2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Replacement front door speakers with Infinity system

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 09:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacement front door speakers with Infinity system

I need a new set of speakers for the front doors. My front left side quit working. I know I have the Infinity system that has amps on the front door speakers. Any suggestions on what I should go with? I don't really want to go all aftermarket with an external amp and all. Just something similar to stock that is a bolt in.
Old 05-14-2008, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by JSPulliam21
I need a new set of speakers for the front doors. My front left side quit working. I know I have the Infinity system that has amps on the front door speakers. Any suggestions on what I should go with? I don't really want to go all aftermarket with an external amp and all. Just something similar to stock that is a bolt in.
The amps are between the head unit and the speakers. Speakers are speakers. Pick what you like. Just put new ones in. To get an idea of what will fit go to Crutchfield dot com. If you want a new head unit, then you are going to have to cut out/bypass the amp system.
Old 05-15-2008, 11:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have an 01' with the Infinity system, and also an intermitant left front speaker. I do have a Pioneer radio/CD head unit. I just used a adapter to plug it in. I'm not sure where my problem is, but the LF speaker always plays when I turn the volume up loud. Any ideas?
Old 05-15-2008, 07:22 PM

Got it!. There are two wires coming from the amp that go to the speaker's signal (+) and return (-). All I have to do is attach them to the new speakers, and viola!
Old 05-15-2008, 09:19 PM

I too have the same problems with the left door speaker and was under the opinion that the amp was on the speaker and that they were junk and you cannot get a new one from the dealer. I was told by an installer to take out the factory system and lay it down behind the rear tire and run over it. I have been told by him and read on here that the best bet is to replace the head unit, amps and speakers. He does not sell equipment so it was not in his interest to want me to replace all components.
Just another chapter in the ongoing book on how good these trucks really are. I always would say" At least there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio" but now I no longer can say that.
After I spend some more $$$$$$$$$$$ in the next month or so fixing some other problems I will look into getting the sound back, any info would be great as to what others have done.
Thanks..
Old 05-15-2008, 09:47 PM

I would love to go with all new equipment. Head unit, speakers, tweeters, subs, and an amp. I already have an aftermarket head unit, and I like my speakers. I just wish they all worked.
Old 05-15-2008, 10:01 PM

Seems like a lot of problems with the LEFT front door. Could it be a short in the speaker wire since most of us get in and out of the drivers door more often than the passenger door and the constant opening and closing is breaking the wires down? Just something to think about before spending money you don't have to.
Old 05-16-2008, 03:35 AM

That happened to my 98 cherokee that I had, but I can't seem to find the break like last time. it would work sometimes when opening the door but in this case its harder to find.
Old 05-16-2008, 04:13 PM

I got 4-way Sony Xplod speakers, they have them at Wal Mart too. Great speakers! For a deck, I recommend the Sony GT820IP. Best deck I've ever owned! It's easy to scroll through songs on your iPod, looks good, has nice graphics, and can't beat all the features for the price. Only thing is I don't think it has bluetooth.
Old 05-16-2008, 09:01 PM

Me too. My driver door speaker is out and I need to get some new speakers put in. How many wires are on that wire harness that goes to the speaker? I just can't remember from the last time that I had the door panel off.
Old 05-16-2008, 09:13 PM

I think there's 4. Two for power, two for signal.
Old 05-17-2008, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by kevellis32
Me too. My driver door speaker is out and I need to get some new speakers put in. How many wires are on that wire harness that goes to the speaker? I just can't remember from the last time that I had the door panel off.
Four wires is correct. I just put in new speakers literally 30 minutes ago. Look at this thread, post #21.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...nfinity&page=2

This has a breakdown of the wires. Also it has great instructions for wiring in new speakers with an aftermarket head unit (bypass the amps). If you want to run a stock head unit with aftermarket speakers you'll have to piggy-back the on-speaker amps from the old to the new, but the wiring is obviously much easier (simple transfer of wires).

Of course splicing in as suggested in the post in that thread took me all of 4 minutes... I just got new infinity speakers at Best Buy for $150. That with my HD ready JVC HU, this thing sounds good. Maybe just a small sub in the back and I'll be set.
Old 05-17-2008, 09:04 AM

Yea, I wanna keep my stock head unit until I can find a way to cram a double din dvd/nav system into the dash...SOOO when you say piggy back the on-speaker amps to the new...what exactly do you mean? That thread helps but also ran me in a circle when he was saying cut this off then re-attach this with this and so on. All I really got from that was needing to connect the 3 and 4 wires to the new speaker. Is that all I need to do?
Old 05-17-2008, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by kevellis32
Yea, I wanna keep my stock head unit until I can find a way to cram a double din dvd/nav system into the dash...SOOO when you say piggy back the on-speaker amps to the new...what exactly do you mean? That thread helps but also ran me in a circle when he was saying cut this off then re-attach this with this and so on. All I really got from that was needing to connect the 3 and 4 wires to the new speaker. Is that all I need to do?
Sorry, I should have explained a little better. When I said piggy-back the amps, I mean't you'll have to remove the amps from the old speakers and use them for the new ones. I read another thread somewhere else where a guy said he just zip-tied them on his new speakers. Pictures worth 1000 words:

First pic, here is the old speaker removed, and on my workbench. You can see the amp on it, compared to the new one without.

Second, remove the plastic cover by prying it away from the metal speaker frame. It is held in place by some sticky adhesive.

Third pic, remove the amp itself by taking off the two Torx T-25 screws. Man mine were on tight! Also back the spade terminals off the speaker and your harness and amp should be free of the speaker.

Now the easy part. Simply connect negative (black) to the new speaker negative, and positive to the new speaker positive. the only problem is you dont have a nice bracket to mount the amp too, so attach it any way you see fit. Zipties, super glue, etc...

Then you should be rollin.

Before you do this, someone PLEASE CONFIRM MY INSTRUCTIONS. I actually had an after market HU so I bypassed the amps completely, but I'm 99% sure this is how to do it.
Attached Thumbnails Replacement front door speakers with Infinity system-2008_0517new10009.jpg   Replacement front door speakers with Infinity system-2008_0517new10010.jpg   Replacement front door speakers with Infinity system-2008_0517new10011.jpg   Replacement front door speakers with Infinity system-2008_0517new10012.jpg   Replacement front door speakers with Infinity system-2008_0517new10013.jpg  

Old 05-17-2008, 09:39 AM

Oh and one last thing, I'm pretty sure using this method will still send all high frequencies to the A-pillar tweeter... if you have one. You can bypass the crossover too if needed.

Quick Reply: Replacement front door speakers with Infinity system