2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Drivers side sits lower than passanger side?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 12:37 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Drivers side sits lower than passanger side?

Its rare that I park on good leval concrete but today I pullled up on my friends new driveway and he instantly saw something wrong (he works with a lazer transit digging foundations) and sure enough, he was right. measured from the fender to the concrete the front drivers side sits .75" lower than the passanger and the drivers rear sits 1.25" lower than the passanger rear..... I have no idea what to check out, springs or frame or?
Other strange issues:
1. Cross member has a huge bent part, like somone used a ten foot long can-opener on part of it and bent the thin part strait down and back under itself.
2. Truck makes a pop sound when the transmission shifts and on uneven pavement at slow speeds, can also be felt like someone is hitting the truck under the drivers seat with a hammer
3. Truck handles ok, but feels like I have a flat tire on high speed turns, doesnt hold a line well
Old 03-20-2012, 11:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Could be your rear spring not being attached to that "thing" I donīt know what is called, but when it breaks it lets your spring go up to the bed.
Thatīll explain that diff. in height and it will make a sound banging up and down now that its not attached, just resting on.
Check that rear spring, behind the wheel, thatīs where mine broke... and did just like you say yours do.

Slev
Old 03-20-2012, 11:38 AM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
Which crossmember?

Is it a 4X4?

After a lot of miles and only a driver and his load, which often ends up on the drivers side, the springs will tire out and begin to sag.

But if you are having steering and turning issues, I would get under there and check it out or have a good shop check it out before you have something go really wrong.
Old 03-20-2012, 12:39 PM

Its pooring rain right now, but I took a quick look at the rear leaf and they do not look the same, the passanger side (the higher one) has the very bottom short leaf spread apart away from the other leaf's and the drivers side the bottom short leaf is touching the other leafs. I will take a closer look when the weather clears up.
It is the transfer case cross memeber.
Could the rear leave that gave up effect the front?
Old 03-20-2012, 01:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The rear leaf going out would tilt the entire truck, thatīs what mine did.
But Iīd like to know what happened to that crossmember???
Did you hit a rock??

Slev
Old 03-21-2012, 12:34 AM

So where do I buy just one leaf with the same rates as the passanger side?- think a salvage yard find woud work?

As for the cross member, I am the 4th owner so all I can do is guess- But it had to be hit HARD as Its bent worse than my other friends 1999 ctd after he missed a turn and drove over a small cliff with vw sized bolders and into a river, found himself in headlight deep water- then drove up the river in 4wd to a boat ramp then drove it home.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:29 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by joem
So where do I buy just one leaf with the same rates as the passanger side?- think a salvage yard find woud work?
Don't, buy a pair, either new or used, hopefully on a truck that had the originals.

Springs don't last forever, and to have one side newer or older than another only invites buying another single,and another......
Old 04-10-2012, 12:14 AM

what is a good aftermarket spring to pick up? I think I will buy a pair and cough up the $$. now the question is should i get 2500 or 3500 springs to use on my Dana 70 axle? Everyone says the Dana 70 is super tough... but I broke 3 pinion teeth off of my old one with stock horsepower automatic