2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Dodge Ram 2500 vacuum/HVAC problem!

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2016, 02:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dodge Ram 2500 vacuum/HVAC problem!

So I'm hopeing someone can give me some help or steps on the easiest way to fix this problem.. So my issue is with the vacuum line that T's off on the driver side and runs across the fire wall to the passenger side of town he truck in the engine compartment and then has a 90degree elbow that I'm assuming sends it through the firewall (possibly where the ac lines run through) then guessing it plugs in to the vent actuator to open and close the vents.. Now all my front vents worked fine before this issue, I took my truck in to get a crack fixed in the exhaust and when I was heading home after work that day I turned the air on like I do everyday and no more air out the front vents it was only blowing out the defrost and floor. So when I got home I popped the hood and started looking around and found that one vacuum line just flopping around all over.. So can anyone help me out in anyway as far as where this line goes and the easiest way to get it back to where it belongs to get the vents working again.. Thanks.

Old 06-18-2016, 02:06 PM

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts
Pull off the hood seal on the cowl and you should see the vacuum line running across with other wires. You may just see the other end laying up under there too.
Old 06-18-2016, 04:28 PM

Hey thanks I appreciate you replying to my post, hopefully we can get this figured out. so I pulled the hood seal off and looked all over and I can't find anything, I even opened up and looked in the wiring harness running across the fire wall and felt around all over behind the sound proof foam against the firewall and still can't seem to find anything.. The vacuum line in my hand in the pic is possibly what your talking about, it's long enough to run from the driver side to the passenger side along fire wall up behind the hood seal, it T's off from the driver side and runs maybe like 1/4od size vacuum line across then 90's down to a very small black vacuum line and that's where it's broken and melted down.. I can't seem to find any loose lines or anything that even looks like the other end anywhere. Maybe I'm not looking in the right spot of the engine compartment or something. Looking for where that small black vacuum line might run after 90degree fitting?
Old 06-18-2016, 04:52 PM

OK, from the vacuum pump located on the drivers side of the engine down by the wheel well, there is a larger rubber hose that comes off the pump and runs up to a smaller rubber line up under the hood seal. From there you should find various "T" fittings which incorporate other plastic and/or small rubber vacuum lines. The main small vacuum line should run under the hood seal across the firewall and come out over by the exhaust.

I have a 90* like the one in your picture which runs from the hood seal area down into the firewall.

If you cant find any plastic/rubber vacuum lines where I've stated then I dont know what to tell you since they're not hidden and are pretty obvious.
Old 06-18-2016, 05:24 PM

Ya that's what I'm looking for is where that vacuum line goes into the firewall on the passenger side.all the other vacuum lines are hooked up correctly on the driver side of the truck it's just the line that runs to the passenger side with that 90degree fitting..I'm thinking when the exhaust work was done the guy somehow Pulled the line out from the fire wall and by the time I got home most of the small line was melted off and gone.. And there's no obvious vacuum lines sticking out of the firewall that I can see although I don't know exactly where it goes in at eaither. I'm thinking the whole line got pulled out of the fire wall which probably means Im goona have to get behind the dash Board then which I was trying to avoid. But ya if you could let me know where your line goes in the fire wall on the passenger side that would be a good start for me to look A little closer
Old 06-18-2016, 07:54 PM

This is where mine goes into the firewall for the HVAC. Not that this is just above the exhaust. I included a vacuum line schematic just for reference too.

Name:  Vacuum%20line_zpszyipswtc.jpg
Views: 9769
Size:  308.4 KB

Name:  VacuumDiagram-1_zpssooixmap.jpg
Views: 12078
Size:  37.4 KB
Old 06-18-2016, 08:23 PM

Thanks for the picture that's what I needed to see. That's right where I thought the line ran in and ya there's nothing there. I guess I'm getting in to the dash to reconnect this thing. Unless someone has a better idea..
Old 02-15-2017, 09:46 PM

i used some fuel line for a weed eater just slide it on the broken ends bam good as new