2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Electrical question

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 10:28 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
Electrical question

Here's the deal:

I recently added two auxilary back up lights to my truck and tapped into the back up lights in the tail lights temporarily to see if they helped any. They were kinda dim so I ran a new lead to them and hooked them up to a fused relay under the hood.

I've got a fused link running to the relay, the relay is grounded to the body. The load leg is hooked to the wire leading to the back up lights 20 feet to the rear. I used 14 ga wire.

I tapped into the wire leading from the back up light switch on my trans: One always hot with the ignition on purple wire with black tracer and one black wire with green tracer.

I tapped into the black w/green as the switch leg. Is this correct? I keep blowing the fuse when all is hooked up at insertion.

What did I do wrong?

Thanks, Kurt
Old 07-28-2010, 10:57 PM
SWC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Kurt, couple questions;
1 The fuse that blows is that the on the fuse link you added?
2 Your relay should have some numbers on it, which # does the fuse link go to and all the others.
One possibility is that the relay is bad. Wouldn't be the first time.
Stan
Old 07-28-2010, 11:22 PM

The fuse is a pre wire link to the #30 on the relay. Its in line off the battery.

The load is #87, The Batttery #85 and the ground #84. I have the switch leg attached to the other one I think....
Old 07-28-2010, 11:57 PM
SWC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Kurt, you say #85 is Battery. In your first post you mentioned you hooked into the black with green trace. That should go to #85. I suspect that is what you meant. If #85 is hooked to the battery that still should not blow the fuse link if I am thinking correctly. (It is time for my beauty sleep.) If the fuse blows quickly it sounds more like a short somewhere.
Just read your second post again, what do you mean "I have the switch leg attached to the other one ..."
I can check my shop manual tomorrow about the wire color if you are not certain about which is the right wire. The only thing if you have the wrong wire is the aux back up lights would stay on all the time.
Hope this helps. If not keep asking someone will have the right answer.
Stan
Old 07-29-2010, 12:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would use a regular 30 amp automotive relay. Hook terminal 86 to ground along with the backup lights' ground. Hook terminal 85 to the (+) back up light wire on your truck (signal wire). Hook terminal 30 straight to the (+) battery terminal w/ a fuse. Finally, hook terminal 87 to your (+) auxillary backup lights.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:49 PM

Thanks guys. The back up lights are grounded at the mount. I have everything else hooked up as suggested but am still blowing the fuse at time of connection.

What amp fuse should I run once I get this figured out?

Thanks for the help, Kurt
Old 07-30-2010, 11:24 AM

SWC, I have looked in my shop manual but cannot find the circuitry for the back up lights off the NV5600 switch. However, the green is ignition on hot and the black with purlpetracer is hot when put in reverse, si it is just like a regular light switch. This triggers the relay at the switch terminal, however the relay will blow the fuse when I connect it to the battery.

I will trace the wire for a short this weekend.

I am wondering if I am seeing this correctly re: geting power to the relay off the factory lead....
Old 09-02-2010, 10:51 AM

Well guys here's an update. After checking everything I come to find out I've got a bad relay. The entire thing was a dead short! Xiang Xhu needs to go back to soldering 101.

A new relay and everything works fine, Thanks for all the help!
Old 09-02-2010, 06:20 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Any more the first place I look when there is an electrical problem is for any new components.
Seems like if they aren't bad out of the box that they will be shortly.
Old 09-05-2010, 03:26 PM

One friend told me he rarely, if ever, has gotten a bad relay, the other says he gets them all the time....go figure.
Old 09-06-2010, 09:16 AM

Did the same thing with some clear fog lights, makes a world of difference seeing.

However, to avoid having the long run for 12V from the battery back to the rear bumper I simply tapped the heavy B+ line at the trailer lights outlet... then a single small gauge wire from the factory reverse lights for triggering the relay. No need for a heavy gauge wire to overcome the voltage drop to power the lamps from the battery, and no unsightly wires running from the front of the truck, nice and tidy, and the lights come on anytime the truck is in reverse.

Just a thought.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:48 PM

Dakar, my electrician suggested that after I had everything up and running!

Duh, I should've thought of that, Good idea!
Old 09-07-2010, 08:03 AM

IMO that makes your 'lectrician a pretty smart fella .

A quick project for next time you are under the truck.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:16 AM

Big difference in quality of relays, I only use Bosh relays.

Floyd
Old 09-08-2010, 04:52 PM

Dakar, I'll let him know he's got a twin brother!

Blackimpala, I used the Napa part and thought I could trust it. They did thro in a new box of fuses for the 6 I blew messing with it!

Quick Reply: Electrical question