2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Fob programming

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2004, 04:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fob programming

Does anyone know how to program a new fob to work with my truck? I read the tech facts on this subject but, the way i understood it was that you had to already have a fob for your truck to program a second one. I do not have a fob at all.. I know I can take it to the dealer and have this done but I would rather just by the fob there and do it myself if possible. Any help would be great because my wife is not too hip on digging for the keys with 2 small kids in her arms.. thanks
Old 07-10-2004, 07:13 AM

The programming procedure was taken directly from the service manual. I submitted it myself last year. Is the fob missing from your vehicle? Can you elaborate a little more?
Old 07-10-2004, 07:40 AM

Okay, burning question here as well. What does FOB stand for??

Matt
Old 07-10-2004, 09:02 AM

Originally posted by gsdog1
Okay, burning question here as well. What does FOB stand for??

Matt
It's actually a word rather than an acronym (i.e. RADAR, snafu, NATO)

Function: noun
Etymology: perhaps akin to German dialect Fuppe pocket
1 : WATCH POCKET
2 : a short strap, ribbon, or chain attached especially to a pocket watch
3 : an ornament attached to a fob chain
Old 07-10-2004, 09:25 AM

Wow! Wasn't expecting such detail! Thanks!

Matt
Old 07-10-2004, 10:38 PM

I never actually had the fobs to begin with. So every time we unlock the truck we have to use the key. I bought it with no fob. my wife really dislikes not having one. This is actually her truck. she wanted a diesel, not an suv or mini van, a big ol' diesel to haul the kids around. so, since she did'nt sentence me to driving the family around in a " brady mobile" I should atleast make it easy for her to get in and out of.. thanks
Old 07-11-2004, 02:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My dealer had a whole box of used fobs. He gave me one, but then found the original to the truck, so I didn't need the other one. I was told that the SLT is wired and ready for one, but all fobs needed to be programmed at the same time. Check with your dealer to see if they have any old ones lying around, and follow the programming procedure in the manual, or off the FAQ section. Good luck, and congrats on the diesel loving wife!! Mine was a bit concerned about my getting a "truck with hips," but she really seems to like it now. My sons think it is awesome, but my 4 year old was terrified when we went for a test drive. The dealer started it without warning (and before I could inspect under the hood :MAD: ), and that sweet diesel rattle near scared my boy to death! He has since fallen in love with "Daddy's big truck!"
Old 07-11-2004, 07:53 PM

If you have existing working fobs, and want to add a spare, do you need to reprogram all of the fobs or just the new spare? The inlaws sold a dakota with the same fob as mine, and gave me theres and I would like to program it to my truck as a spare.
Old 07-11-2004, 08:00 PM
JKM

alrighty people , i still don't know what a fob is , even after the explanation up there... some.

i am a newbie , tryin to learn here , thanx!
Old 07-11-2004, 08:17 PM
Administrator

Originally posted by kcastun
alrighty people , i still don't know what a fob is , even after the explanation up there... some.

i am a newbie , tryin to learn here , thanx!
Keyless entry doohickie.

Lock and unlock buttons, panic button, doubles as a keychain.

phox
Old 07-11-2004, 08:21 PM

Well put Phox. Is a small, "8" shaped black key ring doohickie like stated above. My 1999 minivan has two, but I only got one with my truck (used). I see Dodge sells them for around $20.00 new?? I thought about asking that dealer for another one, but after the service I got there when buying the truck, I will not set foot in the place again.
Old 07-11-2004, 11:28 PM

Zulu,
I'm still confused, So what you are saying is that I will in fact have to have my dealer program the fob for me since I don't have one at all right now? the way i read the FAQ answer to "how to program a fob" was that I would in fact need atleast one fob to begin with. I have none right now and want to know if i can simply buy one and program it myself with out paying the $160.00 for them to take 2 minutes to do it. Thanks...sorry for the confusion.
Old 07-12-2004, 06:35 AM

I guess if I said "the peanut shaped doohickie", eveyone would have understood. cesnick, you need to have the keyless entry option in the truck in order to use the thingy. When you enter the programming mode, you must have all the remotes with you. Each one is programmed into the truck. If you leave one out, it won't work. You have to do the procedure all over again. I have 3 for mine, and I think the max is 5. My wife keeps one in her handbag in case of emergencies. If you try the programming method, don't forget to put your seat belt on. That one always gave me a , but it's to prevent the dinger from dinging.
Old 07-12-2004, 11:27 PM

Commatoze,

I guess a better way to ask the question would be, Can I go buy 2 unprogrammed fobs and program them both without having one functional (programmed) fob already? I do have the keyless entry option in the truck I just don't any fobs at all. This is somehow getting confusing...lol...
Old 07-13-2004, 05:09 PM
JKM

Originally posted by phox_mulder
Keyless entry doohickie.

Lock and unlock buttons, panic button, doubles as a keychain.

phox
so will these work on any slt or must it have the remote entry option , and how do i know if i have that?

I have a 97 slt laramie 2wd , 5 speed .

Quick Reply: Fob programming