2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Cab/frame differences

Old 12-01-2016, 10:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cab/frame differences

Are all single cab, cabs from 1994-2002 the same? As far as frames, are all the 135" wheelbase(regular cab dually) frames the same from 2WD/4WD?

Got a 1998 C&C 138" wheelbase, 2WD, weighing my options on possibly swapping the cab onto a 135" wheelbase frame. Just looking to get some basic knowledge on cab and frame differneces. Thanks.
Old 12-02-2016, 07:50 AM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
If I remember right, the C&C frames are more flat after the cab then the standard frames. They may even be just a bit narrower after the cab. And as you have seen, wheelbase differs. The cab should swap over w/o a problem as far as cab mounts.
Old 12-02-2016, 01:35 PM
Banned

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts
The frames had several changes in 1998 mostly in the front half. The c&c frames are completely different from the standard trucks that came with a pickup box.
Old 12-02-2016, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by deere country
The frames had several changes in 1998 mostly in the front half. The c&c frames are completely different from the standard trucks that came with a pickup box.
Right. Basically what I'm wondering is if the cab will fit onto a regular cab dually frame, no problem. Also if the front end can be swapped over to a regular cab dually frame.
Old 12-03-2016, 07:46 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
I would think everything would line up with the fenders and cab lengths for reg cabs since they stayed the same from 94-02 for 2nd gens....regarding cab mounts, bumpers etc ..
Old 12-03-2016, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by SIXSLUG
I would think everything would line up with the fenders and cab lengths for reg cabs since they stayed the same from 94-02 for 2nd gens....regarding cab mounts, bumpers etc ..
Okay. So it should mount just fine to a regular cab frame, any other problems that could occur as far the interior/components mounted on the firewall etc?
Old 12-04-2016, 04:22 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
Sounds like a good question for patdaly or dieselworks...
Old 12-04-2016, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by SIXSLUG
Sounds like a good question for patdaly or dieselworks...
Who?
Old 12-04-2016, 09:47 PM
Banned

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts
You could help by giving a better description. You didn't specify the year of the second chassis you talked about. What is it exactly that you are wanting to do?
Old 12-05-2016, 10:30 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Ok, here goes.

While it looks like the frame dimensions are slightly different between the 135 and the 138" WB ( standard to CC ), the parts book doesn't show any difference in the cab floors where the body mounts are. They do show an adapter frame to body that I don't remember on any of mine, so could that be how they adapt the CC frame to a standard cab?

Anyway, here are the dimensions of the various frames.

Cab/frame differences-97-frame-1.jpg

Cab/frame differences-97-frame-2.jpg

Best idea would be to drive your CC up next to the standard frame and look under it to see how they matched the 2 up.

Best info I can find.

On edit, looks like this info is for standard, non C&C frames, dimensions lay out that the 138 is for a Eat cab short bed truck, not a C&C.

I would almost guarantee you that the standard cab will interchange between std and CC chassis.
Old 12-05-2016, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by deere country
You could help by giving a better description. You didn't specify the year of the second chassis you talked about. What is it exactly that you are wanting to do?
Original post says what I'm wanting to do. Got a 1998 C&C 138" wheelbase, 2WD, weighing my options on possibly swapping the cab onto a 135" wheelbase frame. The frame I'm looking at is a 135" wheelbase frame which would be a regular cab dually, 1997 model.
Originally Posted by patdaly
Ok, here goes.

While it looks like the frame dimensions are slightly different between the 135 and the 138" WB ( standard to CC ), the parts book doesn't show any difference in the cab floors where the body mounts are. They do show an adapter frame to body that I don't remember on any of mine, so could that be how they adapt the CC frame to a standard cab?

Anyway, here are the dimensions of the various frames.

Attachment 46958

Attachment 46959

Best idea would be to drive your CC up next to the standard frame and look under it to see how they matched the 2 up.

Best info I can find.

On edit, looks like this info is for standard, non C&C frames, dimensions lay out that the 138 is for a Eat cab short bed truck, not a C&C.

I would almost guarantee you that the standard cab will interchange between std and CC chassis.
Thanks for that info, that's awesome. I'll have to check it out when I can get to a computer, pictures on the phone are all blurry can't really make out the dimensions.

Will all the frames from 94-02 be the same? In other words can I use any 04-02 135" wb frame or do I need to stick to a 98 specifically since that's what year this pickup is?
Old 12-06-2016, 08:23 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by Twinky_Bomb
Original post says what I'm wanting to do. Got a 1998 C&C 138" wheelbase, 2WD, weighing my options on possibly swapping the cab onto a 135" wheelbase frame. The frame I'm looking at is a 135" wheelbase frame which would be a regular cab dually, 1997 model.

Thanks for that info, that's awesome. I'll have to check it out when I can get to a computer, pictures on the phone are all blurry can't really make out the dimensions.

Will all the frames from 94-02 be the same? In other words can I use any 04-02 135" wb frame or do I need to stick to a 98 specifically since that's what year this pickup is?
No, Gen 2's aren't year specific, but as you can see, the C&C frames are all 4WD with a dummy axle, while the standard Dually uses the Independent suspension.

I take it you are trying to get rid of the 4 link front end for death wobble?
Old 12-06-2016, 09:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Like patdaly says, the c&c is the same for both as far as cab mounting. If you need any exact measurements, I have a c&c frame with the dummy front axle outside my shop. Just let me know and ill run out with a tape measure.
Old 12-06-2016, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by patdaly
No, Gen 2's aren't year specific, but as you can see, the C&C frames are all 4WD with a dummy axle, while the standard Dually uses the Independent suspension.

I take it you are trying to get rid of the 4 link front end for death wobble?
Really bought the pickup as a project thinking I could put a regular bed on it but obviously not. That's why I'm considering finding a 135" wb frame and swapping the cab engine tranny over. If I could I'd like to stick with the solid axle front end, so I guess now that it's settled that the cab will fit on any 135" WB frame from 94-02, can the solid axle front end be swapped over?
Originally Posted by richard
Like patdaly says, the c&c is the same for both as far as cab mounting. If you need any exact measurements, I have a c&c frame with the dummy front axle outside my shop. Just let me know and ill run out with a tape measure.
Awesome, thanks.
Old 12-06-2016, 06:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
To use the solid front axle you would have to start with a 4x4 chassis. The 2wd 3500 pickup uses very different front end geometry. The solid front axle is used on the c&c truck lust like the 2500, 3500 4x4. But instead of being used as a drive axle, it is only a hollow tube.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cab/frame differences