3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

fuel issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 04:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fuel issues

I need a second option on some stuff. !st off i think it is my # 5 injector or my Wiring harnesses ( in valve cover). I have a 2006 dodge 2500 larmie 4x4 with the 5.9 cummins . In the past my truck would go into limp mode and engine light come on . i would change fuel filter and then it was fine. I would change my fuel filter every 5,000 miles. ( i work on AAV in the Marine corps we use the V8 903 cubic in 525 hp cummins) so i know about fuel clean issues. well in the last 6 weeks i have changed my fuel filter 4 times. this morning my truck did it again. changed fuel filter and did not change still ran in LIMP mode. i Checked codes same as before IN the past i would get P0205 injector #5 open circuit, also get P2149 fuel supply 2 open circuit today i got both and got P0305 misfire injector #5. i done some research and i am going to pull valve cover and check to see if any wires have come lose on the #5 injector solenoid, the Ohm check it. then determine if it is the wireingharnees (valve cover) or the injector. I have both on order and pick them up tomorrow. going with OEM Bosch replacement.
AM I ON RIGHT TRACK?
IF INJECTOR SHOULD I REPLACE ALL 6?
ANY WHERE ELSE SHOULD I LOOK?
Old 04-20-2015, 11:00 PM
There is no G. There is no G. Repeat after me, THERE IS NO G!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Where are you getting fuel from? Possible you've got a contaminated/lower quality source?

If one injector is gone it's possible the others are in similar shape since they've been pushing the same fuel. It would be good to change all six at the same time to eliminate the hardware problem. Definitely check your electrical just for baseline knowledge. It's good to KNOW by verification rather than thinking it's good but actually haven't tested. If the hardware and peripheral electrical are good and then you're still having issues, you'll know you need to get deeper into the brain, as in ecm/tipm possibilities.

BTW what fuel filter are you running? Using any fuel lubricant like Lucas? Do you run a secondary fuel filter setup?
Old 04-21-2015, 04:00 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Joe,
You know nothing............you're guessing and by doing so contaminating help suggestions as well as your own logic. You need to make verifiable tests that deliver reliable results. Without that, you're chasing your tail.

You correlated fuel filter changes to the observed fault, but without filter disassembly looking for contamination, you really don't know that the two are related?

Go find someone that has an injector test bench and tell him to test the #5 injector. Don't buy any parts until you find the fault. If you don't know, find someone that does and don't accept someone else's guesses either.
Old 04-21-2015, 04:57 AM

shorts- i have been getting fuel at the same place for about 2 years. i put power service plus cleaner and lubricant in my tank every 4th fill up or so. i run a standard Napa gold in my truck. i don't have a secondary but will probably be installing one soon. First thing i will check is the wiring harnesses and do a OHM test on my injectors and then check for short in the wiring harness. I talked with the local Cummins mechanic for dodge he said to do that first then i am going to pull the injector and have it tested.
Old 04-21-2015, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by DurtyJoe
i think it is my # 5 injector or my Wiring harnesses ( in valve cover).
i Checked codes same as before IN the past i would get P0205 injector #5 open circuit, also get P2149 fuel supply 2 open circuit today i got both and got P0305 misfire injector #5.
i am going to pull valve cover and check to see if any wires have come lose on the #5 injector solenoid, the Ohm check it. then determine if it is the wireingharnees (valve cover) or the injector. I have both on order and pick them up tomorrow. going with OEM Bosch replacement.
AM I ON RIGHT TRACK?
IF INJECTOR SHOULD I REPLACE ALL 6?
ANY WHERE ELSE SHOULD I LOOK?
It's an electrical issue.
Check the wiring harness and the injector solenoid, both continuity test and insulation test, from ECM to harness connector, harness connector to solenoid and solenoid itself.
Old 04-21-2015, 08:51 AM

I think its an injector issue. I would test to make sure. I had the same thing happen to me about 4 years ago, same injector #5. At first I thought it was the wiring harness in the valve cover, since that was the most common consensus. I replaced it and still had an issue. I tested the injectors with an ohm meter. It turned out to be #5. You could also test with an infrared thermometer. Just start truck and zap the exhaust chamber right up against the head and check which one has a different tem reading. Here is where I describe how to test the injectors with the ohm meter.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...0/#post3033430

I did only replace that one because at the time i could not afford all six and I went with OEM. I did create a secondary filtration system with parts from NAPA, and here we are 4 years later and no issues.
Old 04-21-2015, 11:16 AM

An injector issue can be electrical or mechanical.
A bad solenoid is an electrical issue which would give you the DTCs and you can just change out the solenoid.
A bad injector with good solenoid would not give you those DTCs.

Work on those DTCs first before pulling injectors.
Old 04-21-2015, 03:31 PM

i pulled valve cover and did a OHM test pulled injector tested it at the F and E shop and yep bad. so replaced it then also noticed that the wiring harness was rigged by last person so went ahead and changed it out while everything was off and now all is good and runs like a champ. thanks for the input and help.
Old 04-21-2015, 03:34 PM

the injector had 3.5 ohms more than any other injector the common Ohm was 1.1. the wiring that was bad was at #2 injector but it tested out ok just changed it out to change it to prevent future mess ups.
Old 04-21-2015, 03:48 PM

Great to hear issue is fixed. Now i would focus on installing a secondary fuel filtration system for the truck. I made one with parts from Napa. Lot cheaper and just as good. With these filters on, filter in engine compartment looks brand new each time. Let me know and I could email you instructions on how to create for yourself?