2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

blower motor does not work on the high position ?

Old 09-18-2010, 01:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
blower motor does not work on the high position ?

i have been reading up on how the realy, and blower motor resistor all work, the motor currently runs on the 3 lower positions, but not the high one, to clarify when i first turn it on after sitting for a while, it will run for about 30 seconds to a minute on the high setting, and then cut off, sometimes while driving it will kick back for for another 10-15sec., and then right back off if i leave the switch in the high position. i know that the blower motor resistor is working, i did inspect the resistor, it is cracked in several spots so i am going to replace it even thought it appears to be working. i have not replaced the relay yet, but i did swap it out with the relay that is under the hood that was used for the fuel heater(got a FASS no longer need it...), and again only the lower 3 settings work, there may be the possibility of that relay not working properly either, so i know i need to replace that. i have power going to the relay obviously with the lower 3 setting working, while i had the resistor out of the heater box and was playing with the switch, the resistor got soo hot that i couldnt touch it, does this mean that the resistor is indeed bad? this happend within a minute of running the blower motor, i know the relay is what controls the high setting on the blower motor, but is there any possiblity that the resistor is cauing it to loose voltage/current on the high setting? i also have a leaking heater core, which is getting replaced next weekend, what are the chances that coolant has gotten in the blower motor, and it causing it to short out on the high setting? thanks for any informaition guys!

Wes
Old 09-18-2010, 01:28 PM

the cracked resister is most likely your problem...
Old 09-18-2010, 01:36 PM

If I recall correctly, to test the resistor, use an ohmmeter and check for continuity between all possible combinations of terminals, If ANY combination of terminals does not have continuity then the resistor is bad and needs replacing, I can check my manual later tonight if this does not work for you but pretty sure that is the test. sorry about the heater core....that sucks, not looking forward to doing mine. The resistor getting hot is very normal, like too hot to touch. as it is an intermitent problem, repeatedly check it after it has quit
Old 09-18-2010, 02:20 PM

but if the resistor did not have continutiy on one of the plugs, wouldn't one of the 3 lower setting not work? i guess what i need to know is if the resistor is bypased altogether on the high setting, is only the relay being used to power the blower motor?
Old 09-18-2010, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by wdimig
but if the resistor did not have continutiy on one of the plugs, wouldn't one of the 3 lower setting not work? i guess what i need to know is if the resistor is bypased altogether on the high setting, is only the relay being used to power the blower motor?
I'll try and look it up after work and get back to you, . I did the test a little while ago, turned out I had a bad blower motor. dont recall anything about that but it may have said "if your fan only works on high........" that 25 buck shop manual sure has been handy!
Old 09-19-2010, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by wdimig
WES, you are absolutely correct, your resistor is fine and your problem is with the relay or wiring or blower motor? The manual states that if the blower motor works in high but not any or one of the lower positions then test the resistor. start with the relay and contacts I guess, or the blower motor itself and try direct voltage (bench test), maybe try your meter on the blower dc supply and check for drops, sorry for the misdirection, al
Old 09-19-2010, 08:04 AM

it was the switch on mine. I was able to dis assemble it and clean the contacts. been working for two years now....
Old 09-19-2010, 07:51 PM

yup, had the resistor unplugged from the circuit and started it up today, turned the switch to high, blower came on for about 20 sec., and cut off. im ****** cause nobody has the **** relay instock for this thing!! auto zone tried telling me that it didn't even have one, i went out to the truck, and brought it in and showed them right then and there, they looked it up again, and brought out some male prong relay that wasn't even close, so i left ****** off cause it said the had one instock online, whatever, oh and while, went to napa just down the road, they didn't have it either, but said the could have it tomorrow, and the guy behind the counter actually had apicute that looked like what i needed. oh and side note while i was at autozone, i checked on a new heater core, they had one stock which was supposed to be made by spectra, and did not have the swivel ends according to all the pictures that i have seen online, sure enough dissapointed again, the **** thing has the swivel ends on it, i don't want the swivel end becuase it is just another possible leak path down the road, and i really don't feel like paying $180 for one at the **** dealship, when the one at autozone is a third of the price($50), grrrrr im just frustrated! im gonna keep looking and see what i can find.
Old 09-20-2010, 08:22 PM

ok, after digging tonight it's not the relay, or the blower motor, but it sure as heck was the wire that was pulled out of the plastic strip that plugs into the back of the a/c switch/control housing!!!! after fishing wires, and not quite understanding where the two wires from the relay were going, i decided to remove the pannel, and see if the power wires went to that, sure enough i found them, and the wire that goes to the blower motor that supplies current to it on high(the one that was not in it's socket all the way!!!), i had replaced that whole pannel maybe 3 years ago due to a vaccumm leak, yet somehow the problem just showed up last year?? the wire was pulled out just enough to make contact, and loose contact. ran it on high for 5min. straight with no issues so far! gotta love stupid simple problems!