3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Code P2146 (1st time ever!?!?)

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2016, 05:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Code P2146 (1st time ever!?!?)

Sad that I'm back but glad that it's something for me to come back too. Ironically its been almost exactly 1 month since my last post/issue.
Still being "NOT" mechanically inclined , I ran into a new issue during the last 300 miles of my 1000 mile 5th wheel camper delivery.
I stopped and topped off my fuel tank just afterbhaving some new rear brake pads put on and not even 1/4 mile after pulling away from the fuel station, truck became raged, lymph, & loud. Code P2146 appeared on my Edge CS display.

P2146 Fuel Injector Group 1. Supply Voltage Circuit/Open
Does this mean injectors destroyed, bad, or just what?
There was no smoke at all and no prior indicators or warnings of anything going bad.

Could it be in the programmer?
I did unplug it all and when I started the truck it sounded normal and regain of power but very little power. Not enough to be on the interstate with a 37' Trailer.

I plugged the programmer back up, truck sounded good and normal for about 3 minutes then right back to the original issues.

Please advise as I'm in dyer need of a fix or even a 600 mile "bandaid" because I need to make delivery of this trailer and another 300 mile trip afterwards to my daughter's college graduation.

*I initially thought bad fuel because none of this happened until I fueled up, but I'm now leaning more toward the programmer because of the actions when plug/unplug.

Oh yeah... 2005 Dodge Ram 3500 SLT Dually w/5.9 Cummins 4x4
Old 05-06-2016, 02:39 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
" truck became raged, lymph, & loud."???????????????????????????
Old 05-06-2016, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by johnh
" truck became raged, lymph, & loud."???????????????????????????
Yes.
Raged as in shaking & vibrating
Lymph as in no power even with accelerator pressed to the floor.
Loud as in sputtrring and sounding like a tractor.
Old 05-06-2016, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by negotiator
Yes.
Raged as in shaking & vibrating
Lymph as in no power even with accelerator pressed to the floor.
Loud as in sputtrring and sounding like a tractor.
Raged means to me and the rest of the english speaking world " was mad or angry" lymph as in lymph nodes
Old 05-06-2016, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by johnh
Raged means to me and the rest of the english speaking world " was mad or angry" lymph as in lymph nodes
Ok. Sorry... i was in a hurry and frustrated as I am still. I failed to show my birth certificate and College English transcript.

Do you offer a suggested fix or remedy to what i described?
Old 05-06-2016, 04:40 PM

UPDATE: Code P2146

Talked to Edge Performance tech, updated software, and reconnected everything including both batteries for a full engine reset. Altho the tech stated that there was nothing with the equipment to cause the issue with the truck, all seemed to work fine with city driving for about 3 hours... no codes and truck ran strong.

I reconnected to the 5th Wheel Camper and immediately as I pulled forward... the Code P2146 again along with the previous description of the truck's action.

I have gone through the entire reset process again and truck is running fine.
I have NOT reconnected to the trailer again yet.

What do you all suggest? HELP!!! (Istill have a 300-mile trip for delivery.
Old 05-06-2016, 04:42 PM
DTR Detective

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
You have a failed injector solenoid most likely, other possibility is a failed injector harness/valve cover gasket.
Old 05-06-2016, 04:45 PM

Ok. Sorry... i was in a hurry and frustrated as I am still. I failed to show my birth certificate and College English transcript.

Do you offer a suggested fix or remedy to what i described?
weak batteries are a known problem for that year,i would load test both batteries and go from there.
Old 05-06-2016, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by steelblitzkrieg
You have a failed injector solenoid most likely, other possibility is a failed injector harness/valve cover gasket.
Really... valve cover gasket can cause that... wow!!!
I do have a leak at the cover.
Old 05-06-2016, 05:25 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Really... valve cover gasket can cause that... wow!!!
I do have a leak at the cover.
You bet... the wiring for the injector solenoids are built into the gasket

This is why we say the FIRST thing you should do is purchase the Factory Service Manual...it saves you time and money
Old 05-06-2016, 07:27 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
OP states he has a 2005 Dodge Cummins, therefore the injector harness is NOT built into the valve cover gasket as the 2006+ trucks.
The OP can confirm this by examining his engine.

OP has a EDGE CS. Is this an Edge Juice with Attitude interceptor module?
If yes, remove it and put it for sale. Get that mess of Edge module wires out of your engine compartment.
The Edge interceptor module can be causing this issue.

Search on P2146 on this forum and you will find that injector 1, 2 or 3 is reporting an error to the ECM.

If the error persists with the Edge module removed, resistance checks on all injectors would be the next step.
Old 05-06-2016, 07:35 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by StealthDiesel
OP states he has a 2005 Dodge Cummins, therefore the injector harness is NOT built into the valve cover gasket as the 2006+ trucks.
Absolutely correct...my mistake
The following users liked this post:
StealthDiesel (05-06-2016)
Old 05-07-2016, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by StealthDiesel

OP has a EDGE CS. Is this an Edge Juice with Attitude interceptor module?
If yes, remove it and put it for sale. Get that mess of Edge module wires out of your engine compartment.
The Edge interceptor module can be causing this issue.

