2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

HELP!Wheel stuck

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2016, 03:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP!Wheel stuck

OK so recently I've had some brae issues where the brake light & abs would come on & then no brakes but only while in park.I've noticed that both of the wheels were getting hot so figured stuck caliper was going to do the brakes today.Then while on the way home to work I heard a bad squealing on pass side wheel next thing I know that wheel locked up.Took the caliper off still could barley move it.
Seems as if I move the hub/rotor backwards it moves easier.Both wheel's in the front look like this /\ pass side being worse.I have recently replaced tie rods,track bar ,steering stabilizer etc.So I figured that was just because I needed an alignment.Mt other Cummins is still down so I need to fix this.The big nut that holds everything on there looks like it's been pulled back in some by the way it looks behind the nut.I will try to post a pic .I'm worried it's something in the axle.Any suggestions? There was metal shavings on the top of the caliper cannot tell where it came from?Last nite while trying to pull out of a tight spot it felt like I had no power steering.Any help would be great appreciated thanks.
Old 12-03-2016, 04:53 PM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Hub bearing took a dump, most likely. Or your ball joints are really bad, with the wheels off the ground see where there is any play. Just up and down would be ball joints, as all directions would be hub bearing.

Hub bearing is bolted into the steering knuckle 4 x 9/16 12 pt. bolts through the back. Do a search on complete procedure of changing them if they're bad.

If the axle nut loosened up because of no cotter pin the bearing self destructs and needs replacing.

Check brake fluid level also.
The following users liked this post:
samaf (12-03-2016)
Old 12-03-2016, 04:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gorms
Hub bearing took a dump, most likely. Or your ball joints are really bad, with the wheels off the ground see where there is any play. Just up and down would be ball joints, as all directions would be hub bearing.

Hub bearing is bolted into the steering knuckle 4 x 9/16 12 pt. bolts through the back. Do a search on complete procedure of changing them if they're bad.

If the axle nut loosened up because of no cotter pin the bearing self destructs and needs replacing.

Check brake fluid level also.
Thanks,I took the wheel off & I belive it's the hub bearing like you said, I've changed these out on my 99 but can't get the bolts in the back to loose just twisted the end of my extension off.I'll let it soak in pb blaster.What I thought I saw benind the nut ended up being a washer.
Old 12-03-2016, 05:05 PM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Heat will be your friend on this one
Old 12-04-2016, 06:58 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Try to find some Kroil. Works a lot better than PB Blaster.
Old 12-04-2016, 08:46 AM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by cutthroatxxx
OK so recently I've had some brae issues where the brake light & abs would come on & then no brakes but only while in park.I've noticed that both of the wheels were getting hot so figured stuck caliper was going to do the brakes today.Then while on the way home to work I heard a bad squealing on pass side wheel next thing I know that wheel locked up.Took the caliper off still could barley move it.
Seems as if I move the hub/rotor backwards it moves easier.Both wheel's in the front look like this /\ pass side being worse.I have recently replaced tie rods,track bar ,steering stabilizer etc.So I figured that was just because I needed an alignment.Mt other Cummins is still down so I need to fix this.The big nut that holds everything on there looks like it's been pulled back in some by the way it looks behind the nut.I will try to post a pic .I'm worried it's something in the axle.Any suggestions? There was metal shavings on the top of the caliper cannot tell where it came from?Last nite while trying to pull out of a tight spot it felt like I had no power steering.Any help would be great appreciated thanks.
what kind and what year is the vehicle?you know, all that stuff