2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Ugh voltage regulation

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 08:04 PM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Exclamation Ugh voltage regulation

Well yesterday while installing somewhere around $700 on new a/c parts I thought the alternator quit, voltage was battery only at any speed. Got a reman alternator (I know cheap) and the old one tested OK. Just threw in the new one and still just battery voltage. Everything else seems to work, a/c clutch, tach, etc. and everything has been working fine electrically for the past few years.

I breifley checked out/cleaned connections, gonna go try jumping out some grounds in a min but they all looked half decent.

I guess the thing to do is add an external regulator, grabbing one from a 1st gen truck will work? I found the link in the FAQ, didn't see which models etc. to avoid. I know they weren't made of russian rocket science, but just want to make sure I get something that will get me goin by tommorrow, got work to do!

Thanks for any help.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:14 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
That new part could be bad, I have had a couple instances now where new didn't mean "works".

Grounds can look "good" but not be. Its quick and free to pull them and clean them up. How about fuses and relays? I'd check them too!
Old 05-21-2012, 09:23 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
Hey, how about a bad cable or connection coming off the alternator.

I have read these go bad in past posts.

Also, check battery cable ends...
Old 05-21-2012, 09:46 PM

Just finished cleaning connections, at alt, batteries, grounds on motor/frame/body. Some where pretty dirty at the alternator end, but to no avail! I tried jumping the two batteries together, giving the alt case a solid ground from the battery, etc. and I'm still only seeing battery voltage at the alternator output, any RPM.

Only thing I haven't tried with the new alternator is grounding out the exiter (?), not sure if it's the blue or green wire on the back, but I thought if you did that the voltage will spike up to 16+V to make sure the alt is good. Too wet and dark to play anymore tonight, I might play with it a bit more tomorrow, then just throw in an external regulator.

Side note I don't think it's related but the fuel pressure was way low at idle, a bit rough of a start. The accountant (wife) isn't gonna like any more parts on the door step! Must be a full moon or something...
Old 05-22-2012, 07:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
check the main fuse under the hood.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:01 PM

Only thing I could think of is bad section of PCM. External regulator fixed it.

Some advice though, when I first hooked up the new reg it was over charging, almost 16 (15.6-15.8) no matter what. I found the wire I tapped into (run circuit at shutdown solenoid, was the closest!) had too much voltage drop once a load was hooked onto it, telling the reg low voltage and it tries to compensate.

I just hooked up the "ignition source" to a fused switch off the battery for now, just gotta remember to turn it on before I start it. Now it charges right around 14.6 with the switch on.

Found out the lift pump crapped out during this fiasco, wouldn't start easily (lost prime) and has no pressure at idle, even with return line pinched. Shoots up to 22psi max no load, has 225k+ mi on it so it's getting changed. When it rains it sure does pour around here!
Old 05-22-2012, 09:49 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Have you taken a stab at the ignition switch? I know I've replaced one on a 95 that had some start issues and would lose power if the keys weren't in just right.
Old 05-23-2012, 11:34 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Since it happened after working on the A/C I would look at any wire looms that were moved around in the process.
Could be the movement broke a wire or connection.
Old 05-23-2012, 04:18 PM

I didn't really have to fuss with any wiring much, everything went in pretty easy (no sledge hammers) and I did go through what I could reach for the wire harness on the motor, cleaned grounds, checked/cleaned pcm connections. Still only works with the external reg, and I'm fine with that. Everything else works, only other oddball is the "4wd" light flashes on briefly once in a while, when it does it makes the radio go into static. Haven't seen it since the ext. reg. yet.

Lift pump issue turned out to be some reaal dirty fuel I got somewhere. I tried cleaning pre filter and changing fuel filter and both were pretty nasty. When I looked at the container I drained the filter housing into it looked like someone dumped 1/2 cup of pepper in there. New lift pump is on the shelf for when it goes though!
Old 05-23-2012, 07:22 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
If it's that bad I would strongly consider dropping the tank and flushing the crud out of it.