3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Locker, open or limited

Old 01-22-2012, 09:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Locker, open or limited

I've got an 06 base model (ST). I've gotten stuck 3-4 times and each time only the left rear wheel is spinning. Doesn't this mean I have an open differential? I'm going ti change the gears out to 3.42, and I'm thinking about upgrading to a locker if mine is just an open differential. It sure doesn't act like a limited slip.
Also, anyone know of a trust -worthy shop to change out the gears??
Old 01-22-2012, 11:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by prlsnpsdodge
I've got an 06 base model (ST). I've gotten stuck 3-4 times and each time only the left rear wheel is spinning. Doesn't this mean I have an open differential?
Maybe. For some odd reason, a lot of 4x4 trucks were built with an open diff. I know, doesn't make sense to me, either. But the LSD was an addition (small) cost, and some dealers elected to eliminate it.

It depends on how you got stuck. The Dodge uses a modern version of the Gleason worm drive - no clutch packs. Since there's no clutch packs, it usually last longer. A Detroit Gear (Eaton) TruTrak and the Torsion T1 and T2 are the same thing

During normal operation most of the torque goes to the wheel with the most treaction; just like any other LSD. But if one wheel has absolutly zero traction - ice, lifted off the ground, broken axle - then all power goes to that wheel, and the truck doesn't move. A slight bit of brake pressure will usually resolve that, and return some torque to the other wheel.
Old 01-23-2012, 06:40 PM

Thanks for the info. But my truck is a 2 wheel drive. Would there be a different rear end for the 4 wheel drive versus the 2 wheel drive?
Old 01-23-2012, 07:47 PM

I've got an 06 base model (ST). I've gotten stuck 3-4 times and each time only the left rear wheel is spinning. Doesn't this mean I have an open differential? I'm going ti change the gears out to 3.42, and I'm thinking about upgrading to a locker if mine is just an open differential. It sure doesn't act like a limited slip.
Also, anyone know of a trust -worthy shop to change out the gears??
If your in the Houston area, use Pyle Brothers,, all they do is diff's.
http://www.pylebros.com/
Old 01-24-2012, 10:09 PM

if you dont mind the feeling of a ton of gear back lash, then put in a auto-locker, I cant imagine one of these heavy trucks with only 2wd on anything less then pavement. The factory diff isn't very impressive at all in off road conditions so I wouldnt waste my money on one if you need good slow speed traction.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:10 AM

Thanks for the info. But my truck is a 2 wheel drive. Would there be a different rear end for the 4 wheel drive versus the 2 wheel drive?
The rear diffs are the same. A 2wd probably does not have any kind of LSD. It might, but probably not.

If not, it's not difficult to add it - but not very cheap. Dodge uses a modified Gleason worm gear for it's LSD. No clutch packs to wear. Additive not needed. It has very smooth operation, and very quiet. Unless you're drag racing, it's a better option than a locker.

I have a similar diff in my race car. Go to Eaton Gear's web site, and read about their TruTrak diff.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:33 AM

I hate to tell you this but your 2wd 6 speed truck is never going to do well in any off road situation.

I had a 07 2wd 6 speed and I had to get rid of it of that very reason. The way the clutch puts the power to the ground you just cant be gentle enough to get going even on wet grass, combine that with the weight on the front end and it won't matter if both rears spin or not. My 2wd had limited slip, it won't help.
Old 03-11-2012, 12:49 PM

Thanks for the info. I'm fixing to buy the truck off. And I really don't want to have to start making payments all over again I can get a used limited slip put in the truck for about 600. I think I will at least try that route rather than looking for new truck just yet.
I tried the 1 wheel on the dirt road and the left will on the asphalt trick. The right wheel started spinning and the left wheel did not spin at all. That just proves that it is not a limited slip correct?
Old 03-11-2012, 05:54 PM

My truck is 2wd, I am installing a ARB air locker in mine.
When I need posi I will have it.
Old 03-11-2012, 09:11 PM

That just proves that it is not a limited slip correct?
Unfortunatly, no. The stock LSD is a modified gleason worm gear. If you raise on wheel off the ground - no traction at all - that wheel will spin and the wheel on the pavement will just sit there. If you apply a little bit of brake pedal, the torque will shift to the other side.

The worm gear is dependent on adjustment and wear. If it has not been assembled correctly from the beginning and it has some wear on it, it may not operate correctly.

Jack both rear tires off the ground. Remove the parking brake, and put the trans in neutral. Turn one tire foreward. If the truck has a functional LSD, the other tire will turn in the same direction.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TI8ewn6HOjg
Old 03-11-2012, 09:14 PM

That's what i had thought about doing. But it seems to be an expensive choice...
Old 03-13-2012, 03:29 PM

[Jack both rear tires off the ground. Remove the parking brake, and put the trans in neutral. Turn one tire foreward. If the truck has a functional LSD, the other tire will turn in the same direction. ]

I'll try that tonight. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 03-13-2012, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Blueboy
My truck is 2wd, I am installing a ARB air locker in mine.
When I need posi I will have it.
No, you won't.

Positraction is the GM name for heir particular brand of clutch type LSD - Limited Slip Differential. At no point is the Air Locker a limited slip differential.

The Air Locker actually locks the axles together, forming a spool. This is great for off road use in mostly a straight line. For on road use, it's a bad thing.

With the Air locker turned off, you have an open differential. Which is great for on road use when traction is good - not so good for snow and ice.

There is no middle ground - it's all or nothing. Either open or locked, no in between like an LSD. Sometimes that's the perfect set up. And sometimes it's not.