3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

3rd gen leafspring swap? is there a kit? or what can be converted..

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 07:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 3rd gen leafspring swap? is there a kit? or what can be converted..

04 3500 here..trying to swap my coils over to leaf springs in front for "lift" now have the 6" coils running 37's. would love to run 40's or bigger. just back in my day leaf spring lift was so common. lot of lift for cheap money. i know my coils give me a nice "soft" ride.....but wonder if with leaf springs would it be about the same due to the weight of the cummins???????? thats my question? just curious about the conversion and ride. any comments are welcome.
Old 10-18-2006, 08:12 AM

A four link suspension is best and that's what's on there now. Leaf springs in front is old technology. A conversion would require a complete steering fabrication as well as cutting off all the brackets for attatching the current config. Look into an air ride kit or rockcrawlersuspension.com. They have an 8" coilover setup.
Old 10-18-2006, 11:21 AM

Get into much more lift, and you'll run into some serious steering issues. Crossover steering can only bear so much angle before handling and safety are compromised. Bent drag links are death on a stick.

Edited by Admin link contained profanity

Leafs will work, but you're looking at a lot of heavy, and expensive fab work. You may find some bolt on boutique that will step up and do the work, but that does not mean that it'll be done right. You'll also lose a bit of turning radius when you switch to leafs.

6" of lift is a lot, at what point does your truck not become fun to drive, or safe for that matter? How much more do you think you need? How does your S/O feel about riding in it, or getting in and out of it? Have you considered how those 40's are going to wear on the axles? Ball joints, u-joints, axle shafts?

I wouldn't lift it any higher, I'd trim the fenders, and find some flares, then look into those 40's.
Old 10-18-2006, 11:37 AM

With today's technology tall coilover/link suspension lifts are possible. Several companies already offer, or will soon offer, 8" coilover lifts. Start with the companies PanteraGSTK listed. Steering isn't so much an issue anymore with hydraulic setup becoming commonplace. Good luck!
Old 10-18-2006, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by ptgarcia
With today's technology tall coilover/link suspension lifts are possible. Several companies already offer, or will soon offer, 8" coilover lifts. Start with the companies PanteraGSTK listed. Steering isn't so much an issue anymore with hydraulic setup becoming commonplace. Good luck!
Hydro assist is OK, full hydro steering is a no-no on the street. No DOT blessing on that one. They want to see mechanical linkage as a fail-safe should a failure in the hydraulic system occur.
Old 10-18-2006, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Gummi Bear
Hydro assist is OK, full hydro steering is a no-no on the street. No DOT blessing on that one. They want to see mechanical linkage as a fail-safe should a failure in the hydraulic system occur.

Yeah, I hear 'ya. I wouldn't do either, but most guys lifting trucks high enough to clear 40's are already breaking the law and don't really care what the DOT says. I prefer a 3" lift capable of taking dirt roads at high speeds!
Old 10-18-2006, 01:46 PM

[hijack]PT - If you like fast trucks off road, check this one out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPOz8lnLkpM

http://www.fordf2000.com/

Sex on wheels.

(I'm getting excited, Baja is coming in a few weeks, I've got a couple of buddies racing this year) [/hijack]

Rizzo, before you go and do a lot of major modification to your truck (some of it is irreversable when you start going that big), I'd advise you to go and drive one that's already done. Take it on the freeway, try parking it at your favorite restaurant or movie theatre. Know what you're getting in to.

If you'll notice, trucks that are 'customized' get expensive quick, and aren't worth squat when you go to sell, or get tired of it. Watch them on Ebay, they get listed high, and after several failed auctions, wind up going for nearly nothing.
Old 10-18-2006, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Gummi Bear
PT - If you like fast trucks off road, check this one out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPOz8lnLkpM

http://www.fordf2000.com/

Sex on wheels.

(I'm getting excited, Baja is coming in a few weeks, I've got a couple of buddies racing this year)

Right on, thanks for the link Gummi Bear. I saw that truck in the advertisement for the offroad show in Pomona that just past. It appears that it works as good as it looks.

My brothers and I are dying to get to Baja one year, we're just not sure where to stay (hotel or camp or what), and none of us are really comfortable dragging our coaches down there. Eventually we'll make it down.
Old 10-18-2006, 07:20 PM

I would go with a coilover setup , for that mater add a body lift before I would go with leafs. As for ride first gens had front leafs, and they dont ride very well, I have a cummins in my chevy(see sig) with 52" long rear leafs in the front and it rides a lot better than a first gen but know where as nice as the coil set ups. Keep the 21st century tech and just make it better if you want more lift.
Old 10-18-2006, 09:02 PM

Talking leaf springs..

thanks guys..after reading all the posts so far i get the idea now. i will just get bigger coils or coilovers. just thought the leaf spring set up would be alot cheaper and more lift for the buck.. my good friend builds rockcrawler jeeps. i haven't even talked to him about my madness. i will see him soon. he will just shake is head i'm sure.. oh, the comment gummie made...................

How does your S/O feel about riding in it, or getting in and out of it? no woman now.. kicked her to the curb.. so i guess i was cheating on her after all since i'm married to this truck..LOL and no problems getting in and out w/power steps !! again guys thanks for the imput here.. i will reconcider my crazy thoughts.. will update soon with coils..