3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

How to: DIY Transmission low speed shudder fix

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 10:33 AM
Muted one day, Banned the next....... Ah the life of a DTR 1%'er

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sweet.. now if I could just get this 3/4 shift solved
Old 01-01-2010, 08:38 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bohdey
i just performed this to my '06 mega. i repl. the solenoid and pressure sensor and filter. it fixed the shutter, but my tranny is still shifting out of 2nd at 2500 rpm, too high. i talked to trans. shop and they think maybe bands. i think modified valve body should work.
I have been collecting info from old threads and think this might help you.
Note #2

QUICK RECAP....
AC HARNESS vs. ALUMINUM AC TUBE
SEE PHOTO 23858AC_Pressure_Switch_Wire_Issue

TRANS HARNESS vs. GROUND STRAP
Auto Trans hanging intermittently in 2nd gear - Trace trans harness to where it passes the ground strap... check for short or chafing.

STARTER WIRE vs. STARTER BRACKET
No-start condition - From driver side wheel well - Trace yellow wire from the starter as it passes the starter bracket... check for chafing.

BATTERY CABLE vs. INTAKE HEATER RELAY BRACKET
Check alternator/battery cable (between the battery & air filter box) where the alt/bat cable passes the steel bracket of the heater relay... check for short or chafing.

CROSS OVER BATTERY CABLE vs. AIR BOX PIPE CONNECTION
Check the crossover battery cable where it passes by the pipe and air box connection... check for short or chafing.
Old 01-21-2010, 10:23 PM

I suppose this is a question for DodgeFan01...

When you replaced the the solenoid as per the TSB AND the valve body - was this a true fix? No more 1-2 hunting? Some of the other guys on this thread just did the TSB/solenoid fix and seem to still be having a problem.

I am soon going to be changing my tranny fluid and filter over to Amsoil and I'm going to have to take it to a shop to have it pumped out anyway....I could have this done at the same time, while they're in there. Just trying to make sure this is a true fix..

Can anybody else tell me anything about the valve governor pressure solenoid on the www.transmissioncenter website? Is this a more desirable fix? Does that include the valve body?

Help from anyone is greatly appreciated!!
Old 01-22-2010, 09:15 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by sotex
I am soon going to be changing my tranny fluid and filter over to Amsoil and I'm going to have to take it to a shop to have it pumped out anyway....I could have this done at the same time, while they're in there. Just trying to make sure this is a true fix..

Help from anyone is greatly appreciated!!
I would have this done anyways.

if you don't do it, and you have to drain all the expensive Amsoil, then you have to invest twice in the fluid. and you still have to buy the part then.

how much does the part cost if you buy it and DIY?

i know i HATED my truck when it did not shift right.
Old 01-22-2010, 10:30 PM

you bet fluid and filter for shure . not really shure replace v/b and solenoid with oem parts or find after market .just want the best fix any sugestons any one.sotex nick
Old 02-06-2010, 01:16 PM

When changing the transmission fluid on the 04.5 is there a drain plug for the torque convertor. Also, I see the TSB for the Governor Pressure Solenoid Valve, as discussed in other threads, where can this be purchased other than the dealer. Dealer price here for part # 04617210 is $144.00.
Thank you.
Old 02-07-2010, 11:13 AM

driftingly check posts 1st page fi dodge seems this web site might be a good fix. i have not changed fluid yet.soon ihope sotex
Old 03-31-2010, 03:00 PM

the OEM part costs $135 at my local *********** (Gainesville Dodge). So much for $80 huh. Clerk told me, "must have been along time ago" referring to the $80 price. Dont think so man, mid '09?? oh well. Going to get the aftermarket "fix" instead. anyone else tried it? how easy was the install?? Any help is greatly appreciated
Old 04-09-2010, 10:22 AM

So can u buy the parts anywhere other than the dealer if so where do I start looking.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:56 PM

1st page

3rd post first page . just did mine was very easy
Old 06-25-2010, 07:52 AM

Electrical Avantage has a kit with all the eletronic parts some OEM but the govener pressure solenoid is a Borg Warner with billet bracket.$279
Ordered on Monday and recieved on Wedensday installed Thursday also had the shift flash done for the 03 So far the shutter unloaded is gone, holding 3rd gear to long is gone and the 1-2 seems to be gone.
Won't hook up the camper for a week or so, will know for sure then.

John

www.electricaladvantage.net

Last edited by dakotajam; 06-25-2010 at 07:54 AM. Reason: added
Old 07-01-2010, 12:51 PM

I just had my stock solenoid replaced with the one on the first page from PATC. No more shuttle shiftin and a little firmer shifts at WOT.
Old 07-20-2010, 08:37 PM

Just to throw another nickle in the pot, at 98k miles mine was doing the 1-2 shutter and jumping in and out of lockup, it was also starting out in second gear. Got with my trans guy and changed the Governor Pressure Solenoid Valve, fixed it for awhile but there was a bushing going bad and just trashed another one along with the fluid. Full rebuild was done and all the extra parts in my sig were added. Half a year later it started shifting from first, would bump second gear for a sec, then straight into third. At WOT it would hang gears till the throttle was let up. After it was at the shop for a month it received another full rebuild, re checking every thing. Sent the truck to an electronic goo roo a town over and he had it all fixed in a day. Turns out it had "noise" in the electronic line going from the TPS to the Powertrain control modual. A small filter was added and its been good ever sence. Bd makes a filter for that prob i have sence seen.
Old 08-12-2010, 02:22 PM

has Any one had the PATC Governor pressure upgrade in more than six months and if so is your 1-2 shift shuttle still gone??

This thread is talking about three different inherent 48RE problems but know one has confirmed that the PATC solenoid has cured the shuttle problem..

The design of the PATC solenoid is for WOT drain back shift problems not Shift 1-2 shuttle problems but thats not to say it won't cure both???
Old 10-24-2010, 08:09 PM

Will the 100K druvetrain warranty cover this?

Quick Reply: How to: DIY Transmission low speed shudder fix