2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Wanted roll cage 2001 extended cab

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2020, 10:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wanted roll cage 2001 extended cab

Hello all

Anyone know of any roll cages that can be bought for these trucks to fit inside without breaking the bank?

ive considered buying my own tube bender and giving it a shot.
ive checked just about all of the roll cage sellers from amazon to summit and so on and none of them can give me any photos as to how the main bar will fit.

anyone know of anyone with a tube bender in the Dallas / Plano Texas area?
I can fab up most everything else.

i already know how I want the main bar to be placed.

thanks
in advance

Rip Forrest.

Last edited by golfpro1; 01-16-2020 at 10:12 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 01-17-2020, 11:00 AM

Received 89 Likes on 84 Posts
There are undoubtedly race-car/street rod fab shops in your area that will have a tube bender. Call some up and see if they can bend it from a drawing with measurements. Since you are thinking about buying your own - there are some on the market that are targeted toward the individual. I was going to suggest LowBuckTools (started by a racer and aimed towards racers), but they don't show benders on their site. If you can find CircleTrack Magazine or Speedway Illustrated (I don't know if either is still published), check the ads. Check Lone Star Speedzone's classified forum, also RacingJunk.com, craigslist, etc. CSC Racing (formerly Canadian Stock Car Products) use to offer basic roll cage kits for stock cars - maybe they have something.

Are you referring to the main hoop that will go vertically behind the driver and that almost all else mounts to? What are you trying to build, and how extensive of a cage/structure?
Old 01-18-2020, 12:42 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
I don't specifically remember very many 2nd gen desert trucks out there so finding a cage layout may be tough. Muffler shops usually have good benders that can accommodate different pipe sizes and thickness. Maybe find a local non-national chain one and inquire...
Old 01-20-2020, 10:40 AM

My understanding is that muffler-tube benders don't do a proper job on roll-cage tubing - I wish I could point to specific articles, but they were in the racing mags years ago. I believe it has something to do with the mandrels/dies - that the exhaust-style basically crimps the inside radius on the cage tubing. This thread and this thread (note post #3 re. wall thickness) discuss it a little, also makes mention of some benders. This site has a bit of info on different types of benders - including what exhaust benders do.

Check Speedway Motors, JD Squared

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/fo.../131596/page1/

Old 01-20-2020, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by texasprd
My understanding is that muffler-tube benders don't do a proper job on roll-cage tubing - I wish I could point to specific articles, but they were in the racing mags years ago. I believe it has something to do with the mandrels/dies - that the exhaust-style basically crimps the inside radius on the cage tubing. This thread and this thread (note post #3 re. wall thickness) discuss it a little, also makes mention of some benders. This site has a bit of info on different types of benders - including what exhaust benders do.

Check Speedway Motors, JD Squared

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/fo.../131596/page1/
I hear you on the non mandrel types. We had a few shops in SoCal that could bend up anything and would make you a pile if you had a good cut sheet....with all the refineries and such in TX there should be someone that can do it.....

Don't forget to birdsmouth all the ends for a strong cage!!
Old 01-20-2020, 05:12 PM

Short of buying his own bender, I believe that finding a local chassis fab shop is the OP's best bet.

Here are some possibilities:
North Texas Rod & Custom
Hansen Race Cars (on FB, and I'm not on FB - so don't know about location/services)
James B
Multiple shops mentioned

I have no connection with any of these businesses - just trying to help a fellow member out. Also, check the local drag/stock car tracks and see who does fabrication locally.
Old 01-22-2020, 11:29 AM

Maybe tech school or High School trade shop??