Search on P2146 on this forum and you will find that injector 1, 2 or 3 is reporting an error to the ECM.

If the error persists with the Edge module removed, resistance checks on all injectors would be the next step.
Yes. It is the 2005 model and yes, it is the Edge Juice w/Attitude (came with the truck... i bought it used from a dealership).
I did unplug everything now and also before this issue in an attempt to go back to the stock engine operations. With it all unplugged (each time), the truck acts normal with the exception of very little power/torque. Meaning... i press the accelerator to the floor and there is barely any speed or pulling power (is there a certain amount of time i should wait before attempting to drive after the unplugging of those components?).

I'm at a loss. I just find it strange too that this code of P2146 had never appeared nor the truck acting this way ever until getting fuel at this particular station that I never had before.
Old 05-07-2016, 09:59 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Yes. It is the 2005 model and yes, it is the Edge Juice w/Attitude (came with the truck... i bought it used from a dealership).
I did unplug everything now and also before this issue in an attempt to go back to the stock engine operations. With it all unplugged (each time), the truck acts normal with the exception of very little power/torque. Meaning... i press the accelerator to the floor and there is barely any speed or pulling power (is there a certain amount of time i should wait before attempting to drive after the unplugging of those components?).

I'm at a loss. I just find it strange too that this code of P2146 had never appeared nor the truck acting this way ever until getting fuel at this particular station that I never had before.

Make sure the Edge Attitude is completely removed.
ALL the engine connections including MAP, all 3 injector connections, the Cummins engine diags port, etc.

I'm not sure the EDGE CS will still work with only the 1 connection to the OBD port and disconnected from the Attitude.

If the engine still has no power, it might still be in limp mode. Try clearing any DTC's again and make sure the CEL is off and no codes are present.

If the engine still has no power and no CEL and no codes, you have something else going on.
Next step would be to check the low side (lift pump) fuel pressure with a gauge.

With the fuel filter canister drain open, put a bucket under the drain hose and bump the ignition key without starting the engine.
This will turn on the lift pump for about 30 seconds.
Fuel should really shoot out of the drain hose.

As for the Edge J/A, technology has passed by those old interceptor modules with their corresponding mess of harness's.
They are no longer the best or recommended way to add power.
Recently recently HP Tuners and Smarty UDC Pro custom ECM tuning are far superior.

But 1st you need to get your engine running properly in stock mode.
Old 05-16-2016, 04:48 PM

UPDATE#2: Code P2146 (back working)

Sad that I'm back but glad that it's something for me to come back too. Ironically its been almost exactly 1 month since my last post/issue.
Still being "NOT" mechanically inclined , I ran into a new issue during the last 300 miles of my 1000 mile 5th wheel camper delivery.
I stopped and topped off my fuel tank just afterbhaving some new rear brake pads put on and not even 1/4 mile after pulling away from the fuel station, truck became raged, lymph, & loud. Code P2146 appeared on my Edge CS display.

P2146 Fuel Injector Group 1. Supply Voltage Circuit/Open
Does this mean injectors destroyed, bad, or just what?
There was no smoke at all and no prior indicators or warnings of anything going bad.

Could it be in the programmer?
I did unplug it all and when I started the truck it sounded normal and regain of power but very little power. Not enough to be on the interstate with a 37' Trailer.

I plugged the programmer back up, truck sounded good and normal for about 3 minutes then right back to the original issues.

Please advise as I'm in dyer need of a fix or even a 600 mile "bandaid" because I need to make delivery of this trailer and another 300 mile trip afterwards to my daughter's college graduation.

*I initially thought bad fuel because none of this happened until I fueled up, but I'm now leaning more toward the programmer because of the actions when plug/unplug.

Oh yeah... 2005 Dodge Ram 3500 SLT Dually w/5.9 Cummins 4x4

Just wanted to say thanks to each of you who helped by your offered advice. I did unplug everything to include the battery cables and after an overnight sitting, I reconnected everything and all seems to be fine. I made the remaining 300 mile trip to Louisiana to deliver the 5th wheel trailer and from there back to Michigan without any further problems.
I do confess that I still have the Edge Tuner still connected because when I disconnected it, the truck worked but with low power (even when I pressed the accelerator pedal completely to the floor). I do truly believe it is in the wiring harness though because now I have a new code appearing.

*Code P0720 Output Speed Sensor Circuit appeared and once again the truck ran like crap. I quickly replaced the sensor and the truck didn't get any better. I completely unplugged the wiring connector to the sensor and the truck has ran the best ever since I have owned it. Is that safe though?
I'm not having any further issues since the unplug, but am I basically waiting on a problem to happen since I have it unplugged?

Thanks again to all of you. This site is AWESOME!!!

Quick Reply: Code P2146 (1st time ever!?!?)