2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Need something better

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2016, 11:33 AM

Received 414 Likes on 316 Posts
Need something better

Did the sport light conversion and wiring mods a while back, but still they aren't good enough for Alaska winter driving. They don't put out much light and it's all pointed down and not down the road. Not much in the way of higher wattage bulbs without going straight to over kill on the low beam side. Was thinking of going the HID projector route, but all the projector head lights I found were for standard light bulbs. Wouldn't consider that any help. I'm still not impressed by LEDs either. They don't put out that much light, but still manage to blind on coming traffic. Don't really want to do the auxiliary thing because both high and low need drastic improvements.
Old 12-11-2016, 03:46 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by cougar
Did the sport light conversion and wiring mods a while back, but still they aren't good enough for Alaska winter driving. They don't put out much light and it's all pointed down and not down the road. Not much in the way of higher wattage bulbs without going straight to over kill on the low beam side. Was thinking of going the HID projector route, but all the projector head lights I found were for standard light bulbs. Wouldn't consider that any help. I'm still not impressed by LEDs either. They don't put out that much light, but still manage to blind on coming traffic. Don't really want to do the auxiliary thing because both high and low need drastic improvements.
dot limits head lights to 55 watts, so to get more light go off road lights, each one of my lights are 130 watts, i see good! they are on only on high beam

Name:  P1010193.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  46.8 KB
Old 12-12-2016, 04:13 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Your best bet:

2nd Gen Dodge Ram HID Projector Retrofitted Headlamps
Old 12-13-2016, 05:16 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
I've had very good results with new stock sports headlights, where I used a set of relays to power them correctly instead of with the abysmal stock wiring harness.
Using flosser 80/100W bulbs gives you very good low beams with a good cutoff, and insane 400W of high beams.. without burning up your light switch

It works like this- you put the coil of the relay between the wire for the filament you want to light and the common wire on the stock plug. (So one for low, one for high)
Then you get power directly from the battery to the relay, and from the output of the relay directly to the bulb. Add a ground wire for the bulb back to the battery.
On Peter's truck (97 QC LB 2500 CTD) we got only 11V on the bulb with the stock headlight (you need to measure with the bulb installed) with the engine running, and with the relays we got it to 14.3V - which according to wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halogen_lamp

says that the same bulb puts out 55% less light on the reduced voltage.
Another factor that can rob a lot of light is the yellowing of the plastic headlight lens.
Old 12-13-2016, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by johnh
dot limits head lights to 55 watts, so to get more light go off road lights, each one of my lights are 130 watts, i see good! they are on only on high beam

The low beams need a lot of improvement, so off road lights really isn't my answer.

Originally Posted by BILTIT
OUCH!

Originally Posted by AlpineRAM
I've had very good results with new stock sports headlights, where I used a set of relays to power them correctly instead of with the abysmal stock wiring harness.
Using flosser 80/100W bulbs gives you very good low beams with a good cutoff, and insane 400W of high beams.. without burning up your light switch

It works like this- you put the coil of the relay between the wire for the filament you want to light and the common wire on the stock plug. (So one for low, one for high)
Then you get power directly from the battery to the relay, and from the output of the relay directly to the bulb. Add a ground wire for the bulb back to the battery.
On Peter's truck (97 QC LB 2500 CTD) we got only 11V on the bulb with the stock headlight (you need to measure with the bulb installed) with the engine running, and with the relays we got it to 14.3V - which according to wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halogen_lamp

says that the same bulb puts out 55% less light on the reduced voltage.
Another factor that can rob a lot of light is the yellowing of the plastic headlight lens.
I did the relay mod the same time I did the sport light conversion. Neither helped sufficiently. Do you have any problem with traffic flashing you with those higher watt bulbs?
Old 12-13-2016, 10:57 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
Originally Posted by cougar

I did the relay mod the same time I did the sport light conversion. Neither helped sufficiently. Do you have any problem with traffic flashing you with those higher watt bulbs?
On the low beams no more problems with oncoming traffic than with the stock lights.
(The US beam pattern is very different to the Euro pattern)

Another mod you could consider is making an diy mount for modules like
http://www.hella.com/MicroSite/soe/s...erformance.pdf

and putting a clear lexan plate in front of them, so you retain the stock silhuette on the outsidde

Installation instructions for the led version:
http://www.myhellalights.com/files/6...structions.pdf
Old 12-13-2016, 01:20 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I am running the same sport lights with Led both high and low. They are a three sided led they are wired so low beam is on one and high run both. i made the option and wired the second low beam if i want to use it later. I have DRL in my truck the only problem i have is that they use a low wattage on the DRL on the high beam side as the led do not take a lot of voltage to run my high beams are on all the time so i just turn my lights on when i get into my truck and they work very well
Old 12-13-2016, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by AlpineRAM
On the low beams no more problems with oncoming traffic than with the stock lights.
(The US beam pattern is very different to the Euro pattern)

Another mod you could consider is making an diy mount for modules like
http://www.hella.com/MicroSite/soe/s...erformance.pdf

and putting a clear lexan plate in front of them, so you retain the stock silhuette on the outsidde

Installation instructions for the led version:
http://www.myhellalights.com/files/6...structions.pdf
I'll have to have my wife read that to me, she speaks German.

Originally Posted by Dieselbuilder
I am running the same sport lights with Led both high and low. They are a three sided led they are wired so low beam is on one and high run both. i made the option and wired the second low beam if i want to use it later. I have DRL in my truck the only problem i have is that they use a low wattage on the DRL on the high beam side as the led do not take a lot of voltage to run my high beams are on all the time so i just turn my lights on when i get into my truck and they work very well
I have mine wired 4L or 4H. Need to pressure one of these sales jokers around here into letting me "test" some LED's.
Old 12-14-2016, 09:54 AM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Dieselbuilder
Did you just forget about the DRL module altogether? The drl wire the high beams in series to lower the voltage, perhaps using the key to turn on the low beam relay would be a better option with the LED's and give a brighter DRL.