2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

HELP!! 40 below - door won't close!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 01:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP!! 40 below - door won't close!!

OK, well I got the old gal to work this morning (-55 C with the windchill) and now I can't close the driver's side door. The door latch appears to have completely reversed inside it's housing, so when it hits the bar in the door frame, it just stops. I've been trying to turn it or something, but can't seem to get it where it needs to be.

(I hope this makes sense - I'm trying real hard not be be a "girlie-girl" and say "the thingy inside the thingy"....)

Right now, it's sitting in the parking lot with the door open and interior lights on. I had to come inside - my fingers were too frozen to even pull the fuse to shut off the lights....

If anyone has any ideas how to get this latch turned so that the door will close, or how to shut off the interior lights without pulling a fuse, I'd GREATLY appreciate it.

Thanks!
M.F.
Old 01-29-2008, 01:09 PM

um i dont know if you have tried this....but sometimes if the latch part on the door gets pushed up into the door u can pull the doorhandle like you are opening to door and it will flip the latch back out, because essentially when the latch gets pushed into the door it is just doing what it would do if the door was shut if this makes any sense so just try to pull the handle and see if the latch open back up and you can try and pull it out while holding the doorhandle open and see if it works..... i know htis is a stupid answer but its happened to me before and this is what i've done on my mother's armada cuz i couldnt figure out what was going on
Old 01-29-2008, 01:09 PM
Banned

I know its not safe-but can you drive to the local car wash where you can work on it in peace & warmth. the latch is probably just stuck & a little heat & grease will free it....I hope.

good luck....sorry for the lack of answers.
Old 01-29-2008, 01:14 PM

as far as the interior lights go if you just roll your dash dimmer all the way to the bottom it should turn off the interior lights.....
Old 01-29-2008, 01:47 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Unless it's hung up or froze, if you pull the handle/push the button while taking a screwdriver and pushing the latch down, it should do the truck. Make sure the door ain't locked.
Old 01-29-2008, 01:50 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Agreed with the above response........pull the handle to open the door ( I know it's already open! ) and put a pen or small screwdriver in the "thingy the holds the door shut" ( you can recognize that thingy by the hole that forms once shut. When open it has a slot ) and push it back open, or away from the door, towards the cab. Happened to my 2nd gen all the time......seat belt had something to do with it too! Always getting stuck in the door!
Old 01-29-2008, 05:25 PM

Oh, you guys are AMAZING!!! With your help, I've managed to get it rolled over enough that it is now in the "open" position, and the door will at least close. It's so gummed up in there it won't actually latch yet, but at least I can get it home, put it in the shop and warm it up to get it clean (as long as I don't lean against the door on the way home and fall out!!! LOL)

For what it's worth, rolling the dimmer switch didn't turn of the interior lights... but that may be because I've got my high beam indicator relay bypassed???

Anyway, THANKS so much!
M.F.