3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Dead Starter Repair - Check your's (Blown Starter Relay Fuse - Cause/Cure)

Old 01-11-2008, 07:53 AM
FMB

Received 68 Likes on 62 Posts
Dead Starter Repair - Check your's (Blown Starter Relay Fuse - Cause/Cure)

Tuesday, I went to Wally World to pick up stuff, came out and the truck wouldn't start. Nothing at all from the starter, no big click, groan, slow roll or anything. Guages and lights worked fine and no codes. I pulled the fuse cover, and found the Starter Relay Fuse was blown.

Wally World didn't have a 30A plastic fuse so I walked 1/2 mile to the Dealer who sold me 2 for 1/2 price. Maybe he liked the way I tossed the blown fuse on the counter and asked if he would cover it under warrantee, as I only had 133k miles on the truck. Bought two, one for the attempted easy fix with a spare, or if that blew I had one for the next try after further troubleshooting.

New fuse didn't blow with ignition on (I checked) but blew immediately when I tried to start. Again, nothing from the starter. Towed home, checked out DTR, checked manual, tested relay (should have known that was good). Just when it was time to crawl under truck, it started pouring rain. I ordered the HD Contacts from Geno with overnight delivery about 5 min after the truck left, so it will be shipped Wednesday.

Did more DTR searches and found an interesting comment by Cuda.
Originally Posted by cuda
It was a white wire to the solenoid that grounded out on a metal bracket. thanks for the info,...probably saved me a lot of money. Much appreciated!!!
Thanks Cuda, after working all day and after dinner, I put on work clothes and looked for that white wire and bracket. Look what I found when looking through the driver's front wheel well, just above the starter. As shown in the photo, the main heavy + cable and the black (might be dirty someother color) wire comes out of the split loom. The black wire goes up, touches a bracket, then goes down to the starter. Where it touches the bracket, it rubs till it shorts, causing your starter relay fuse to blow.

Since the HD Contacts weren't here yet, I pulled the black wire back and taped it down with electrical tape. That should hold it till I pull the starter. New fuse, and I was back in service.

Old 01-11-2008, 08:20 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Good info. I'll check mine at the next PM.

MikeyB
Old 01-11-2008, 09:23 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Yeap, mine was touching there also. Just bent it out of the way for now until I can get some plastic wire loom on it.
Old 04-18-2009, 10:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yellow Starter Wire

Bringing this one back to the top!!! The stickey doesn't have the picture any longer and this post does! I have been jacking with my truck for 3 hours and finally read the Yellow Starter Wire thread and saw the picture. I couldn't reach it, so I used a long screw driver to get to it and move it from that bracket. My truck is a 4X4, so getting to that wire and putting some loom over it will be a PITA, but at least I know what the problem is.....

BTW, in my case, I had no blown fuses, just no starter motor, no clicks or any amp draw. The lights went out on the radio and the odomoter, cut no click, click click or constant clicking like when the batteries are low.

THIS FORUM IS G R E A T ! ! ! !

Hay
Old 11-14-2010, 03:54 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
FMB,

Great Post! You just saved me a lot of time and money!!!

I came out from church today and the truck turned over, then nothing. I checked the starter fuse and it had blown. I ran to the auto store and the whole way there... I'm telling my son that a fuse doesn't just blow for no reason. I tried another fuse and it didn't even turn over before the second fuse went. I was ready to replace the starter all together.

I came home and found your post on DTR. Awesome. Drove back up to church and was able to move the black wire away from the bracket and she started right up.

Thank you!!!!
Old 11-14-2010, 07:52 PM
FMB

Received 68 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by lv2bunderwater
Great Post! You just saved me a lot of time and money!!!
Glad I could be of assistance, but Cuda started this IMHO. Might I suggest you send 5% of your savings to DTR, or buy something from their store to keep them up and running. Every buck helps.
Back to evening brew. . .
Old 11-14-2010, 09:09 PM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is a good write up! Hadnt read it before. Pictures really helped.