2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

First impressions of Redhead steering box

Old 05-29-2009, 10:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First impressions of Redhead steering box

I rebuilt my front end in my 02 this winter, with 63k on the clock I guess all the mud, water, ruts, and road salt took it's toll. After replacing the track bar, tie rods, and ball joints, the front end was still a bit loose. The factory steering box had some play in it, I adjusted the box but it was starting to leak and I could see a bunch of movement in the sector shaft so I knew the clock was ticking. I researched my options for a quality box. PSC is not making 2nd gen boxes, most OEM rebuilds are a crap shoot( they mostly just re-seal ), AGR still offers boxes but I didn't need ports for a auxiliary ram. After reading about Redhead I called and talked to them. Redhead sounded like they build a quality box, machined for roller bearings on the sector shaft, custom sized roller ***** for a tight fit, etc. After talking to them I ordered a box and had it in on my door in two days.

My first impression were wow, this thing drives like new, maybe better. I must have had a lot of internal leakage in the stock box because the hydro assist for the brakes is much better, it brakes like a 1 ton now . I'm, going to install a steering brace next, the person I talked to at Redhead said the long pitman arm puts a lot of load on these boxes and the brace will help make the new box live a little longer. Even though the box is bit more spendy than a cheap rebuild ($275 + shipping vs $170 for a rebuild at the parts store) I'd have to say it's worth it. I didn't realize how crappy my steering had become until know
Old 05-30-2009, 05:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Update, the power steering pump front seal blew out after 25 miles . I'm not sure if there was some debris in the new gear box, or the seal was weak and the increased pressure with the new gear box was too much for it. Now I have a new pump and a new seal in the vacuum pump for good measure. I was running synthetic but it's no longer available locally, so I put in regular stuff( honda certified, must have a additive ??) I hope this is the last repair for a while, for a truck with 63k on it it's getting old quick.
Old 05-31-2009, 12:19 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
I feel yer pain! My truck got a total rebuild on the front end around 70K....tie rod ends, ball joints, Thuren trac bar, reversed pitman arm for the 2" levelling kit and new shocks. Fortuntely my box was still tight. I added a DSS a couple months ago and it made a slight difference. I'm going to go with a Borgenson shaft next and call it good.

I initially thought it may be the box but it is still tight...go figure. Sounds like the seal blew from increased pressure to me. Good luck

Kurt