2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Battery cut off switch

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 11:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Battery cut off switch

I've had no start issue three times this year. Dead batteries. I put brand new batteries in the first time as one battery was stone dead and the other barely had enough to start the truck.

So here we are again... Dead batteries. I've checked for draw but I keep getting very little draw less than half an amp. Something is causing an intermittent high drain to kill both batteries over night.

I don't have any issues with the truck. Everything seems to work fine. I thought the AC clutch was the problem but it cycles about every 15 sec, all the lights work, the radio works, cruise works. The starter works fine, I just put a new Crank Position Sensor in.

Could I just put a battery cut out switch in and shut the batteries off when I leave the truck? I have one on my streetrod that works great. I know the clock and odometer will be off but that's not a real problem. It won't affect the computer will it?

My streetrod has one with a solenoid that is connected across the battery so I just turn on the switch which activates the main battery connection.

Remote Disconnect w/Latching SolenoidDetails | Painless Performance
Old 07-06-2015, 02:21 PM
Sausage Aficionado (In training)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I can't think of any reason that a battery cutoff switch would cause you problems. You are correct about the clock losing time and the stereo will lose its programmed channels but that is the only downside I can think of. Also, I cannot think of any reason this would affect your odometer.
Old 07-06-2015, 06:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tall guy..Thanks for the help. I should have said "trip odmeter". The total miles is not affected by disconnecting batteries.

I've since found that the AC compressor clutch is the culprit. It does click off and on. The relay was very warm again and I think it was stuck on. I just replaced the relay a couple weeks ago with the last spare. I'll have to get a couple more. The AC works very well, I just tested it a month ago.

Mean time I think I'll order the battery cut off. They are about $140 but a jump start out in the boonies where I train dogs would probably be more than that. I have AAA RV but I have used my quota for the year and still have three months to go. I've had a bad year for truck problems. Wheel bearing ate up a spindle, 2 crank position senders and 3 jump starts and 2 new batteries.