3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

2006, 5.9, 24v: Electric Fan clutch to old style, not electric conversion

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 01:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006, 5.9, 24v: Electric Fan clutch to old style, not electric conversion

Hi,
I don't post a lot, usually only when I have a problem. Well, new truck, new problem I've spent countless hours over last winter and now again searching for my problem and a possible fix. Well, from what I can tell most of you are just upgrading to electric fans. I don't think that will work for me.

Background:
I often haul quite a bit in the summer (and little in winter). Sometimes 40,000+ miles in four months. My truck is connected to a 32 foot gooseneck filled with moving cargo for three weeks straight. The trailer alone, when full of supplies and horses weighs 18,000 + pounds. The roads have grades as steep as 12%, sometimes they go on for 12 miles before heading back down. Not to mention the temperatures rise to 100F often.
So needless to say, when something breaks, I prefer to upgrade instead of replace with stock. However...

The manufacturer of the Electric Fan replacements recommends not using their product for vehicles that haul what I do. Basically it is for trucks that barely work, if at all. That would be fine, except I work my truck, pretty hard.

Here's why I am asking if anyone has attempted and succeeded or failed at the conversion to old style, non electronically controlled fan clutches:

These events happened over a two month period while hauling heavy load cross country: I went through four fan clutches and two different brands, and am still running on a fan clutch that won't engage and cool my truck. I have removed the thermostat, in which had also been replaced once or twice trying to determine the issue. The large amount of liquid flow keeps the truck nice and cool. But alas it is winter time in Alaska and I am about to put another new one back in for heat inside the truck. This means my truck will go back to overheating (yes even at temps below zero outside) when worked, put into heavy traffic too long, or run at speeds over 75mph for long distances.

Over heat meaning the gauge went/goes/will go all the way to the red and the truck will warn to check them.

Two of the fan clutches I went through don't really count I guess, since one was bad bearings within a 1000 miles of use, the other bad right out of the box, didn't make it 40 miles. None of the fan clutches I install will engage properly and cool the truck, you can reach in and stop the fan by hand when the truck is hot.. don't try this at home

Initially I thought the issue to be a bad thermostat or gauge due to the truck not seeming or smelling hot, and the gauge jumping around. The thermostat replaced, and an external gauge was put on -it read out same as dash. The Fan Clutch replaced. A few days later in the haul the truck overheated to boiling point hauling the load up a dirt road slow speed steep hill. Another Fan Clutch was purchased and installed.
Shorten it up:
The truck was "babied" all the way home, and another one installed, this time a Mopar. It too does not work, will not engage, truck will not cool. I'm pulling my hair out at this point.

I don't want to buy electronic fan clutch number five or is it six? lol Because it will only give the same results, I'm sure. Told myself to just buy the electric conversion before buying the latest fan clutch. But I couldn't bring myself to pay a high price for something even the manufacturer of the item recommends not using for my application.

There has to be another issue we are all overlooking, Someone who has completed a conversion to non electronic, somebody else with a similar issue? Anything would help, I'm way open to any advise or opinions, anywhere to check or something to try.

Thank You for Help.
Old 09-23-2013, 02:20 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Krystal,

I can't advise on your fan clutch issue as I have not seen any problems out of my 06 yet.....however on the electric fans I marvel at the posts the guys make talking about how good they are when they install them and then chuckle a little when I see them posted in our classifieds for sale

I know someone who has dealt with your issue will chime in soon so I will back out of here wishing you the best of luck on getting it right this time
Old 09-23-2013, 02:50 PM
Cummins Guru

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts
I hate to say it but has anyone yet actually checked the wiring to fan and radiator for restriction? You may want to have someone check the wiring to fan clutch that knows what he is doing. Here is diagnostics for someone capable of performing diagnostic test for your problem. Fan clutch from Chrysler usually came with connector, bad connections at fan clutch were a problem and replacing this connector was recommended when fan clutch was replaced.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:08 PM

Krystal,

You have an electrical problem with regards to your cooling fan clutch, check the plug at the clutch for condition and security. Check the wiring leading from the clutch for any breaks of chaffing. If you don't see anything obvious, take your beast to a competent mechanic and have him troubleshoot the electrical issue you may have, there may be a relay involved in there somewhere as well. Good luck and I hope you get this issue corrected soon!
Old 09-24-2013, 03:54 PM

Thanks everybody. The new fans come with wiring up to the snap. My husband who is a mechanic has done the work while I bust my head and do the research. I am also the only one who drives the truck, so I am the only one that gets the problems.
I'll see what he says.

