2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

frost plug / freeze plug replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 05:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
frost plug / freeze plug replacement

I have three freeze plugs on the passenger side of my engine. The middle of the three was leaking. In order to get to it, I had to remove my air filter, turbo charger assembly, and auto transmission water to oil cooler. I replaced the plug this morning, but the new plug continues to leak. I didn't have any sealant, and didn't know if I should use any to begin with. Should I have used a sealant on the freeze plug?

By the way, my block heater does not take the place of a freeze plug. It threads into the side of the block. Rather interesting actually.

The high temperature for today was a whopping 14°F so I replaced the freeze plug from the comforts of the garage. My plastic breather tube cracked and broke off, so I was able to replace that today too. The heater wasn't blowing cold air, so after wrenching in the garage, I removed the hoses to the heater core, inserted 5/8" barb fitting to female hose thread adapters in, and flushed the heater core back and forth until it was clear and had plenty of flow. I took the truck on a test run and the heater is so hot it practically burns my hand when sticking it in front of the floor registers. So, all was not lost today.

As long as the freeze plug doesn't severely leak, maybe I'll wait until Spring to remove all those goodies to get to the freeze plug. Perhaps I should replace the other two for good measure. That is, as long as I find out what I need to seal the new plugs with. Advice?

Roy
Old 01-01-2008, 06:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had a shop do the machine work on an old ford 300 inline 6 awhile back. They used permatex #1 on the freeze plugs. I have heard people have good luck with this:

http://www.permatex.com/brand_right_stuff.htm

Heres just a couple links I found about freeze plugs that might be helpful. Good luck, KD

http://www.valvoline.com/carcare/art...cid=2&scccid=3

http://www.autozone.com/az/cds/en_us...rInfoPages.htm
Old 11-23-2016, 10:27 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Where's the best place to get that rubber hose from mines leaking from there. And I think it's the hose
Old 11-25-2016, 11:48 AM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
Napa has a good supply of the pre bent hoses.