3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

06 Napa Steering gear/ps pump

Old 04-27-2015, 11:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
06 Napa Steering gear/ps pump

Anyone using NAPA Steering box and PS Pump for an 06 Ram? How are they? NAPA by me says they are using Quality Steering Boxes and PS Pumps and have not been having any problems with them. Never heard of them.
Old 04-28-2015, 08:46 AM

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts
My truck is an 01 so may be different. I used a redhead steering box Red-Head Steering Gears - Custom Rebuilt Steering Gear Boxes in USA so cant comment on the napa box. I did however use a napa pump (don't recall manufacturer as it came in a napa box), been a few years now and so far so good, iirc it was $70ish.
Old 04-28-2015, 11:20 PM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Tried Napa reman boxes on the 05. 5 of them, all were junk, all failed in the same manner as the stock box. Put a redhead box on, no issues, period.

Worth the money for sure. Napa pump has been a solid unit.
Old 04-29-2015, 05:23 PM

I got a good Napa steering box for my 07, so far. Have about 60k mi on it and it's still tight. I added a steering brace but only about 30kmi ago.
When my OE steering box died, the shuttle valve on the power assist side kind of grenaded rendering no power steering in one direction. I replaced a perfectly good steering pump at the same time with a Napa re-man pump because there was metal in the system.
That one lasted about 30kmi and started groaning and loosing power assist.
Replaced with 2 more re-mans, from Oreillys IIRC. They are re-built by the same company I found out around this time. One lasted a few thousand miles and lost power, the next one lasted about 10-15kmi then blew out and leaked out.
Had enough with it due to a PITA to replace and bought the new upgraded Mopar pump for like $600. Got maybe 15kmi on it and all is good except the pulley, pressed on flush with the snout on the shaft, is inboard about 1/16" out of line with the rest of the system. Now that the belt is "broke in" to the new alignment, it doesn't wear any more.
ANd if you buy a Mopar pump it doesn't come with the bolt to retain the pulley and different size thread than the old style pump so you'll need to get an 8mm? bolt to hold the pulley on.
Old 04-30-2015, 11:07 AM

Thanks, Napa said they changed manufacturers for there PS Pumps and steering gears. I wanted to buy local in case any problems.
Old 04-30-2015, 09:59 PM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Chris, I get the buy local for any problems. I had lots. To the point that I went with redhead, which is as far from local as you can get, in order to have a reliable product.

His stuff really is that good.
The following users liked this post:
nothingbutdarts (11-07-2018)
Old 05-06-2015, 03:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Napa boxes were absolute CRAP!!! I bought one 3 years ago and have since put in 5 more on warranty. Anything from leaking to loosening up to major mechanical failure where I couldn't turn right past center. This last box I installed last week and it is from a different re-manufacture. Once I got it home and ready to install we found the threads boogered and had to go get another one.
Old 05-29-2015, 07:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i put a new 08 factory pump on and a low mileage gear from the junk yard on mine. What a difference. 08 pump is pricey, but worth it.
Old 05-29-2015, 11:10 AM

I know I will probably get I told you so. I tried the NAPA remanufactured Gear bxs and PS pumps and they are junk I tried to stay local. Changed 2 gear boxes and 2 PS pumps. After the 2nd remanufactured pump did not fix the problem I quit and purchased a new Mopar Gear bx and PS Pump. cost about $1500 "ouch". The gear bx and pump look like the ones in the 15s. It is now working. Seems like every year I have to put a grand or more into this truck and I am meticulous with the PM work.Everything Mopar is crap. Havent had one problem with the motor except a rotted oil pan.
Old 10-28-2018, 05:18 PM

Question

My steering gear is going to be replaced either soon( if I can find a garage or warehouse where I live to rent space for a few days) or this spring. From everything I've read I'm guessing that RedHead is the first choice when replacing the steering gear. I've got a fairly stock 2500, only non factory parts are a Ranch Hand Bumper and a leveling kit. Red Head said that this unit would be OK for my truck: 2879: 2003-2008 Dodge 2500 AND 3500 Steering Gear. I am thinking, after reading about all the woes on the site, to also include this item 32005: 2003 – 2008 Dodge Steering Gear Frame Stabilizer. I usually put on 2-3K a year on this truck and it's 3K if I feel guilty about not using it. Most of the driving is to launch our boat at one of two harbors, 5 miles or 12 miles away, so still not convinced I'd need the stabilizer.

As A side note I'm torn between the new Mopar ball joints for this truck or the Carlis. The latter are awful expensive. Any recommendations on ball joints? Have anyone read this ball joint review?
https://blog.genosgarage.com/wordpre...m-ball-joints/
Old 10-29-2018, 10:21 AM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Get the big Mopar box.
CJC Offroad is a good source. Free shipping. Sucker's heavy.
http://www.cjcoffroad.com/Mopar-6817...68170214aa.htm
Old 10-29-2018, 07:30 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 151 Likes on 117 Posts
The original steering box on my truck failed way before the warranty expired and was replaced by the dealer. That one started to leak badly after the warranty expired. Replaced that with one from O'Reily's. That one leaked in short order. Paid the extra bucks for a Red Head many years ago and it has been problem free. Have had the BD steering brace on my truck for the last two steering boxes.

My first set of ball joints failed before the warranty expired and the dealer replaced them. The second set also failed under warranty and I persuaded the dealer to install Moog ball joints. They lasted a lot longer than the dealer ball joints, but also eventually failed. I then decided to use the pricey Carli ball joints and installed them myself. That was a few yeas ago and so far no problems. The only thing that I do not like about the Carli's is that they insist on taking the weight off the ball joints and having them greased every 2,000 miles, using special grease. Not really a problem, just a small PIA. It beats changing ball joints frequently.
Old 11-07-2018, 09:44 AM

Where’d you source your pulley?

Originally Posted by Grit Dog
I got a good Napa steering box for my 07, so far. Have about 60k mi on it and it's still tight. I added a steering brace but only about 30kmi ago.
When my OE steering box died, the shuttle valve on the power assist side kind of grenaded rendering no power steering in one direction. I replaced a perfectly good steering pump at the same time with a Napa re-man pump because there was metal in the system.
That one lasted about 30kmi and started groaning and loosing power assist.
Replaced with 2 more re-mans, from Oreillys IIRC. They are re-built by the same company I found out around this time. One lasted a few thousand miles and lost power, the next one lasted about 10-15kmi then blew out and leaked out.
Had enough with it due to a PITA to replace and bought the new upgraded Mopar pump for like $600. Got maybe 15kmi on it and all is good except the pulley, pressed on flush with the snout on the shaft, is inboard about 1/16" out of line with the rest of the system. Now that the belt is "broke in" to the new alignment, it doesn't wear any more.
ANd if you buy a Mopar pump it doesn't come with the bolt to retain the pulley and different size thread than the old style pump so you'll need to get an 8mm? bolt to hold the pulley on.
cant find a pulley that fits the shaft for the pump. Only finding the whole pump assembly. For like $800 :/