2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Replace radiator

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 11:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replace radiator

I just thought I'd put this in for those needing to remove the radiator. I couldn't find anything in the "search" so I thought I post this.

Mine cracked the left tank up near the top. I couldn't find the leak until one day I spotted it at the gas station.

There is no fixing the tanks according to the local radiator shops.

I thought I was in for a massive bill for a new radiator and I would have to have a repair shop do it.

Surprise! I got a new one from Rock Auto for about $150. They have more expensive ones but I thought this would be ok for my usage.

The repair shop wanted $300-400 to do the job which I thought was a bit steep.

So, here is the process.

This is a good time to install a new thermostat too. Also check the belt. I've heard that high mileage 2nd gen can have cracked fan blades so check them when the radiator is out. No need to remove the condenser or oil cooler or inter cooler.

Put some kind of drain pan in position. There is about 5 gallons of coolant depending on how full it was to start. It's going to make a big mess.

Disconnect the grounds from the batteries.

Remove the radiator cap.

I removed the lower hose from the water pump as I couldn't get at the lower hose clamp on the radiator.

Remove the upper hose from the radiator.

Remove the washer tank. Might as well trim the slot in the shroud as it barely fits the tang on the tank. Unplug the pump wire connector and the hose.

Remove the coolant recovery tank. It has a tang and slot too, so open it up just a little so it goes togther easier. Remove the hose to the radiator.

Remove the 4 nuts on top of the radiator that hold the shroud. I think they were 10mm

Lift the shroud until the lower tangs come free. You then can push the shroud back as far as it will go.

Remove the 2 bolts that hold the radiator in place. I used a medium extension and ratchet. I think they were 10mm

Lift the radiator out. It's not very heavy. You have to weasel the lower hose past the battery and shroud. It will make it, just be patient.

Remove the lower hose from the radiator. Note it's position and where the clamp goes.

Toss the old radiator in the scrap pile

Install the lower hose exactly in the same position it was on the old radiator.

Slide the new radiator in. Make sure it locates in the rubber grommets on the frame. Install the 2 bolts at the top.

Replace everything else in more or less the same order removed.

It took me only 2 hours including clean up. If I had taken the lower hose off at the water pump to start instead of messing with trying to get at the clamp on the radiator I probably could have done this in less than 1 1/2 hours.

I put 4 gallons of AF in and almost 2 gallons of water. It's good for -35 F so there must have been some left in the block and heater.

This is a pretty simple R&R. You could do a pressure wash to clean the gunk out of the fins easily. I thought this was a major operation or I would have cleaned my radiator a long time ago. It was packed with crud. I'm surprised it cooled as well as it did. The only difference I see now is that my cruise temp is about a needle width lower closer to 180.

Good luck