Thanks again.
Old 09-24-2013, 06:11 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
So you are overheating? Water temp issue I assume. Is hubby installing the metal tube that supports the wires going to the front of the clutch properly. They have a tendency to get ripped out if not installed correctly. It is normal to be able to stop the fan by hand when it is not engaged. The problem comes when it does activate, bye-bye hand. If you have a bad fan, you will get a code. Don't remember the code off of the top of my head. The next thing I would do is pull the radiator and clean all the crap that clogs the front of it. It's not good to run our trucks without a thermostat, They will not get up to operating temperature and will burn more fuel, etc.
Old 09-25-2013, 11:32 PM

Is it possible to put the older style fans on in place of the stock electric one?
Old 09-26-2013, 08:26 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
After what you've changed, I'd get another fan from Mopar (maybe warranty the one on now) and replace it. I'd get new relay and replace the connector at the fan. The fans are designed to work with heavy loads, work...etc. I would not recommend going backwards with technology. Pull the charge air cooler and clean all the coils in a/c, radiator and whatever else is up there. Question: Do you have any kind of screen / gravel gaurd in front of radiator or behind grill? Maybe a brush gaurd?
Old 09-26-2013, 09:31 PM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Since you say it has overheated a few times how hot has it gotten? If too hot you may have done more damage than you think, and could be putting band aids on something that needs stitches!! Reaching boiling point is not good.
When unloaded is there EVER any signs of getting warmer than normal? You also say it will over heat at temps below zero MOST people complain they can't build ENOUGH heat in these trucks in below zero temps and yours will over heat?? Sounds like you have more than fan issues to me. I hope not but I would be checking into more than fans.
Old 10-03-2013, 02:52 PM

I'm not going to waist another $350 on fan clutch #6 or more. We are well beyond coincidence of numerous bad clutches out of the box. Initially that was my first thought, that's why I bought a different brand.
The truck will get hot when not working or pulling a load. Yes it sounds strange, but if I drive it over 75mph for five minutes or so (2400+ rpm), the temp will begin to rise. Loaded or not. I've only brought it to boiling point once, that was up the slow extremely steep windy gravel hill pulling a trailer in 105+ degree ambient temperature. I had just replaced another fan clutch, had the extra thermometer in, and just wasn't believing anything the truck was telling me.

Yes it will over heat in the winter, just hot not boiling. I've had Cummins in these temps for 14 years now, I know all about not getting warm. But nothing about not cooling down enough ;-)
It all sounds ridiculous, and I'm so tired and confused. I've never had such a problem with the fan clutches, that's why I asked if anyone has done a switch to the old ones, cause they are not electronically controlled.
The wires and the holder have all been installed properly, none ever damaged. I know if they are not wired properly through the pain in the rear metal tube they can be damaged.
My hubby is not a backyard mechanic. We do also have scan tools and such, so thank you for all the info. I'm printing it so we can try again. Otherwise I suppose its time for yet another Cummins to go up for sale to someone who does not work it as hard as me. I really wanted to keep this one too. :-(
Old 10-03-2013, 03:38 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I don't have input on your truck, but wanted to shout out for Talkeetna...

"A drinking village with a fishing problem".

No shrews... Bark's been around...
Old 10-03-2013, 07:56 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
It does sound like you have a blown head gasket or a big air pocket in the cooling system. Does it push any antifreeze and fill up the overflow tank?
Old 10-03-2013, 10:11 PM

I went out and looked at mine, I think the old style fan may work. Maybe someone from 2nd Gen will answer how much room you need for clearance of the fan hub assy. It will be tight, may have to run a fan without a clutch.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:55 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
IMO, the electronic viscous fan used in the 2003+ Dodge Cummins is an excellent system.
Yes, it's more complex than the old school viscous fan's but it's superior.

The electronic fan clutch is closely monitored by the ECM. Do you have a CEL on? Are any DTC codes being logged in the ECM?

If no fan codes are being logged are you sure the fan is causing your overheating issue?
Old 10-04-2013, 08:04 AM

Maybe I miss it. Did you seperate all the coolers on the front? Maybe you have a partial blockage? Have you changed and or checked the water pump? Maybe the impeller is spinning on the shaft, or somehow become damaged?

Quick Reply: 2006, 5.9, 24v: Electric Fan clutch to old style, not electric conversion