2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Weird Tread Separations

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 10:31 AM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Weird Tread Separations

In the last month I've had TWO tires suffer from tread separation. One was an old Goodyear that I was running on the right rear as a spare until I got some new Michelins. That one began to bulge outward in a 4-5" bulge, and I kept an eye on it for awhile. Then one day it just quadrupled in size and the entire truck would bounce up and down as that bulging area made contact with the pavement. So I put another old Michelin I had on and threw that Goodyear into the bed. A couple of days later, while the truck was sitting in the sun, that Goodyear sitting in the bed exploded with a loud "bang".

Then two days ago coming home one night from a friend's house the truck began to vibrate, and the vibration got worse and worse. I couldn't go above 40 mph. So I babied it home in the dark and came out the next morning to find one of the Michelins on the driver's side front had developed a nasty tread separation. It was all pulled away from the side wall and the tread was bulging out like a football. That tire was a 4-year old Michelin LTX MS, and was one of a set I'd gotten at Costco. So I took it back to Costco and they gave me $127.00 toward a new Michelin.

What are the odds--I've never had a tread separation in my life, and then I get two in one month!
Old 05-12-2012, 12:44 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
Any time you see any excessive damage to a tire you should remove it from the vehicle and deflate it for safety reasons.

You can check the DOT date of manufacture to see how old they were. Age, not wear, dictate the usability of the tire.

Weird you had two different brands both separate with in a short time.

Costco is solid like that, they will replace/fix anything they sell including food if you aren't happy.
Old 05-12-2012, 02:19 PM

The Goodyear was really old--15 years old--but the Michelin that Costco replaced was only 4 years old. I know I shouldn't have run a tire as old as the Goodyear, but it had lots of good tread on it, so I stuck it on.

I've got 3 new Michelin LTX MS2 tires on it now--one more to get mounted (long story)--so hopefully no worries.
Old 05-12-2012, 04:34 PM

Yeah those separations can lead to a nasty blow out at high speeds. Glad you caught it!

My Michs were made in 04 and I only run them in the summer. Even though I store them in an enclosed shop, I have been told to watch them for small cracks and dry rot. One guy says they are done after 6 years!!
Old 05-12-2012, 10:23 PM

I believe it! My first two sets of Michelins always wore out evenly and I had zero problems with them. Then I got the 3rd set--I had problems right off the bat--there was a really bad squirrely handling at speeds above 60 and so I rotated them front to back, and the squirrely handling went away for 5,000 miles. Then I rotated them back and the squirrely handling came back, but not as bad, so I immediately rotated them back. Anyway it took about 15,000 miles for the squirrley handling to go away. The squirrley set was the 3rd set of Michelins. Now I just got my 4th set, and these seem fine right off the bat, so maybe they'll be good. I hope so.
Old 05-13-2012, 12:47 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I prefer Discount tire to get my tire from, they specialize in tires not groceries/electronics. They will also beat competitors prices
Old 05-13-2012, 02:42 PM

I bet D.T. only beats "advertised" prices. Costco generally has the lowest price I've ever seen and it includes mounting balancing and road hazard warranty. I have had Costco guys do my tires for the last 3 times, and their tech guys are very good--no Senors fresh from over the border--all the techs I've ever dealt with knew their stuff. The only thing is Costco membership does cost $55 a year, so if you are not going to shop there very much it doesn't pay just to get tires.
Old 05-13-2012, 04:10 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert Rausch
I bet D.T. only beats "advertised" prices. Costco generally has the lowest price I've ever seen and it includes mounting balancing and road hazard warranty. I have had Costco guys do my tires for the last 3 times, and their tech guys are very good--no Senors fresh from over the border--all the techs I've ever dealt with knew their stuff. The only thing is Costco membership does cost $55 a year, so if you are not going to shop there very much it doesn't pay just to get tires.
I've had more tire problems with tires from costco than any other store....doesn't matter what brand. i think the tires are seconds
Old 05-13-2012, 04:36 PM

Interesting. I hadn't thought of that. My first two sets were great for 90,000 miles--that's for each set--and only had one flat as I recall. Third set were the worst--I had that squirrely problem, and only got about 60,000 miles on them--two tires on that third set I warrantied, one for sidewall (road hazard) damage and then this one for tread sep. We'll see what this 4th set gives me.
Old 05-13-2012, 06:56 PM

Costco is pretty adamant about providing top shelf items. The local Costco touts its trained tire professionals and is pretty serious about their tire shop. Plus they have an outstanding warranty on just about everything they offer.

I don't purchase tires from Costco because I lose more time than money, instead buying from Les Shcwab who has always treated me right.

I would be interested in knowing the law regarding tire blems. Seems they wouldn't get out if they did occur, especially from Michelin.

In any event, you were in line for a problem with a 15 year old tire. The other one was probably just a fluke.
Old 05-13-2012, 07:04 PM

Yep. Tires, unlike us guys and our old cars and trucks, don't get better with age.

But ditto on their tech guys being good. I was always impressed by their knowledge and commitment to doing good work.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:48 AM

I also go to Schwab because there is one in every town in my courses of travel.

Pretty much gettin that way with Costco, too, though!
Old 05-14-2012, 11:49 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by SIXSLUG
I don't purchase tires from Costco because I lose more time than money
Boy, you're not kidding about losing time with Costco. When I buy tires I like drop off the rims, tell them to mount the new tires to the rims, and I'll be back to pick them up tomorrow.

Costco doesn't work like that--they interview you for darn near half an hour before they give the tires to you, asking stupid questions like "what color is your vehicle?" or "what cab style is your truck?"

After it's all said and done, Costco isn't really any cheaper than some of the better tire shops in my area anyhow.
Old 05-14-2012, 01:41 PM
Pickin on the wrong admin...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[QUOTE=Robert Rausch;3104744]Yep. Tires, unlike us guys and our old cars and trucks, don't get better with age.

...Tell me about it...
Old 05-14-2012, 10:49 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't go to Schwabs either. They can keep their "free" beef too.
They screwed me when I bought tires from them and refused to fix leaks, too these tires for Discount tire and they fixed them for free