3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Death Wobble! BAD - NEED HELP

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2005, 08:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Death Wobble! BAD - NEED HELP

Death Wobble is Horrible - It happens every day now

I have read all the past post on this issue over the last couple days and have come up with the conclusion that I should either take out a loan and just start replacing parts or sell the truck.

Although I am exagerating a little, this is a major issues, I drive over 100 miles a day and it at least happens once or twice each time. Truck is out of warranty (56,000 miles) so the dealer is no help.

What I have done is adjust the caster to all the way forward, done this by loosening the lower control arm nut and rotating the washer forward. This in turn forces the upper ball joint behind the lower creating positive caster. ( I think all that is correct ) But I still have the problem.

I would be happy to go and buy the bilstein shocks if I new that was going to take care of the issue but if it dont I am just throwing money away. Track bar seems very tight, when the truck is in Park and turn the whell back and forth the bar does not move.

The truck does have spacers, but they have been on there since 1500 miles ,over55,000 miles over the same road for the past year and no DW, WHY NOW

Please provide what has worked for you guys- This is a serious safety issue

thanks guys
Old 08-18-2005, 11:17 AM

I hear a lot of talk about getting KORE spacer kits that go on the track bar. I have not done this as I do not have DW... yet.
Old 08-18-2005, 01:26 PM

Nutty - I wouldn't wish this on anyone as it is quite scary but just be ware, I also thought I didn't have to worry......then all the sudden..............

How many people have this problem?????? 61 people have looked at the post and only one response and he didn't even have the problem. Is this just occuring to a few of the unlucky ones??????

thanks guys
Old 08-18-2005, 01:56 PM

Shot in the dark, but when mine did it, I rotated and set all tires to equal pressure. Has only happened once since. That was 7 1/2 months after rotate, and I think the tire pressure had something to do with it because the fronts look a little low.
Old 08-18-2005, 01:57 PM

It's definitely in the front suspension.

I have recently experienced it as well (although not in my truck yet) and will try to find out for you.

I agree its absolutely ridiculous.
Old 08-18-2005, 02:08 PM

El - What tire pressure did you set yours to. I have all four of mine at 52 lbs, it is a little much for the rear but they are wearing great so hate to play around too much. They are the stock BFG's and have probably 5 to 7 thousand left

thanks
Old 08-18-2005, 02:56 PM

Thats probably not your problem then. I set them at 45psi all around. The fronts were around 20-25psi before I rotated and aired them up, or basically, when I had the wobble. It only happened to me 15-20 times before I rotated and aired them up, and like I said, it's only happened once since. I wish you guys luck with this.
Old 08-18-2005, 04:03 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
If you want to live...remove the leveling kit. I did and I am here to talk about it. The Bilsteins did not help. Alignment did not help.
Old 08-18-2005, 06:36 PM

What kind of spacer kit do you have, Urathane? Like previously stated, I would try removing the spacer, or switching to the solid steel type.
Old 08-18-2005, 07:40 PM

I had a SERIOUS death wobble too. It turned out to be a worn out steering stabilizer. I would unbolt it at the axle end and check for any play. Hopefully yours is that simple
Old 08-18-2005, 07:56 PM

Take it to a good alignment shop and have the front end components checked. Any of the major components that have excessive wear could cause the problem.
Old 08-18-2005, 08:12 PM

Had BAD BAD DW on a 79 Chevy 4X4. The 40" Dick Cepek bias ply tires were going out of round causing it to start... Changed tires to the Radial 38.5's and a dual sterring stabilizer and never had the problem again.

The largest contirbuter to DW was tire balance on that truck.

I have the leveling kit in this truck with 315 tires. Once in awhile I feel a slight shudder in the wheel and it just brings back bad memories. I will soon be installing a dual stering stabilizer before a full DW occurs. (hope this will prevent it)..
Old 08-18-2005, 09:36 PM

Too much positive caster can cause a shaking front end. Too much cross caster or the difference between left and right will cause a pull to the more positive side. I went through the death wabble on my 79 f150. I ended up installing some 7degree caster c-bushings in backwards and now you can drive the truck at any speed without worry. Caster is a driver comfort type thing. Its what makes the steering wheel come back to center and try to keep it there while going down the road. negative caster will cause the truck to wander left to right or what is know as bump steer. I set my 79 up negative because I dont drive it on the road but even with negative caster it drives great. another down side to negative caster is that it makes bumps more noticable. thats where freightliner got its nick name freight shaker. Back in the 60's powersteering wasnt very popular on road trucks so freightliner set the caster negative and used it as a selling point saying they had the easiest steering of all because it does make the steering easier. Just my view on the whole thing though.
Old 08-19-2005, 09:36 AM

Originally posted by Jeff K
I had a SERIOUS death wobble too. It turned out to be a worn out steering stabilizer. I would unbolt it at the axle end and check for any play. Hopefully yours is that simple
I second that. I would consider a dual stabalizer!!!
Old 08-19-2005, 09:56 AM

Dude take those **** spacers off go back to stock. I had the same problem. Took the spacers off and been fine ever since.....

Quick Reply: Death Wobble! BAD - NEED HELP