2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Windshield trim

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 11:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Windshield trim

I've search around and haven't found a clear answer, so here goes:

Is the windshield trim that wraps around the top and sides of the glass actually seal the water from entering inside of the body or is the glass sealed to the body and then the trim attached after when installed? I'm in the process of repainting my 96 and won't get the color coat on before it gets too cold to spray and thus have to run this winter with just the epoxy primer. I'd rather leave the trim off (it ripped when it was removed) so that I can easily tape off the window next spring when I shoot the color/clear.

TIA
Old 09-16-2010, 12:28 PM

The glass is sealed to the body. The trim is installed on the glass before the windshield is installed in the truck. I doubt you will be able to install the trim without installing the windsheild, but you might be able to modify the trim and glue it in and hope it holds
Old 09-17-2010, 06:05 AM

Thanks,

I'm more concerned about the windshield leaking without the trim as I won't be able to paint the roof until next spring and was hoping to run the truck in primer over the winter with the trim removed. Once the color/clear is down, I'm planning on having the windshield replaced. So if I understand the assembly process correctly, the glass is sealed to the body and it should not leak with the trim removed; right?
Old 09-17-2010, 07:11 PM

If it didnt leak before,, it wont leak now. You will be fine