3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Best Replacement Batteries

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 09:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Replacement Batteries

Have an O3 with OEM batteries and I think it is time to replace them. I have noticed that when the grid heater cycles I can hear my raptor 100's loading change and my fuel pressure fluxuates right along with the cycling of the grid heaters.

What's the best batteries to install for cold weather starting??
Old 10-03-2010, 09:52 PM
With age comes the cage

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Do a search on the group 31 battery install, two of them will give you over 2,000 CCA's
The following users liked this post:
Kerley (11-12-2018)
Old 10-03-2010, 09:53 PM

I put AC delco batteries in mine when it was time to change them. I have never had good luck with optimas so I went with the delcos. They have a 50 month replacement warranty and prorated for the remaining 3 years. I'm in AZ so our requirements are different with the heat we have out here.
Old 10-03-2010, 09:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I prefer the Sears Platinum batteries which are manufactured by EnerSys to the specifications of their Odyssey line. I have attached a link to a thread for your review.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...light=platinum

Last edited by Dr.Dizzle; 10-04-2010 at 11:33 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 10-03-2010, 10:54 PM

I second the DieHard Platinums. I'll be putting those in this winter.
Old 10-04-2010, 11:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
running Optima Red Tops here

no problems yet, no extreme cold down here, yet heat is pretty darn brutal mid july and august..
Old 10-04-2010, 12:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I went with the AC Delco's as well. Had the best bang for the buck in my opinion.
Old 10-04-2010, 01:01 PM

Based on my very limited research, I went with Kirkland from Costco. Same Johnson Controls battery being sold at Auto Zone, Pep Boys, Kragen, Walmart (reduced capacity and price here) and Sears Diehard Gold. Costco is at least $30.00 less for the same battery. Has 100cca more than OE battery did.
Old 10-04-2010, 03:26 PM
"How in the heck do I change the phrase in between my user name and avatar?"

This is in reply to the original poster....My '03 still has the factory batteries that are on borrowed time with winter coming on, but from day one of my AD150 install, when the grid heater cycles the pressure does drop because there is such a voltage change in the system when cycling that it pulls some power away from the AD pump. Mine will sometimes drop about 5 lbs on the pressure guage while the grid cycles but goes right back to the normal 18 psi when it's done. My batteries are getting very slow but I don't think putting new ones in will solve the pressure variation when the grid does cycle. It's just the nature of the beast. But, by all means, if your batteries are getting worn out then do replace them.....nobody likes being stranded .
Old 10-04-2010, 03:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I kinda like the Group 31 battery install that was posted on here a long time ago. I'm debating on doing it because I have a toyhauler and an OBA for my train horns and don't want to stess the stock units.

Before you ask, I'm considering the Oasis XD3000 for my air compressor with a third battery mounted under the bed with a Caterpillar style battery disconnect switch (the old two prong style key) so I have a way to lock out the compressor when I need to do service (change oil and brushes). It's either that, or I'll look into Extreme Outback's new EDC for the 6.7L Cummins ...... I was hoping Kilby would make one but they appear to have gone out of business in the past few weeks.

Kris
Old 10-04-2010, 07:36 PM

I still have the OEM batts after 7 yrs. and 274k so when they give it up I'm sure that is what I'll replace them with. The stockers must've been one he!! of a battery.

Jim
Old 10-04-2010, 07:41 PM
With age comes the cage

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
dezel,

What's the home 20? temperature extremes like -40 and +125 takes its toll..
Old 10-04-2010, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by jhenson
This is in reply to the original poster....My '03 still has the factory batteries that are on borrowed time with winter coming on, but from day one of my AD150 install, when the grid heater cycles the pressure does drop because there is such a voltage change in the system when cycling that it pulls some power away from the AD pump. Mine will sometimes drop about 5 lbs on the pressure guage while the grid cycles but goes right back to the normal 18 psi when it's done. My batteries are getting very slow but I don't think putting new ones in will solve the pressure variation when the grid does cycle. It's just the nature of the beast. But, by all means, if your batteries are getting worn out then do replace them.....nobody likes being stranded .
Yep that's exactly what mine is doing. I also notice my lights going dim when they cycle on. These are still the OEM batteries and the truck only has 33k on it but I hate the lights dimming more than anything. I had a 98 and replaced the OEM batteries with Interstate and even with new batteries it still did it and drove me nuts, makes you feel like you are driving a klunker. I just got this truck in Janruary and don't remember it doing it back then, didn't have the gauges or Raptor pump but had the lights and do not remember the lights going dim. All in all the truck starts just fine, I just figured with the age of the batteries and the dimming of the lights it is getting close to spending money time again, boy I hate that.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:07 PM

I agree with the Kirkland brand

Kirkland, nor WM, nor Sears have battery factories. They use Rayovac or similar to make the product and then install their own brand on it. The warranty in the first 2 yr's is what counts and also the price.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:36 PM

My OEM's are 8 years old and as long as I can read 12.4 volts after it has set for a while, I do not plan to replace them. I do keep a close watch on them as I know that they could fail any time. Of course I will not be making any long trips for a while, so if both batteries fail at the same time and leave me stranded, I can get help.

I have considered the O'Rielly battery. It has 880cca and is $104 with a 4 year free replacement and prorated for the next 6.

One big concern is corrousion if the batteries leak. I have no corrousion any where with the OEM's.

Quick Reply: Best Replacement Batteries