2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

shakes while turning

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 09:22 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
shakes while turning

I just did a bunch of front end work on my truck and now I have a shaking problem that I have never had.

A couple months back I put in a new steering gearbox, shocks, steering stabilizer, steering shaft, brake pads/calipers/rotors and new unit/hub bearing assemblies (FUN!) I should note that I also have a Steering brace (DDS) installed as well with newer swaybar bushings/end links.

After I was done with that I realized it needed a new Track Bar, i was hurting for time so I just bought the best one offered by O'Rielly's (Moog) and took it to the shop for alignment and had them install the Track bar too.

Now, my truck shakes when going around corners. I dont drive the truck everyday so I didnt notice it at first.

It does not shake when going straight, does not pull to either side when braking or driving. Perfect example of when it shakes is on a on/off ramp at a major highway interchange (cloverleaf style) where you are making a long, semi-sharp loop around to merge onto a new highway.

The shaking is mainly focused in feedback at the steering wheel, in other words, the wheel shakes back and forth in my hand as I am making the turns. I also feel it throughout the truck but not that bad.

The shop that installed the track bar aligned the front end is a shop I trust, they looked the rest of the front end over before aligning it and said everything else looks good (which was also my opinion).

Any suggestions? Where do I start? Could that brand new track bar be bad?
Old 05-11-2012, 10:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Could have a sticking u-joint on one of the front axles
Old 05-11-2012, 12:08 PM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by weiercd
Could have a sticking u-joint on one of the front axles
^^^^^^^ This. You could try squirting oil at the joints on both sides of the axle to see if it gets better temporarily, but the long term fix is fixing it.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:29 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Thanks for the tips!

Could pulling a trailer effect this? The first time I noticed I had my lawnmower trailer hooked up. I't a pretty light trailer though.

Also, I sprayed for Silicone lube (aerosol) onto the u-joints and drove the 40+ miles to work this morning. It seemed to be better at first but was right back to almost as bad as when I first noticed it (with trailer hooked up) by the time I was pretty close to work.

So, to fix I need to replace the U-joints? Never have done this on this truck. Is it a hard job? I just put all new brakes on so if I have to take the hubs off it shouldnt be too bad I hope.