3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

How to: DIY Transmission low speed shudder fix

Old 06-03-2013, 11:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
shifting problem

I have a 2004.5 Dodge 4x4 auto with about 165,000 miles on it.

I replaced the 1 to 2nd gear solenoid with a GM solenoid about 60-70,000 mi ago.

Now, it hangs in 1st gear until about 2000 to 2500 RPM before it shifts into second. Under light throttle, pulling a light load, going up hill, it feels like it slips out of second into neutral. When I back off the throttle it goes into second. With light throttle pressure again, in about 10 seconds it happens again.

The problem only seems to exist under light throttle, with a light load, going up hill. More or heavier throttle in second seems to keep it from happening.

All else seems to be the same. Also I have about 10-15,000 miles on this trans fluid and filter change.

Any ideas?!?
Old 08-25-2013, 01:18 AM

2500 RPM shifting

I'm having the same shifting problem 1-2 at 2500rpm. I got a DTC P1755 so I went ahead and replaced the sensor, solenoid, VB wiring, TTV motor, speed sensor, filter, fluid, adjusted bands, all this with no success. I still have the code and late shifting, sometimes low speed shudder. Any other ideas?
Old 11-20-2013, 12:59 AM

2-3 shift hunts under light acceleration

Recently purchased an 04 HO dually. Been reading thru the post on shutter shifts and hunting for next gear, not sure which of these I have. Under light acceleration seems to go back and forth between 2nd and 3rd sometimes, maybe going up a grade. When you accelerate under medium throttle no problems. Have 140K on truck, just had tranny fluid and filter changed. Told shop to adjust bands, which they did after giving me the song that they had a lot of wear and were very loose, and I probably should let them rebuild the tranny. Took to another shop, had the owner drive with me and he said it didn't seem to have any problems, course it didn't stutter or hunt between 2&3. He was heavier on throttle.

Would the fix outlined in the thread here help with the 2-3 shift? Don't really feel good about the trans shops here in the Fl. Panhandle. Have some mech skills and could probably do the fix myself.

I'd appreciate some experienced feed back.

Stroker
Old 11-20-2013, 07:39 AM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by stroker96
Recently purchased an 04 HO dually. Been reading thru the post on shutter shifts and hunting for next gear, not sure which of these I have. Under light acceleration seems to go back and forth between 2nd and 3rd sometimes, maybe going up a grade. When you accelerate under medium throttle no problems. Have 140K on truck, just had tranny fluid and filter changed. Told shop to adjust bands, which they did after giving me the song that they had a lot of wear and were very loose, and I probably should let them rebuild the tranny. Took to another shop, had the owner drive with me and he said it didn't seem to have any problems, course it didn't stutter or hunt between 2&3. He was heavier on throttle.

Would the fix outlined in the thread here help with the 2-3 shift? Don't really feel good about the trans shops here in the Fl. Panhandle. Have some mech skills and could probably do the fix myself.

I'd appreciate some experienced feed back.

Stroker
------------------
Have you tried "Suncoast Transmissions" in Ft. Walton Beach, Fla.?? They build alot of Dodge CTD Transmissions for the drag trucks we run against on the NHRDA Circuit.
Old 11-21-2013, 08:40 PM

Thanks John,
Looked up the folks at Suncoast Transmission, took the truck by today. They took a test ride with me, I told them what I wanted the truck to do, they recommended a fix. Long story short problem is solved! They treated me right and I would highly recommend them to anyone close enough to go in person. They also showed me around their business, a first class operation and some real fine folks!

Thanks again for the tip!
Old 11-22-2013, 08:18 AM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by stroker96
Thanks John,
Looked up the folks at Suncoast Transmission, took the truck by today. They took a test ride with me, I told them what I wanted the truck to do, they recommended a fix. Long story short problem is solved! They treated me right and I would highly recommend them to anyone close enough to go in person. They also showed me around their business, a first class operation and some real fine folks!

Thanks again for the tip!
---------------------------------
stroker96:

You are very welcome Sir!

I am glad to hear you were able to get up with them on your tranny issues.
Suncoast has been around a long time and test everything they build on the racetracks all around the U.S.
Old 11-29-2013, 01:48 PM

Just got my Borg Warner replacement in the mail. Hope to put it in next week and be rid of the shuttle shift.
Old 12-14-2013, 10:10 AM

So far, so good. Took 5hrs on & off a creeper between engine oil/filter, governor swap, & plugging a flat from road debris. The pan now has a drain plug too.

Seems to have cured the 1-2 shuffle.

I didn't remember seeing this in the youtube videos, but the socket on the BW solenoid was upside down from the OEM. Didn't notice til I had the thing bolted back in. Thought I was up the creek for a min. Just flipped the plug & snapped right in.

Next stop: 3 clutch TC, boost the line pressure, & maybe billet input shaft.
Old 02-16-2014, 08:17 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ProfEngr
Just got my Borg Warner replacement in the mail. Hope to put it in next week and be rid of the shuttle shift.
The plug is upside down compared to stock, FYI.

I replaced my stock gov solenoid with this unit, and had to reverse the plug into it. ALSO, make sure you have a zip tie, and place it around the wires on the gov solenoid at the top, to prevent it from rubbing on the metal next to the wires.

I attempted to replace the transducer, and the tang where you disconnect it SNAPPED. So I left it, seeking intel on how to proceed.
Old 04-18-2017, 06:53 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I just did this upgrade yesterday on my 2005 and it made a big difference. I was wondering for those that did it themselves how many qts of fluid they had to pout back in to complete things. The TSB says 4 qts. I put 5 in mine and its right at the bottom line of OK. I drove it around for a while and it shifts great and wanted to check fluid again warm and it was still in the same spot. I may add another qt or 2. I have about 145$ in this upgrade.

Old 04-14-2018, 10:59 PM

After many miles of sloppy shifting I finally got around to fixing it. I havent towed or hauled with it but I'm getting ready to.

I ordered Borg HD kit from Cascade Transmission on Ebay. Installed the kit containing sensor, solenoid, upgraded 3-4 accumulator spring, and speed sensor, filter and gasket. The pan and magnet looked good for having at least 66K miles on the fluid. I bought it at 40k and it hasnt been changed til now. There was a some black soot like material lining everything in there that I couldn't see unless I wiped it with a rag. From what I've read it's from the torque convertor.

Adjusted the bands, replaced 7 qts of fluid, and throttle valve cable. rear band was sloppy loose. TV cable was sagging at the throttle so it needed it.

All I can say is WOW. It's like driving another truck. I can actually tell what gear I'm in and know when it's locked. Hope it stays that way.