3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

a few quick questions if anyone care to give their $.20

Old 02-13-2017, 02:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
a few quick questions if anyone care to give their $.20

Hi, I have a 93, 12 v truck that has 126k miles on it, competely stock. I know nothing about these trucks, and now found myself in the market for a 2004 3500 SRW 4WD Laramine HO truck with 170k on the odo. From the photos, it look clean. My question is what do I need to look for and what are some of the known issues associated with them? Almost bought a 03 Duramax yesterday locally. Beautiful truck, clean, but my heart is in the Cummins engine.

Am I looking at a transmission rebuilt in my near future due to the milage? I know my first gen has weak transmissions, but are shocks to read the laters truck are still having theirs rebuilt at around 200k miles.

How's the maintenance on these and I know they have a computer. I am just so use to just putting fuel and go and its been a very solid truck.

Read 4wd isn't reliable? WTH? Really?

Truck is in AZ and Im in LA, so what about smog? I have never had to so that with my old beast. It has a K and N air filter on it as far as I can see. A cone type filter exposed. I suppose its not stock. Any CA guys can help answer that. I am doing out there to see it this weekend.

If someone can recommend a shop out there, that would great, near Tucson

Reason for getting rid of my first gen? I used it for my construction and mostly just sat at my job site rotting away. Paint is pealing, been hit and scraped, plastic handles and such are just falling apart.

I need help and some advice. Thanks

Jeff
Old 02-13-2017, 02:14 AM

My other major reason is that this 04 is a double cab so I can stick my family in it and throw kayaks and bikes in the back and go. My kids are getting too big for the jump seats. I basically want a newer and slightly faster truck. I will haul and tow a few things for my business.
Old 02-13-2017, 12:38 PM

Anyone? I have been reading and are trying like heck to understand what's going on.
Old 02-13-2017, 02:41 PM

Please let me know if I am posting in the wrong form and move me. If there's an other site or place where I can get this info please direct me. Thanks
Old 02-13-2017, 03:25 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I made the jump from a 1st gen to my 3rd gen 2 years ago.

Love the 3rd gen. They are more expensive to maintain but offer a much nicer ride and more power.

I also upgraded for the quad cab space (only had a single cab on my 91.5).

This is a list of some things that i checked or upgraded on my 03:

-Better Fuel filtration (number one thing to do!)
-Better headlights, the 03-05 stock lights are not good (i went HID projector aftermarket setup)
-Batteries and cables (being computer controlled, any issue with the batteries causes many weird codes and other problems).
-Mine had an upgraded trans so i have left it alone, want a better converter though.
-balljoints are a common problem on these trucks, you need to spend $5-600 or more on BJ's to get away from having to change them every 25-50K miles.
-You will want to factor in a Smarty Touch tuner, its a great gauge package and some much more usable power.
-Ujoints are also another fast wearing item.
-front wheel bearings are a hot topic, they fail and usually go quickly when they do (sure wish they still had kingpins like the 1st gen).
-Do not use K&N air filters, stock setups are fine for up to 600hp.

When test driving, be sure the transmission shifts nicely and the fluid is in good shape (brand new fluid may be a sign there is a problem and they swapped fluids to hide it for a short time).

Look listen and feel for vibrations or any other strange things.

I am sure there are things i am missing but this is a start for you.
Old 02-14-2017, 12:37 AM

Thanks Derek. I will do keep an eye on those things.

This truck was once from Utah. How about rust? Are they better rust proofed then older trucks like our first gen? I know nothing about Utah other then it snows sometimes so salt on the road may or may not be an issue. I see form the pic that there's a typical light coat of rust on many of the metal parts under there. I never see stuff like that even in older cars here in Southern CA. Any thoughts?
Old 02-14-2017, 09:01 AM

I am not sure about Utah but my 3rd doesn't show any rust other than the bottom of the tailgate and the rear bumper. I think the typical spots can still be an issue though (lips on quarters and fenders aswell as the cab corners)
Old 02-14-2017, 11:58 AM

Sounds like you got big tires on there? Got a pic? Love to see it. You really need 4WD up there. Are you from SK or AB? My relatives are all from SK, Estevan, and Regina. Now they all live in Calgary and Edmonton. Too cold for this social kid
Old 02-14-2017, 12:10 PM

I am northern sask born, still live on the sask side but ony by 1/2 mile. I live just off the ab/sk border (lloydminster, border town).

I drive in the BC mountains and haul sleds around so 4wd is pretty much mandatory.

I dont have many pics of it but here are a few:
Attached Thumbnails a few quick questions if anyone care to give their $.20-truck1.jpg   a few quick questions if anyone care to give their $.20-truck2.jpg   a few quick questions if anyone care to give their $.20-truck3.jpg  
Old 02-14-2017, 12:21 PM

Nice truck. I really like the step bars that extend all the way into the bed. I gotta do more growing just to reach the back of the bed. The newer trucks are tall. Is the ride pretty rough on the solid front axel? The one I am looking at is the Laramie long bed with 4 doors.
Old 02-14-2017, 12:23 PM

It rides pretty good now but i put a full Carli 3" pintop suspension kit into it (cost alittle over half of what i paid for the truck, ouch!)

It still rides better than my 1st gen did, but it was a 4wd also.
Old 02-16-2017, 09:12 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Make sure climate controls work in all modes. These trucks have been known to break blend doors inside the HVAC case, which requires removal of the dash.

The CP3 pump on these cars common rail engines seems to be much more reliable than previous pumps, but the common rail injectors can cause problems and are expensive. Make sure the engine fires right up (no long crank times) hot or cold. Getting quality clean fuel, changing the filter regularly, and in my case adding a 2 micron secondary filter would be things to help get as much life out of injectors as possible.

Other than that, you have the typical things with a truck that age, ball joints, wheel bearings, u joints, overall condition.

If it is an 04 it could be HO 555 ft lbs, or the SO lower output engine that met CA emissions. 04.5 and later would be the 50 state legal 600 ft lb engine. There would be a data tag on the valve cover. The 04 HO would have no cat and get slightly better mpg.
Old 02-16-2017, 12:03 PM

Thanks Jeff. That's valuable info I would have never known or know where to look. This truck is a AZ truck and it does have the HO engine. any idea how it or if I would pass Ca smog? Now you got me worried because I am going out to see it this weekend. If there a way to tell if its an 04.5 truck by Vin or data tag. Where is this data tag located?

Jeff
Old 02-16-2017, 12:05 PM

Look at the turbo, an 04.5 truck will have an electronic solenoid threaded into the compressor housing. 03-04 trucks do not have this solenoid.

The black piece with wires in this photo is the solenoid:

DODGE 04 -07 5.9L Holset OE Reman HE351CW Cummins ISB 5.9L Turbo charger | eBay
Old 02-16-2017, 12:09 PM

Or look at this pic, 03-04 turbo on left and 04.5-07 turbo on right.
Attached Thumbnails a few quick questions if anyone care to give their $.20-img_0036.jpg  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: a few quick questions if anyone care to give their $.20