2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

sport headlight conversion question

Old 08-23-2007, 09:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sport headlight conversion question

So I have converted to sport headlights. first off i have to say they are awesome how much clearer it is to see. I ordered the wiring kit from daniel stern and then I used those parts to make my own harnesses.

I ran the right headlight off the right battery and the left headlight off the left battery. When I went to hook them up thats when I realized that the factory headlights are negative switched. But I fixed that by changing a few wires and it was pretty easy to figure out.

But I have a problem with the headlights. Low beam works as just the outside and high beam is all four. When the foglights are on they turn off when you turn on the high beam like they should, but when I switch back to low all four stay on. If the fog lights arnt on then it goes back to just the outside.

Does anybody know how to fix this problem or did you run into this when you did a conversion. I dont really understand how the fog lights would affect this any help would be great thanks.
Old 08-24-2007, 05:28 PM

nobody's got any ideas why the fog lights make the high beams stay on?
Old 08-24-2007, 06:39 PM

ok lets see if this attachment works. heres a wiring diagram I drew of how I wired the headlights. Maybe this helps?
Attached Thumbnails sport headlight conversion question-wiring.jpg  
Old 08-24-2007, 08:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey Mopar when you try to switch back to low does the high beam indicator stay half lit, when they are all on? I had this problem when i put my snowplow wiring harness on. Never figgered it out so i just didn't use the foglights over the winter and when spring came i went to switch it back to stock so i could use them, but they no longer worked.
Old 08-24-2007, 09:51 PM
Banned

Do you have the plow prep group? On mine, I think it related to that. I noticed that my plow frame lights were installed by tapping into the left fog light 'hot wire'. Even without the plow on, I have the same problem after putting in the sports.

I was going to try to debug it, but now I actually think it is a "feature". When I'm on wide-open road with nobody around, I put the fogs on click high beams on and off, and I get all the filaments lit. Great for short term moose/deer detection. I just push the fog switch in when I want to get back to normal. I don't use the fogs much anymore because the light quality of the sports is soooo much better.
Old 08-24-2007, 11:31 PM

what do the sport lights look like? anyone have pics of them?
Old 08-25-2007, 12:09 AM

The high beam indicator goes out when I go back to low beam and Im pretty sure the outside bulbs go back to low but the inside ones stay on. I dont have the plow prep group. Also its an american truck not canadian so it dosent have daytime running lights.

Ya for now Ive just been staying on low beam with foglights becouse there so much briter I can see, but I would like to fix it just so I know its all working right.

I dont have a picture of them on my truck, but Ill get one on here in the morning. but heres a picture of them of the site I bought them from.
Attached Thumbnails sport headlight conversion question-sportlights.jpg  
Old 08-25-2007, 10:09 AM

i may need to find some for mine if they really help that much
Old 08-25-2007, 10:33 AM

they helped big time on mine my old headlights were barely any better than my foglights and my foglight lenses are all yellowed on the inside there not that great anyways, but the sport headlights are awesome. I just gotta figure out this fog light thing. I will get a picture of them on my truck today and I have all the info of where I got the stuff if you want it.
Old 08-25-2007, 11:09 AM

heres the pic of the lights in the truck plus i put on a new grill cuz mine had the chrome peeling but i dont have the dodge emblem yet
Attached Thumbnails sport headlight conversion question-picture-002a.jpg  
Old 08-25-2007, 07:50 PM

no more ideas?
Old 08-27-2007, 07:04 PM

So no one else ran into issues with there foglights when they put on sport lights. I just dont know what to look for.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by mopar-or-no-car
heres the pic of the lights in the truck plus i put on a new grill cuz mine had the chrome peeling but i dont have the dodge emblem yet
Those lights look sweeeet
Old 08-27-2007, 11:31 PM

thanks ya i think they look way better then stock
Old 09-06-2007, 08:54 AM

I just found this regarding the foglight problem:

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...t=sport+lights

down at post# 5

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: sport headlight conversion question