2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

HELP 2001 cab change

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 09:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation HELP 2001 cab change

i just bought an 01 cummins, the guy i bought it from lied and said it was an original 24v switched to a low mileage 12v, the title matches the body, but i looked the numbers up and this truck was original a 360 gasser. i need to buy a parts truck with a good cab and matching title, how hard will it be to replace the cab? the truck itself is in great condition, it just cannot be registered. the engine and tranny are from a 95, they also replaced the dash with a 95, is it worth it? i figured id put the interior thats in it now in the new cab. ive never replaced a cab so how hard would it be? what are my steps? i have the equipment to do it, forklift etc, im not sure if i should replace the cab on this truck or put the drivetrain in annother truck.
Old 05-23-2012, 12:08 PM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by nateboyd17
i just bought an 01 cummins, the guy i bought it from lied and said it was an original 24v switched to a low mileage 12v, the title matches the body, but i looked the numbers up and this truck was original a 360 gasser. i need to buy a parts truck with a good cab and matching title, how hard will it be to replace the cab? the truck itself is in great condition, it just cannot be registered. the engine and tranny are from a 95, they also replaced the dash with a 95, is it worth it? i figured id put the interior thats in it now in the new cab. ive never replaced a cab so how hard would it be? what are my steps? i have the equipment to do it, forklift etc, im not sure if i should replace the cab on this truck or put the drivetrain in annother truck.
Something isn't right, if they put the dash from the 95 in, it should have the 95 Vin, as it is attached to the dash pad.

Actually all you "need" to do is get a rusty 95 Body/title with a diesel and change out the dash, I doubt they would go any further looking for vins.

You say the title matches the VIN tag on the dash?
Old 05-23-2012, 03:01 PM

the vin is on the metal dash (attached to the cab itself) not the dash pad. but there is another vin on the driver door jam (same as the one by the dash) which the title matches. only problem is the title says "8 cyl" meaning it was originally a gasser. i think i'm going to buy a cab with a clean title and replace my cab.
Old 05-23-2012, 05:23 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by nateboyd17
the vin is on the metal dash (attached to the cab itself) not the dash pad. but there is another vin on the driver door jam (same as the one by the dash) which the title matches. only problem is the title says "8 cyl" meaning it was originally a gasser. i think i'm going to buy a cab with a clean title and replace my cab.
Trust me, it only looks like it is attached to the cab. They are riveted to the plastic dash pad that comes off with the bolts along the top and then the 2 at the bottom sides. Sounds like they got lazy and at least in this state, they would peg you in a heartbeat if that tag didn't match the title. The sticker on the door can be scraped off and the jam repainted if your cab is clean now. [It would be a whole lot easier than changing a cab.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:16 PM

the tag on the dash is definitely mounted to the metal, and it matches the title as well as the door jam numbers i just looked at it. my good friend inspects vehicles, he told me today that switching tags is considered fraud and can result in fines and impound, ive found a decent parts truck, everything is there except the engine and tranny and bed, im looking at it next week, and ill either make a good truck out of the two of them, or just put that cab on my truck. my headaches have gotten much bigger these last few days, but it should all work out...
Old 05-23-2012, 09:19 PM

does anyone know if a 1994 cab will fit on my 2001? im not yet sure if the parts truck is 4x4 or 2x4, mine is 4x4...
Old 05-24-2012, 07:53 AM
Administrator

Ok, if it is attached to the metal, then a previous owner has done it, making it that much more of a problem.

94 Cab will bolt on fine, parts books show no difference in floorpan between 4X4/2X4, Gas or Diesel.