant.

It looks like I may have to bite the bullet for a new set of injectors, but where can I source the genuine Bosch brand injectors? I don't have a set of diagnostic tools yet to check the various items for fuel pressure and such. I'm mechanically inclined so I don't have a problem figuring it out, but I don't really have a garage to really work in. I don't know exactly how to cap off an injector to test it out to see which ones are bad. I should probably hunt down an service manual somewhere for the 5.9 engine.

I would also like to know what set of gauges I would need to have....I know fuel pressure gauge being one of them, what are some other gauges I need to look into? Does anyone install them in places other than the A-pillar along the door?

I also discovered that I have a hole in the elbow part of the heater hose that goes to the core from the block....while I can get a replacement locally from NAPA I was wondering whether to put in a valve in between after splicing the hose to shut off flow to the heater core during the warm temps.

Would be nice if I was able to find a fellow dodge owner local to me to assist, especially with the injectors but I can work through it with some time and patience.
Old 01-16-2017, 12:42 PM
FMB

Received 68 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by Truck30Haul
It looks like I may have to bite the bullet for a new set of injectors, but where can I source the genuine Bosch brand injectors? I don't have a set of diagnostic tools yet to check the various items for fuel pressure and such. I'm mechanically inclined so I don't have a problem figuring it out, but I don't really have a garage to really work in. I don't know exactly how to cap off an injector to test it out to see which ones are bad. I should probably hunt down an service manual somewhere for the 5.9 engine.
Plenty of info here and on Youtube to troubleshoot individual injectors, but if you think it might be more than one or two sticks going bad, you might want to send them all out to a company that specializes in testing, rebuilding, retesting, and balancing sticks. I used F1 Diesel when the time came for mine and was happy with the results.

Originally Posted by Truck30Haul
I would also like to know what set of gauges I would need to have....Does anyone install them in places other than the A-pillar along the door?
Careful where you mount your gauges. Check out my post a few years ago (#20). I had 3 gauges in my '03, LP Pressure, Boost, and pre-turbo Exhaust Temp. My '03 was a manual so didn't want/need a trany temp gauge, YMMD.
Back to morning brew . . .