3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

3rd Gen Front End Shimmy/Wobble

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 06:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to the site. So I should first say hello and thank you all who contribute information as it is most helpful.

I bought a 06 3500 recently (Saturday) and noticed it has what I would describe as a fairly mild shimmy in the front end. In researching about it, I wound up here reading about the death wobble. I do not know if I have death wobble or not.

Can somebody give me a good description of what the death wobble feels like?

I notice my shimmy at various speeds. I have felt it going 35 mph. I have felt it going 70 mph. But then it goes away and then comes back. Just feels like I am riding on a mildly bumpy road. Maybe I just need my tires rotated/alignment/pressure checked? You can feel it in the steering wheel. Passenger can feel it also. Seems to be more on the front drivers side. Tires all appear to be in good shape. All stock. Truck has 40k for miles. Thanks for any info any of you can share.
Old 10-02-2007, 01:57 AM

I have an 06 2500 with about 22k on it and have had dw too many times to count. I have had it at 45mph all the way to 75mph which was pretty scarry on Houston busy freeways. It digusts me how DC would let a truck on the road with this kind of problem.
Old 10-02-2007, 02:53 AM

we were out doing about the same thing when I was on a test run by myself and I got on the brakes not bad but the whole truck started bouncing, so I got off the brakes and it was still doing it some. I thought I was done for honestly. I got a little nervous because I was running about as fast as the truck will go. I honestly was a little scared becuase I wouldnt stop doing it. my truck has done this to my twice now. Its not a fun feeling and I could see how someone could crash their truck when it happens. I almost pooped my pants cause I didnt know what happened LOL
Old 10-02-2007, 04:58 PM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by 06_3500
New to the site. So I should first say hello and thank you all who contribute information as it is most helpful.

I bought a 06 3500 recently (Saturday) and noticed it has what I would describe as a fairly mild shimmy in the front end. In researching about it, I wound up here reading about the death wobble. I do not know if I have death wobble or not.

I notice my shimmy at various speeds. I have felt it going 35 mph. I have felt it going 70 mph. But then it goes away and then comes back. Just feels like I am riding on a mildly bumpy road. Maybe I just need my tires rotated/alignment/pressure checked? You can feel it in the steering wheel. Passenger can feel it also. Seems to be more on the front drivers side. Tires all appear to be in good shape. All stock. Truck has 40k for miles. Thanks for any info any of you can share.
--------------------
06 3500:

Welcome to the website and the world of "front end shimmy/wobble" on the CR Trucks and some 2nd Gens too!

If you read what all the Members have said about their experiences with the "front end wobble" I would add that "you will definitely know it if you get it bad enough!"

On the trucks I have been in when it has happened, like DTR Member "banshee's", you will hit a bump in the road and at that time the front end will begin to shake and the steering wheel will vibrate and shake.
In some cases, it will go away, sometimes it will not. As Jessie (jwb600) said, "his whole truck started bouncing" and he had a hard time getting it under control. IMHO, the faster you are going, the worse it will be!
It sounds to me like your truck is doing it just a little bit. All I can say is, be careful.

Thanks for everyones continued input.

--------
John_P
Old 10-03-2007, 10:20 AM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 06_3500

Sounds to me like you simply need to get your tires balanced (a little vibration is not DW). While they are doing that look for a bent wheel. Be sure you get a good machine balance at a reputable tire shop.

John
Old 10-03-2007, 11:04 PM

Thanks John. Was talking to a friend who used to work for Les Schwab today and he told me the same thing. I'm taking it in Saturday for a balance/alignment.
Old 10-06-2007, 10:42 PM

I finally solved the death wobble problem on my truck. It started at about 79k miles when I switched to 315's. Replaced the shocks with Bilstiens, Have 189k on her now with no problem.
Old 04-21-2009, 01:28 PM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
BACK TO THE TOP..........................................

For any of our DTR Members doing a "SEARCH ON DEATH WOBBLE" and reach THIS older thread on the "Death Wobble" on ANY YEAR Dodge CTD Pickup truck,.......I am going to add a related and updated detailed thread below:

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/....php?p=2444405

Please feel free to post here also if you want to.

Thanks!

--------
John_P
Old 07-03-2010, 03:45 PM

did dodge ever put out a recall on this? I have the same problem, less now that I replaced the steering stabilizer and shocks, but it still rears its ugly head sometimes. Dang near hit a bunch of people on the highway while I was pulling my race car trailer!! Scary for sure...thanks, Scott...nevermind, found the steering linkage recall form Dodge
Old 07-03-2010, 06:25 PM

Not that I know of. I had DW and took it Dodge and they said because I had put a leveling kit on, that I was on my on with the problem. I put dual steering stabilizers on and that did not fix it. Put new tires on and problem went away.
Old 07-08-2010, 09:53 PM

OK. This is very interesting. At the risk of slightly hijacking the thread I want to add a little twist on what happened to my 07 5.9 SRW 3500. My shimmy in the front consists of steering into a turn at low speeds (20mph or less) then as one turns out straight I get a wobble. Hiway speeds and cruising around town I get nothing. Now this started recently as we had the 5th wheel trailer hooked up to go to Vegas. Now it was ok and had never done this before then poof it starts up. Have 60,000km (37,000miles) on it. Had it checked at the tire shop first and rotated the tires. Shimmy seemed like it was less but it was still there. Now it is gone and I did nothing. This is weird. My fixes are going to be like this as the body warranty is gone now;
-replace shocks, steering track bar (right description?), put in rebuildable ball joints, replace hubs with Dynatrack type, and can we get solid bushings for the upper and lower control arms? Should make the front end a lot more stiffer.
My problems are way less than the other members describe here but I feel they are coming so I am taking measures to get it right now.

Any feedback is appreciated.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:25 PM

Wobble problems: get them worse with the hub cabs on.. as my driveway is often a 4x4 road. So figured there was mud stuck in there that is causing the tire balancing to be off. I am leaving the caps off for now. I am seeing a few other 1 ton duellies that have also left off their hub caps. I have relatively new michelin tires-only placed last summer.

just FYI.
Old 02-03-2011, 04:22 AM

Check tires thoroughly before all that.Wear pattern etc.Always start curing vibration with the first thing that hits the payment and work your way up.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:10 PM

had this happen to me yesterday going 80 on the freeway with cars all around - not fun at all!!!
will be going in for an alignment this week / I also have a dual stabilizer thats been sitting in the garage for 2 yrs waiting for install - hopefully these 2 things will do it. Tires only have 21k on them, dont want to replace them just yet....but if thats what it takes.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:42 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
My understanding - way back when this happened to me , was that it had nothing to do with the factory stabilizer. I KNOW it had nothing to do with the Brazil made shocks suz my new $300 KYB's made NO difference at all. I bought the Thuren track bar and had alignment shop adjust camber the way Thuren said to do and it was over. your basically stretching the wheelbase a hair but tilting the front diff forward. 5 years later and no problems. crossy

Quick Reply: 3rd Gen Front End Shimmy/Wobble